Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT owners, advice/experience needed

donslow

I'll try and keep this short.......

I have an SVT Pro 2 which I run through an SVT Classic 6x10 cabinet

To me, absolutely faultless, love it to pieces, with a p-bass, I've found "my" tone after ALOT of guitar and amp changes

Anyway.......to the point.......

As you may be aware my amp has a separate eq section that you can engage via foots witch for boosts, solos, tone changes etc

I can honestly say, I never have and can't see me ever using this section of the amp, I'm wondering if it's worth selling / trading the pro 2 for another ampeg as it seems a waste to have it there unused

is there an amp that is the SVT Pro 2 without this extra section? Basically I'm after the exact same amp but without a section that will be wasted

Is it worth doing or should I just continue as I am if I am happy with my tone to this point?

I never used this EQ because it messes up the sound and the dynamics.
2PRO has another unique feature, which is a great overdrive section. I`d leave the amp. If the weight doesn`t bother you.
2PRO is one of the best or even THE best modern SVT.

Edited by mazdah

I always thought the EQ stage was the worst part about it....the good thing being that a good bass wouldn't need that
stage anyway as the power section rescues it.

For me..that same stage on the SVTlll pro is pretty useless and the reason why the amp..for me..doesn't work, is because
the power stage doesn't bail it out.

The SVTll is great despite the EQ issue...IMO. I'd carry on as usual. It is normally the weight that flags up this amp
not EQ.

Think I'm inclined to stay with the majority, love the features and tone I am getting and from what you guys have said and what I have found, there is little chance of finding THAT tone elsewhere, I think that's why I started searching for a pro 2 before buying as if heard the pro 2 is the ampeg sound

It's a shame that technically half of the amp remains unused and wasted for want of a better term but hey, if the rest of it can't be matched elsewhere, that's the flip side surely

Not using the graphic is as valid a choice as using it. The features are there to be used or not depending on the sound you like.

I don't understand why you think you should be using everything on the amp all the time.

I didn't use the graphic on my Mesa 400+ or on the SVT3 PRO and I don't use much of the EQ on the TH500. If the basic sound is exactly what you want then where is the problem?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1443719676' post='2877177']
Not using the graphic is as valid a choice as using it. The features are there to be used or not depending on the sound you like.

I don't understand why you think you should be using everything on the amp all the time.

I didn't use the graphic on my Mesa 400+ or on the SVT3 PRO and I don't use much of the EQ on the TH500. If the basic sound is exactly what you want then where is the problem?
[/quote]

I can see your point but really I was mostly wondering if there was another amp that would match the pro 2 as I consider not using the graphic at all a bit of a waste

I figured, if I could get, essentially a pro 2 without the graphic, then my one could be passed on and get used entirely, as does that make sense?!

If you really want to pursue this...you could demo a DB750/751.
The EQ on these amps is quite subtle and it has a great power stage.
Personally I think it is a modern take on the Ampeg SVT and I'd say...for my purpsoes,
does it better.
It is lighter at around 60lbs...which isn't light but is a one man lift.
I also think the gain stage is more under control.

For me, the best thing about the SVT is the power stage not the EQ as I said so I
wouldn't go for the drivey element in a sound.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1443720750' post='2877186']
I think you bought it from me and I never used the graphic
[/quote]

Was your one and really, couldn't be happier with it!

Was just wondering really if there was an alternative ampeg that sounded as good, I can't seem to find any so the pro 2 is staying put, it's a shame I have no use for the graphic eq but, I guess it's always there if I did find a use for it, currently, there's no need

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1443719183' post='2877168']
It's a shame that technically half of the amp remains unused and wasted for want of a better term but hey, if the rest of it can't be matched elsewhere, that's the flip side surely
[/quote]

Technically it is just a solid state EQ, you are still using all tubes in your all tube amp. Dont waste your time and sound trying to use graphic EQ.

One day it MIGHT come in handy, once a few years you might play in a venue so boomy, that you will have to turn that graphic EQ ON, to ruin the amp dynamics but save others from boomoness ;)