Why become a member? ×

Pedal Newbie - Overdrive help

Pow_22

[size=4][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"]After a budget-ish overdrive pedal for my bass and am a bit lost with it all being fairly new to pedals.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][font="Times New Roman"][color="#000000"] [/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"]Basically the tone im after is the bass intro to Chelsea Dagger by fratellis – so a fairly aggressive sound but still with plenty of bottom end in. I used to use an Ashdown valve amp so for this song I just used my LPB-1 booster pedal that pushed the valves into breakup. However, im now back to a hybrid head and whilst I love the normal tone I (obviously) just cant get the amp to break up the same.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"]I did get hold of a pic of the Fratellis bass pedal board and noticed he seems to use a guitar OD pedal in the Boss Blues Driver but when I tried this the bottom end just fell out of the mix and got completely lost.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"]I don’t want to spend too much as its an effect ill barely use (I don’t really use any!) so ive been looking at the likes of the Ibanez PD7, EXH Hot Tubes Nano etc.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"]To give an idea of my setup im using a ’76 P bass with flatwounds into an Ampeg SVT3 (non pro) and an Ampeg 410HE.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"]Any help from pedal players greatly appreciated[/font][/color][/size]

I've been considering one of these, after hearing the pedal it's modeled on used in one of those "100 best bass riffs" videos...

This is the video, he is using an OCD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-RjmUFec40

This is the Joyo clone of an OCD:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005J5D38W

I don't have personal experience of this pedal though, beyond the sounds in that video!

Are you any good with a soldering iron and small components/PCBs?
If so, check out the Fuzz Dog catalogue of DIY pedal kits, you can build an OCD pedal for about £25 or so. You could also purchase a Boss ODB-3 and mod it with the Monte Allums kit, that would probably set you back about £60 with a second hand ODB-3

The Joyo stuff is ok......meh

Si

I recently got a DV mini dist (the Markbass off brand or guitar brand, IDK) and I'm very happy with it.

I think the fact that you get two knobs, one for bass and one for treble, makes it very easy to shape the low end and keep the sound consistent (if that's what you are after) between on/off.

9/10 would recommend.

A bass overdrive with a blend control which allows you to mix your clean sound back in with the overdrive sound is the way to go as it lets you keep the low end intact.
Check out the EHX Bass Soul Food -fantastic warm sounding drive and inexpensive. Love mine to bits and couldn't recommend it more !

EHX Bass Soul Food is an excellent budget pedal, so I'd recommend trying one of those. If you've already got an OD unit and want to keep the low end then I'd look at a blend pedal that will allow you to mix clean, un-overdriven signal with a dirty, gnarly effect, thereby maintaining your low end.

Be aware though, that the studio recording you're referencing will more than likely be recorded this way (take a clean feed directly from the bass to mix with the overdriven signal) which makes replicating the sound somewhat tricky. My own personal favourite is the Dave Hall VT1 DI-EQ, but I understand that it's not a budget pedal - add a dash of the Waves R Bass plugin in the studio and it's every bass sound you'll ever need. Hard to replicate live though.