Why become a member? ×

BASS COMPRESSOR PEDALS? recommedations please...

Greg.Bassman

I've never used a compressor before, (and admittedly) I've always tried to steer away from them, as I've feared that they might change my tone in some way.

I have a couple of effects pedals that I really like (in particular the Digitech Bass Synth Wah); a great sounding pedal, but seems to go crazy loud/sensitive when activated. Anyways, a friend suggested that I look into 'compression', just level everything out.

What are some of the better bass compressor pedals on the market right now; one that isn't going to compromise my tone per se, but rather, do exactly what compression is supposed to do, and simply squish everything together?

Cheers. Greg.

In general compression is not the best way to fix signal-chain gain issues, mainly because this will completely kill your dynamics, which is often not what people want. OTOH pedals that don't preserve unity gain are indeed a PITA, because if you don't leave them always on you really need some sort of looper in order to tame them. I suggest you try something like a Boss LS-2 for this. It's relatively cheap and has a million uses.

Edited by ProfFrink

I did for a long while always use an EBS Comp on my pedal board to deal with the same problem you are having. I thought I had some success and didn't lose anything using very mild compression.

I have just recently gone back to only using a tuner and phaser and done away with the compressor, it only comes out now for recording.
They are a nice compressor easy to setup and not too expensive

[quote name='ProfFrink' timestamp='1443848565' post='2878119']
In general compression is not the best way to fix signal-chain gain issues, mainly because this will completely kill your dynamics, which is often not what people want.
[/quote]

Unless used correctly. I find the most common problem with compression not to be raising the existing noise floor rather than killing off your attack/dynamics.
Is long as your using it as a compressor, not a limitor, set the relevant envelope settings, and are careful with your gain structure/power supply you should be fine.

I use my compressor early in my signal chain, to even out my playing/ volume across strings so that my pedals react in more of a predictable way. Others use a compressor towards the end of their chain, taoming undesired volume spikes that could occur. I am also thinking of getting a (second) sidechained compressor for after my dirt pedals to sidechain the kickdrum to.

http://www.ovnilab.com/ is THE place to go for compressor info/reviews. I'd definitely give the site a read.

I've only recently started using compression myself and whilst I got some great advice from here, the best advice I got was actually, as elephantgrey suggests, to check out the ovnilab website.
Really clear info on what compressors do and how they work, advice on how to set them up depending on what you're looking to achieve and detailed reviews on just about every compressor going.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1443861258' post='2878181']
Unless used correctly. I find the most common problem with compression not to be raising the existing noise floor rather than killing off your attack/dynamics.
Is long as your using it as a compressor, not a limitor, set the relevant envelope settings, and are careful with your gain structure/power supply you should be fine.

I use my compressor early in my signal chain, to even out my playing/ volume across strings so that my pedals react in more of a predictable way. Others use a compressor towards the end of their chain, taoming undesired volume spikes that could occur. I am also thinking of getting a (second) sidechained compressor for after my dirt pedals to sidechain the kickdrum to.

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url] is THE place to go for compressor info/reviews. I'd definitely give the site a read.
[/quote]

I wasn't suggesting that compressors can't be used for bass, and in fact I believe compression is one of the most commonly used effect for bass, and I absolutely agree.

However, the OP isn't planning to use it for the same purpose as you but rather to smooth the difference in gain across different effects, and IMHO this is not a good use of compression. If you have gain issues you should address them directly by fixing your gain.

Hi all. Cheers for your messages! I intend to use it for BOTH dry and wet signals (I hoped I could kill two birds with one pedal).

Anyways, this morning, my friend lent me the Boss CS-3 (compressor) for my dry signal, and the Boss LMB-3 (limiter) to try on my Synth Wah.

Any recommended settings are appreciated...

Cheers again.

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1443893854' post='2878577']
Hi all. Cheers for your messages! I intend to use it for BOTH dry and wet signals (I hoped I could kill two birds with one pedal).

Anyways, this morning, my friend lent me the Boss CS-3 (compressor) for my dry signal, and the Boss LMB-3 (limiter) to try on my Synth Wah.

Any recommended settings are appreciated...

Cheers again.
[/quote]

I use an (albeit modded) CS-3 and I love it [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/bosscs3.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...s/bosscs3.shtml[/url]

The settings I use arent a million miles away fom Bongo's suggestions, although I can crank the sustain a lot more since the mod ;)

Best
Daz..

Edited by Tuco

The best advice on compression I've seen is 51m0n's wiki posting, which is currently not available due to the continued inability or unwillingness of the site owners to fix the wiki.

Compression is very hit and miss without monitoring. It might work for you, and then again it might not, there doesn't seem to be a lot of science behind it. I've tried Demeter, EBS and Tech 21 and have settled for now on the MXR bass compressor, which does at least have some rudimentary monitoring.

You're probably looking for short attack, 4-8Db compression, soft knee, as long a release as your playing can stand. It always varies though, dependent on the bass you're using, room dynamics, so needs to be set up for every location.

I agree with ProfFrink that it's not a fix for gain issues, but there are some pedals which seem a lot happier with a more consistent and tightly defined signal, the Markbass Synth being one example. That plus your playing needs to be super clean or weird sh*t happens.

Yes. Monitoring is a huge plus for a compressor, especially if you're new to this effect and don't yet know exactly what to listen for.

I actually had the MXR and wasn't hugely impressed by it. Yes, it's a bit expensive but the build quality doesn't seem to match the price. Also the controls are a bit fiddly and I found myself often having to max out the input. It worked, but was not a very satisfying experience... I guess it's a reasonable compromise but if you can afford to go a bit more up-market and/or you're the kind of person (like myself) that these types of issues will really bother you, I suggest you look into the offerings from Keeley, Darkglass (if it's out yet), and Empress.

Big +1 for Ovnilab reviews.

Me, I've just got a Keeley Compressor Pro to replace the MXR. I don't yet have enough playing time to say much, but it does look like top-notch quality, and it also has a nice display.

Edited by ProfFrink

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend the Aguilar TLC. Fantastic at either Limiting or subtle compression with a mostly transparent operation. There is one second-hand on basschat at the moment I believe. Monitoring with your ears is easy enough when it comes to Limiting and you can also use your amp's clip LED for reference too.

Edited by Ruck

Ive tried using compressors a few times over the years. Never really found i needed one, but i can see how they can help.
The last one i had was the MXR one. It worked well and didnt really change my tone much, just tighten up things.

At the moment i have a Seymor Duncan Studio bass compressor pedal, and this is a bit different to a lot of the others. You can blend back in certain frequencies from the unaffected signal, and this helps to stop louder low notes (for example) triggering the compression and cutting the higher ones. You can also set it to allow some of the low end signal through unaffected, and so the higher peaks get tamed without loss of low note definition.
Ive never had ne that has this feature, and im finding really useful and a bit help during my transition from pick only to finger playing.
Im sure i wont have it for too long but its the most useful one ive used.
Not cheap at £180+ but for me it was worth it.

The Darkglass has just bumped my Empress off my board.

They are both amazing, but there is something about the Darkglass that I like better. Hard to put my finger on it though.

Now I'm in 2 minds whether to keep the Empress or move it on so I can free up some cash for something else. I seem to be craving a Univibe even though they are not generally known for use on bass.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with either of them.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1445261937' post='2890008']
Ive tried using compressors a few times over the years. Never really found i needed one, but i can see how they can help.
The last one i had was the MXR one. It worked well and didnt really change my tone much, just tighten up things.

At the moment i have a[b] Seymor Duncan Studio bass compressor pedal[/b], and this is a bit different to a lot of the others. You can blend back in certain frequencies from the unaffected signal, and this helps to stop louder low notes (for example) triggering the compression and cutting the higher ones. You can also set it to allow some of the low end signal through unaffected, and so the higher peaks get tamed without loss of low note definition.
Ive never had ne that has this feature, and im finding really useful and a bit help during my transition from pick only to finger playing.
Im sure i wont have it for too long but its the most useful one ive used.
Not cheap at £180+ but for me it was worth it.
[/quote]

I love this compressor! It is excellent for all the reasons you mention.

I'm also a huge fan of the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics and am rather excited to be getting my mits on a TC Electronic HyperGravity multi-band compressor too! Can't wait TC!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1445627496' post='2893017']
It was your video review that sold me on it :-). Until I watched it I couldn't understand why the blend control was there, but you explained it perfectly and I ordered it as soon as I had finished watching it.
[/quote]

Thank you Dave! That's brilliant. I am really pleased to hear that! 'Parallel compression' otherwise known as New York compression is totally my thing. It's a great 'more of everything' type of effect for hyper driving your bass on higher settings. The Hyper Gravity from TC has an extra string to it's bow too. it's a full 3 band multi band compressor which is controllable via the tone print software AND that lovely blend control is in there too! Perfect!

It should be me thanking you Dood. It really helped clear things up. I also got my BF Retro two 10 based partly on your review, although unfortunaly that didn't quite work out. You win one you lose one lol.

Compressors are some thing I buy when I have GAS but not sure for what. Over the years Ive never found one that was worth keeping. Guess that means I have never needed one. With this one it's different as I can actually hear a change in my sound, for the good. I got it as I was starting to play finger style (after so many years of using a pick), so it seemed like a good idea. It works for that but this one see se to do more. It does seem to change my tone for the good, due to the blend knob.
For me it's set and forget, I don't find I fiddle with it at all, and I guess that's a good thing.

Saying that, Im going through a lot of tonal changes at the moment, and I can see the comp will not be here this time next year.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1446301184' post='2898458']
It should be me thanking you Dood. It really helped clear things up. I also got my BF Retro two 10 based partly on your review, although unfortunaly that didn't quite work out. You win one you lose one lol.

Compressors are some thing I buy when I have GAS but not sure for what. Over the years Ive never found one that was worth keeping. Guess that means I have never needed one. With this one it's different as I can actually hear a change in my sound, for the good. I got it as I was starting to play finger style (after so many years of using a pick), so it seemed like a good idea. It works for that but this one see se to do more. It does seem to change my tone for the good, due to the blend knob.
For me it's set and forget, I don't find I fiddle with it at all, and I guess that's a good thing.

Saying that, Im going through a lot of tonal changes at the moment, and I can see the comp will not be here this time next year.
[/quote]

I agree with all of your points about the Studio Bass. It's a great 'set and forget' pedal that has a really nice character to the way it compresses. Oh, you might not want to read the 'other' compressor thread I've been posting on.... lol!

Thank you for the kind words! I have to say I love my job and it means a great deal that a review has been of positive use for others :)

Compressors are great - and can be tricky. Just a little too much and you could lose the touch and feel of the core tone. And too subtle peaks may still come through.

I prefer compressors with a blend option for transparancy, but also happen to like a few of the very coloful compressors out there. For instance the Mad Professor Forest Green. My two favorites right now are the Empress Compressor and the Darkglass Super Symmetry.

I recently did a shootout with a bunch of comp pedals (including the three mentioned above). You can give then a quick listen and compare here:
http://bass-pedals.com/compressor-shootout/index.html

Well after all I said above I'm going to sell my compressor.
It's been sitting in the chain for about a month or so, and working really well. Last night it sounded even better.....except that it wasn't on. I had forgotten to switch it on.
Now. I understand that for some a compressor shouldn't be noticed, and sound like it's not there etc, but I felt maybe it's not been doing as much as I thought. I could start tweeking it but as the tone I liked didn't rely on it after all, it's time to move it on.
If it was a cheap one I'd keep it, but I'd rather not use this sort of money just sitting around unused.
I really should stop buying these things as its obvious I dont actually need it. I think getting the VTBass DI has over shadowed it, and maybe adding a bit of compression itself.

Edited by dave_bass5

Yes they do say in the VT manual (iirc) that compression shouldn`t be needed with the VT, especially if using gain on it.

I`m pretty much the same Dave, I felt the need for a compressor, tried many, and have realised I prefer my live sound without. Recorded is a different matter, but live, not for me anymore. I think having seen so many bassists in named bands turn up with just a bass, plugged into whatever amp has been provided for them, and they then sound great was a key factor in this. If they can sound so good without, then I might have half a chance.

Yep, agree with that. In this case I did get it before the VTBass, and as I was starting to play finger style more I wanted it to help keep things a bit even. After last nights gig maybe my technique has stablasied and it's now not needed.
I certainly don't need it for anything else.
Got a rehearsal tomorrow and I'll try it on and off and see if it's really needed before placing an ad, but as I love the VTBass so much I think it's going to go.
For recording I'd expect a studio to have the necessary gear anyway, and I have software comps for home use.