Why become a member? ×

South west bass bash, yes a real one. Sunday 18th October.

Jimrs2k2

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1445259831' post='2889983']
what was the retro looking bass with the jazz style pickups & the lovely rolled edges to the fretboard?
Didnt get a chance to plug it in, looked very cool!
[/quote]
The Reverant I think...?

Is there a list of what was there as it was a really interesting mix?

Edited by Pinball

Well that went well I thought, thanks to everyone who turned up, and was a fair number.
Some great kit on show, markbass challenge was good sound files to follow later thanks to woodinblack and he's toys.

I will probably try to sort another bash in the spring/summer if there's enough interest.

Jim.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1445275896' post='2890186']

that thing made my wallet scared! lovely playing bass!

ive forgotten the guy who had its name! had a really nice sovtek fuzz aswell!

andy
[/quote]
_tanuki on bc, Guy was his real name iirc.

That Fender custom shop bass with the semi-hollow P body, jazz neck and P/humbucker combo was just so lovely David. As was the 65 P and the Shuker and the Warwick. If I had a house to sell... :)

I think the take-home message from the MarkBass shootout was that you can still buy with confidence from MarkBass. Nothing wrong at all with their Indonesian-made combos. Also, the tweeter mod (on my Indonesian one) seems to help push the mids out and give the combo more presence.

So as a start, here are two sound clips, aa.wav, and bb.wav.
They are both the recordings done at the bass bash of a Markbass CMD 121p. One of them is the Italian one and one of them is the Indonesian one. The Italian one is stock, the Indonesian has a replacement tweeter. There is a P Bass being played through it.

So which is better?

A: [attachment=203090:aa.wav]

B: [attachment=203091:bb.wav]

In normal basschat post way, you probably have to download then and rename them back to .wav!

With a spectrum analysis on the source files, I was surprised to learn that the noticeable difference is that A has a peak at 400Hz that B doesn't have, and is much stronger around 3khz. B is 6db down at those frequencies. Other than that they are very similar.

Obviously these aren't perfect samples but there were some other samples from both, and it is borne out in those too.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1445347961' post='2890739']
With a spectrum analysis on the source files, I was surprised to learn that the noticeable difference is that A has a peak at 400Hz that B doesn't have, and is much stronger around 3khz. B is 6db down at those frequencies. Other than that they are very similar.

Obviously these aren't perfect samples but there were some other samples from both, and it is borne out in those too.
[/quote]

I think it may be that 400Hz content that I like less about the first recording - it sounds sort of boxy to my ears.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1445189115' post='2889458']
....The only thing we established for sure is that the indonesian MarkBass combo is better than the Italian one for weight and sound!
[/quote]

Well, there you have it folks! I think we can put that mischievous little puppy to bed at last then!!! Haha!

It really was great to meet you all, so sorry I had to dash off at 2.30, but money doesn't make itself unfortunately (unless I'm getting it seriously wrong!!). Lots of familiar faces and lots of new ones too!

I prefer sample B. It sounds a little more musical and has a nicer top mid/top end to it. Without giving away which was which I know that I preferred the combo that was on the right hand side (as you looked at them) slightly over the other one for the same reasons. However both did sound really good.

My combo is the Indonesian one with the tweeter mod. Let us know which one was which in the recordings!

I should have popped the stock tweeter back in for the test in hindsight but next time eh?