Why become a member? ×

UAD: Used Amp Day - Ampeg SVT350H

discreet

[b]UAD: Used Amp Day - Ampeg SVT350H[/b]

[b]Specifications:[/b]
[url="http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/svt-350h.pdf"]http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/svt-350h.pdf[/url]

Why this is called an SVT I do not know, because 'SVT' stands for 'Super Valve Technology' and there are NO valves in the SVT350H. Not a single one. It's an all solid-state amp. It's basically an Ampeg B2R, which is a 350W 19" 2U rackmount SS amp. The SVT350H is a version of this amp that is supplied in a big wooden case that looks very much like Ampeg's true SVTs, i.e. the all-valve bass amp heads. So... I can only come to the conclusion that there is a market for amps that look like valve amps but are [i]not [/i]valve amps. There must be, otherwise why would Ampeg produce such a thing? You could say you like the look of the SVT but don't want the expense that valve maintenance and replacement can bring. You could also say you like the look of the SVT but don't want to haul a 36kg valve amp (the 350H is 20kg).

However, my somewhat tenuous reason for buying one is down to Ampeg GAS which stemmed from buying a Behringer BVT4500H, which looks like a big Ampeg SVT but is also not a valve amp. It's also not an Ampeg, either. Confused? Not really, the BVT costs just £88 including VAT and delivery to the UK, so it's a no-brainer. The BVT is a Behringer parts-bucket job featuring that company's well-tested 300W power amp and a large toroidal transformer. This SVT is a USA SLM (St Louis Music)-built Ampeg (which dates it somewhere between 1986 and 2005), featuring that company's components, a MOSFET power amp ...and a large toroidal transformer. The BVT is rated at 450W Peak (318W RMS @ 4ohms) and the SVT is rated at 350W RMS @ 4ohms.

Now then... considerable criticism has been directed at the SVT350H and its sister, the more-powerful SVT450H and they both get short shrift on bass forums here and elsewhere; partly because they're trying to look like something they're not - but mostly because received wisdom states they don't sound anywhere near as good as the all-valve amps they are impersonating - and to be fair, there is some truth in this. The best tone I've ever had was from a mighty USA Ampeg SVT-CL, 300W of all-valve muscle. Oh, yes. The SVT350H is not [i]quite [/i]in that league - BUT it's still a very loud, punchy amp with bags of heft, loads of character and an immensity that belies its transistorised guts. It's fairly similar in tone to my Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II, another chunky SS amp with ...a large toroidal transformer. The ABM is louder however, being rated at 575W RMS @ 4ohms.

I used the SVT350H with my Schroeder 21012L at an audition today and it rocked. Acoustic drums were loud and the guitarist was a Les Paul aficionado with a Marshall 2X12 50W valve combo and extension cabinet. The Ampeg kept up easily with the master at 10:00, and it was [i]loud[/i]. It's a big-sounding amp and I was able to summon a pleasing amount of projection, attack and the Ampeg piano-like low-mid 'boing' with the EQ boosted slightly at 150Hz. This with a P-Bass straight into the input, no FX or preamp used. The rotary EQ controls were at 12:00. I got some favourable comments on the sound I was getting. I'd gig with this amp, no problem. It looks good, it's loud, hefty and very present, it's not as heavy as an all-valve amp and there's room to keep all your cables, bits and pieces and even a back-up amp (in my case a G-K MB200) [i]inside [/i]the box, under the amp and in the space where the power valves and big iron transformers would usually be... whether it turns out to be a reliable machine or not, time will tell.

So I like it - and you probably would too. However, if you're on a budget and the 'real' all-valve Ampegs seem as out of reach as a new car - but you want a proper grown-up Ampeg bass amp for Behringer money - then I believe you'd do well to consider a used B2R (350W) or B2RE (450W), both of which manifest themselves as reasonable-looking 19" 2U SS amps, have the big sound and heft, and at 6.8kg and 11.8kg respectively are much lighter than the 350H. And you are likely to attract less laughing and finger-pointing in public, too. Probably.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1443810889' post='2877960']
A quick Google failed to bring up a UK retailer so did you buy yours used?
[/quote]

Yes I did, from this very boutique. In the OP I did say it dates from between 1986 and 2005, but I should probably have mentioned specifically that it's a used amp. Maybe it should be UAD instead of NAD...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1443812006' post='2877967']
Yes I did, from this very boutique. In the OP I did say it dates from between 1986 and 2005, but I should probably have mentioned specifically that it's a used amp. Maybe it should be UAD instead of NAD...
[/quote]

I did miss that, maybe I was thinking NOS!

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1443813719' post='2877978']
Thanks for another interesting read Discreet. Have you moved the BVT on yet, or is there still time for a detailed a/b comparison?
[/quote]

Unfortunately not, the BVT now enjoys a new life as an item of furniture in the dining room of Lozz196. :D

There's nothing wrong with the BVT, but the SVT is just more 'Ampeggy', unsurprisingly.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1443814179' post='2877981']

Unfortunately not, the BVT now enjoys a new life as an item of furniture in the dining room of Lozz196. :D

There's nothing wrong with the BVT, but the SVT is just more 'Ampeggy', unsurprisingly.
[/quote]
Fair do's. I guess it would make a great coffee table if nothing else.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1443814179' post='2877981']

[/quote]

Still a good amp for the money though. Am using the BVT tomorrow - provided speakers but no amp, so taking that along as all my eq comes from my Preamp/DI pedal.

But on the subject of the SVT350 - I`ve used the 450 version and was pleasantly surprised, given how those over on Talkbass go on about it. Walked int the room, saw it, dreaded using it, but really liked it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1443816135' post='2878001']
Am using the BVT tomorrow - provided speakers but no amp, so taking that along as all my eq comes from my Preamp/DI pedal.
[/quote]

Would be very interested to know how you get on with it. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1443819358' post='2878034']
[/quote]

I saw the BVT coupled with Lozz's BF cab at the SE Bass Bash. The Ampeg badge had me fooled, and I immediately assumed it was full of hot glass.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1443819358' post='2878034']
[/quote]

Didn`t get to use it in the end Mark - my mates car was too full for that one so the SVT3-PRO (minus any casing) got the job.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1443962928' post='2878985']
Didn`t get to use it in the end Mark - my mates car was too full for that one so the SVT3-PRO (minus any casing) got the job.
[/quote]

No problem Lozz, another day! Probably no big rush for an in-the-field review. ;)