Why become a member? ×

Clip light on Aguilar tone hammer 350.... Help.

spyder

Guys, Can someone with a tone hammer 350 amp tell me if the clip light comes on when the preamp or power amp is overdriven as mine does not light up.
I think it is supposed to light when the preamp starts to distort.

Thanks.

Edited by spyder

From the manual -

When the Clip light turns red it indicates that the preamp is being driven into clipping. Clipping can be a desirable characteristic, depending on your taste. If you would like a cleaner sound you can experiment with the input pad, Gain, Drive, and Tone Controls. All of these things, including the output level of your bass, affect how often the light will go off. Clipping the Tone Hammer 350 will not cause any shutdowns or damage to your amplifier.

That should clarify it!!!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1443780855' post='2877600']
From the manual -

When the Clip light turns red it indicates that the preamp is being driven into clipping. Clipping can be a desirable characteristic, depending on your taste. If you would like a cleaner sound you can experiment with the input pad, Gain, Drive, and Tone Controls. All of these things, including the output level of your bass, affect how often the light will go off. Clipping the Tone Hammer 350 will not cause any shutdowns or damage to your amplifier.

That should clarify it!!!
[/quote]

I agree, it should come on when the preamp is overdrive.
BUT... A few people have said it is the power section?????

If anyone has a 350 can you check with your amp.
Thanks.

It also says this:

C. Protection Features The Tone Hammer 350 is equipped with several protection circuits designed to prevent any damage to the amplifier in cases where the limits of the normal operating range are breached. Protections include an over current, an over temperature, DC, and HF detectors. If any of these circuits are triggered, the amplifier will either limit its output power, or shut down. In case of a shut down the amplifier will rapidly try to restart, checking if the faulty condition is still present. In case of shut down, both Operate and Status lights will turn off.

Perhaps some are confusing the 'clip' light with the 'Status' light?

Sorry - I know you're looking for an answer from an actual TH350 user - which I'm not! just trying to help... :)

Thanks for all the answers but I now have the correct answer.
The manual is wrong in saying it is a preamp clip light as it is a clip light for the power amp section.
It lights when power section starts to clip ( distort).

Clear as mud. 😉