Why become a member? ×

Boss FV-500-L vs Boss FV-500-H?

Greg.Bassman

Hi all.

Shopping for an expression pedal, to control the decay on some of my effects.

Have my eye on the FV-500's. I understand build quality on these are superb- so no worries there.

Just wondered what the difference is between LOW and HIGH impedance though? and how will each effect my effects?

Cheers.

The FV-500H has a high(ish) impedance input, so you can plug a guitar straight into without loading down the signal too much - plugging a guitar straight into a low impedance input would significantly attenuate treble frequencies and possibly cause a volume drop.

The FV-500L has a low impedance input, designed typically to accept the low impedance output of an effects pedal (or a keyboard for example). It also has stereo inputs and outputs.

So the impedance issue is only really of relevance to it's function as a volume pedal, not an expression pedal. As far as I know both versions have the same expression pot value (B10K - the FV-500L definitely does, I have one). So if you're only ever going to use it as an expression it doesn't really matter which you go for. If you ever plan to use it as a volume pedal however, then you'd want the FV-500H if you're plugging a passive guitar/bass straight into it. The FV-500L can be used if an effect(s) is between it and your instrument, however a FV-500H can be used this way also. In this respect the FV-500H is more flexible.

Personally I wouldn't plug a bass straight into a FV-500H because it's input impedance is still a bit on the low side (250K I think) - I'd have an effect/buffer first then the volume pedal. It's a good pedal build quality wise though, feels sturdy and easy to use.