Why become a member? ×

Overdrive & Distortion WTH!!!

blue

I have no problem with applying chorus, bass octave, phase or anything like that. I rotate several single coil and humbucker basses.

Why does is seem so hard to dial in overdrive and distortion. I always experience volume surge, hiss and all sorts of annoyances.

I'm using the MRX-85 for distortion and [size=4]the Dr J - Soloman Bass Overdrive .[/size]

[size=4]Suggestions[/size]

[size=4]Blue[/size]

I tend to find if i run either of my distortion or overdrive pedals there okay, but as soon as i try and run them with a compression pedal they seem to start hissing at me, im sure theres an intelligent reason for this but shouting at them hasnt solved it yet, ill keep trying

its worth keeping in mind that its could also be how they effect your amp, the volume bump is easy to sort but you might find that one of those pedals has a mid hump so will push your amp harder or one will have a mid scoop and you have to dial the amp a certain way which will effect other things.

a non daisy chain power supply will help but drive is a really tricky thing to get right, as it really down to your ears and lots of trial and error!

andy

I find that when I'm swapping between basses the output varies somewhat, which has a knock-on effect on my pedal board - particularly the envelope filter and valve O/D unit. I'm looking at putting a small booster in my fretless to ensure parity between the outputs. Have you tried a compressor at the start of your pedal board just to level things out a bit?

[quote name='AlexDelores' timestamp='1443737130' post='2877395']
I tend to find if i run either of my distortion or overdrive pedals there okay, but as soon as i try and run them with a compression pedal they seem to start hissing at me, im sure theres an intelligent reason for this but shouting at them hasnt solved it yet, ill keep trying
[/quote]

Maybe that's the problem.I run compression all night.

Blue

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443741567' post='2877423']
If your cab has a tweeter you may want to turn it off.

Apart from that, overdrive and distortion usually mean gain, so some increase in noise par for the course imho.

Small price to pay for the roar of a nicely messed-up bass.
[/quote]

I will make sure our sound person has my horns off.

Blue

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1443738955' post='2877416']
I find that when I'm swapping between basses the output varies somewhat, which has a knock-on effect on my pedal board - particularly the envelope filter and valve O/D unit. I'm looking at putting a small booster in my fretless to ensure parity between the outputs. Have you tried a compressor at the start of your pedal board just to level things out a bit?
[/quote]

Paul,

My compressor (EBS) is second to last in my chain. You think I should move it more towards the front of the chain ,like after my chromatic tuner?

Blue

1/2 the fun of a pedal board is changing pedal order to get the sound to your liking.
When I used fx, I had my signal split & put distortion on the mid & treble only, keeping the low end free of it, though there was a slight amount of drive on the lows too.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443746665' post='2877435']
I will make sure our sound person has my horns off.

Blue
[/quote]

Deffo a plan.

Also, if you're getting a surge in volume, what's preventing you from reducing the volume of the distortion pedal(s) ?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443746961' post='2877436']

Paul,

My compressor (EBS) is second to last in my chain. You think I should move it more towards the front of the chain ,like after my chromatic tuner?

Blue
[/quote]

Remember, what a compressor does is make the loud bits quieter and the quiet bits louder. Put it late in the chain and it will make any background hiss much more pronounced. Gainy pedals like Od and distortion tend to be noisy so any hiss from those pedals will be amplified by the compressor if it's after them in the chain.

[quote name='AlexDelores' timestamp='1443737130' post='2877395']
[/quote]

I have 3 shows this weekend. I am going to try running my board without my EBS compression.

Blue

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1443819584' post='2878038']
I cheat and use a Darkglass Duality Fuzz. When that isn't appropriate, I use a Boss ODB 3 with the distortion up high but the distorted signal down low and the clean signal up high.
[/quote]

I had to get rid of my ODB 3, I could never get that thing to work right.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1444165820' post='2880892']

I have 3 shows this weekend. I am going to try running my board without my EBS compression.

Blue
[/quote]

Before junking the compressor altogether try running it first or second in your signal chain. That's what all the interweb effects guru types suggest. The reasons they quote are all pretty valid in terms of reducing the noise in the signal it sees.

http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Pedal-Board-Diagram1.png

Here are a couple of good articles on pedal placement from a couple of reputable sources...

http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/how-to-chain-your-guitar-effects-pedals/

http://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/gear-tips-advice-effects-pedal-order-271818

Edited by TrevorR

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FretNoMore

Heavier overdrive or distortion is in effect a kind of compression, so you could even try switching off the compressor when using distortion.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1444924002' post='2887411']
So any results or conclusions from your experiments yet? Curious to know...
[/quote]

Not yet, I really didn't have time to mess around with anything this past weekend. Right now both the joya bass over drive and the MRX-85 seem weird to me.

Blue

Edited by blue

Or a good excuse to buy more gear... I run a Basswitch and have the compressor in one loop and run my drive effects into the mix loop which does a great job of keeping my levels manageable if use a different basses, gives me a solids reliable D.I. signal and allows me to keep a good clean tone and mix in the filth. I'm not getting any unwanted noises apart from the ones I make.

Obviously more gear is never the answer ;)