Why become a member? ×

South west bass bash, yes a real one. Sunday 18th October.

Jimrs2k2

Hey there,

It was me with the retro bass and the old Sovtek fuzz, The bass was indeed a Reverend Rumblefish, great basses with the best necks ever. They look bizarre but can be a real fender jazz killer.. I had some flats on that one but need to get some round-wounds back on there as the bass really shines with them.

Next time i will hopefully be able to bring more and get my pedalboard sorted out so people can try it properly!!

[quote name='tanuki' timestamp='1445375776' post='2891106']
Hey there,

It was me with the retro bass and the old Sovtek fuzz, The bass was indeed a Reverend Rumblefish, great basses with the best necks ever. They look bizarre but can be a real fender jazz killer.. I had some flats on that one but need to get some round-wounds back on there as the bass really shines with them.

Next time i will hopefully be able to bring more and get my pedalboard sorted out so people can try it properly!!
[/quote]

that rev was a nice bass!

andy

Before leaving this thread the highlights for me in no particular order were
Lakland Decade
The Reverant
The little Ashbury (I want one)
65 P bass
Yamaha 1500
Shuker Custom
Status King Bass
Andy's pedal board
Meeting friends and fellow enthusiasts

I also like hearing others play my gear. It is amazing how different bass kit can sound in someone els's hands.

I'd love to hear any comments about the homebrew 1x12's if any of you tried them. Are we in the right ballpark given that these would cost you less than £150 and will go very loud compared with most commercial 1x12's. Any feedback will be used to improve future designs.

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1445468443' post='2891783']
How did I miss the Rev? A very sixties looking bass and they also did a 5 string. Whats not to love! I want a go!
[/quote]

Next time, it will still be around :)

Was nice meeting new bass people, i tend to find that we tend to meet less because we never join bands together!

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1445501764' post='2891885']
I'd love to hear any comments about the homebrew 1x12's if any of you tried them. Are we in the right ballpark given that these would cost you less than £150 and will go very loud compared with most commercial 1x12's. Any feedback will be used to improve future designs.
[/quote]

In answer to the question, I thought for the money these are astonishing value ( assuming self build?). Soundwise I'd have to A/B with my cab but aesthetically they look too 'barefaced' for me, I know that's me being very shallow!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1445683231' post='2893352']
Was that a "rogue" or genuine bump?
[/quote]

genuine bump... I just the the BC cabs needed more comments on them since a lot of effort had gone into them
and feedback would probably be important to the guys who built them.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1445501764' post='2891885']
[/quote]
Sorry I didn't give them more attention, there was lots going on. I thought they looked really well built and sounded good from what I heard.

Thanks for the comments, and thanks to Woodinblack for posting the sound clips. Keep them coming.

Sorry about the Barefaced look, (I hope Alex doesn't see this) the 12mm cab was the test bed prototype aand hasn't been finished at all other than a coat of blackboard paint so it could be used at gigs. The other was given one coat of Tuffcab and went out to the bash with the paint still wet! Thanks to GrahamT for transporting it for me. I'll fit a proper grille when it comes home.

The point about a homebrew is that you make the choice of finish and handles etc. They can look very professional or as amateur as you like.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1445703705' post='2893602']
The point about a homebrew is that you make the choice of finish and handles etc. They can look very professional or as amateur as you like.
[/quote]

Not in my case, I like professional, but my abilities would say no :D

A great sounding cab that looks cheap with no brand name on it could be ideal for those dodgier venues. I preferred cab B - the one on the right. I think it was the one without the bracing? It had clearer high-mids if I remember rightly. If I needed an extra cab for my MarkBass CMD 121P combo I'd definitely consider that one.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1445712138' post='2893700']
A great sounding cab that looks cheap with no brand name on it could be ideal for those dodgier venues. I preferred cab B - the one on the right. I think it was the one without the bracing? It had clearer high-mids if I remember rightly. If I needed an extra cab for my MarkBass CMD 121P combo I'd definitely consider that one.
[/quote]
Was your favourite the one with the slot port or the four round ports? I think they got muddled at some stage in the bash.

You've got me worried about the buzz, I'm hoping it is no more than the leads inside being loose. I didn't notice a buzz on the recordings or at home so I'm assuming that the cabs were moved at some stage and whatever buzzed stopped buzzing. I really had to rush the cabs out of the door to get them to the bash so Its quite possible the cables may have touched against the cone at some stage

It's interesting, Stevie and I both preferred Cab A for it's cleaner sound whereas it looks like a couple of people preferred the other cab for its extra mids, which we think is down to cabinet resonances. The bracing shifts resonances upwards in frequency so it isn't too surprising to find this.

Stevie is running a few more tests but it looks like we are just about finished with this design. I'll start writing it up so anyone who wants can build a copy.