Why become a member? ×

Tested Steve Harris p bass Olympic white

SH73

This bass feels and sounds like a beast. Most people say it's heavy with chunky neck. I went to a music store and tested one today,played IM riffs with ease. My fingers aren't long and had no issues. The only disadvantage is that I was unable to buy it as we are expecting a baby, and already own four guitars and two amps. The bass looks, feels and sounds great. Not a WH fan but the FC crest would not bother me at all.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1443782188' post='2877621']
I much prefer the old blue one IMO I think the West Ham logo on the front of the new one looks really cheap and tacky but might be OK for a football fan? I wonder if the new logo will get punters mouthing off at the player of this bass? because we all know football talk and beer=trouble lol
[/quote]

That's a good point, I didn't think of that when I ordered.

My family has got some history with West Ham anyway, so that's not too bad and if I took it out live it would be for that reason!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1443784589' post='2877641']
I've got one of the the Blue sparkle ones from 2009. Was actually one of the first to come into the UK...Bloody Marvelous!

I've also put the new spb-4 pickup in mine (comes standard on the white one now)
[/quote]

The SPB-4 is a lovely pickup. Really, really, really nice dynamically.

Got one too and I love it. I'm not interested in football so the white west ham logo doesn't bother me. It plays really well and I think it looks great.

It's a signature bass that gets you as close as possible to Steves own axe. That's why Fender released it with the West Ham badge on it so its identical to Steves favourite bass!

Edited by deaky

[quote name='deaky' timestamp='1443794940' post='2877772']
Got one too and I love it. I'm not interested in football so the white west ham logo doesn't bother me. It plays really well and I think it looks great.

It's a signature bass that gets you as close as possible to Steves own axe. That's why Fender released it with the West Ham badge on it so its identical to Steves favourite bass!
[/quote]

Is that the bass that was refinished quite a few times?

Not up to date on our Arry's history.

Yes I think it's on its 4th refin. Fender have even used maple as the body for the bass just like Steves which was used back in the 70s by Fender. That's what adds the weight to the bass. It's got a wonderful thick neck and for anyone dubious about the Made in Mexico Fenders the fit and finish of this bass is excellent.

[quote name='deaky' timestamp='1443806652' post='2877916']
Fender have even used maple as the body for the bass just like Steves which was used back in the 70s by Fender.
[/quote]

Pretty sure Fender only used ash and the odd bit of alder for body wood in the 70s, never come across a maple - bodied P or J from that decade...

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one of these too. It's mega and has a fab neck.
The headstock tint is basically recreating the 70's look. They had a supply of decals that curled up if they sprayed poly laquer on them, so they used nitro only, for the face of the headstock. This turns yellow over time leaving the poly on the neck still clear.

Plus I'm a hammers fan and an 'Arry fan too.

• 2 weeks later...