Why become a member? ×

Bloody Rugby!!!!

barneyg42

So we've two local gigs booked this month and both are now cancelled!!! First due to the pub suddenly being sold and closed down and the second because all the lads that would watch the poxy rugby in the first have badgered the landlady to cancel us next Saturday because of the Uruguay match!! Got plenty of mates looking forward to seeing us as we don't get around my area much, this was a good month for me, tonight local and two more before end of month, now just tonight!!! Grrr!!! Rant over!!

I was at a gig last Saturday and the rugby was being shown on a tv behind the bar. I felt so bad for one of the bands, they put in a really good show, proper went for it, and they were totally ignored because everyone was watching the telly. And when the whole place erupted because Wales scored and particularly at the end of the match, Wales having won it, my heart broke for the band. It was just horrible.

So perhaps it's not such a bad thing that they cancelled the gig rather than you having to compete with a telly for the attention of ignorant knuckleheads?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1443873787' post='2878350']
Did you rebook?

At least it's a decent game and not the bloody football which is on ALL the time!
[/quote]

Nothing yet! Unfortunately it's a finish dead on 11pm pub so I couldn't even negotiate a later start or one long set!
It's all in the family with these pubs, the landlady is with the same brewery as the pub that shut, she helped put a manager lad in there and a lot of the "lads" followed him over there. Pub was pulled from under him so they will go back to the other pub.......money talks!!! Sod the fact that the bloody rugby has been advertised and scheduled for ages......as usual it's the bloody band that loses out!!!

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1443874168' post='2878354']
So perhaps it's not such a bad thing that they cancelled the gig rather than you having to compete with a telly for the attention of ignorant knuckleheads?
[/quote]

Who are you calling an ignorant knucklehead?

The rugby World Cup comes by once every 4 years and for some people it's a big deal.

If you have such contempt for pub goers then perhaps it's a good thing you're not in a pub band. They pay our fee at the end of the day!

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1443875053' post='2878365']

Who are you calling an ignorant knucklehead?

The rugby World Cup comes by once every 4 years and for some people it's a big deal.

If you have such contempt for pub goers then perhaps it's a good thing you're not in a pub band. They pay our fee at the end of the day!
[/quote]
People who would turn their back to a band to watch a telly. I'd prefer to play to an empty room than that.

The venue I was at wasn't even a pub, it was a band venue. I can see how it's a bit different if it's pub regulars and there happens to be a band on, but where I was the reason to be there was the bands. Pubs shouldn't book bands in the first place if they know they're going to be showing a big sport game and that that'll be all anyone's interested in.

Much as I dislike football I have to understand that more people like it than live music. If it keeps the venue in business, when the punters would just go somewhere else, which means I get paid for another gig on another day then it's all good.

We played a party 4 years ago where we started before the rugby, stopped at kick off, played at half time and then played after full time.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1443878660' post='2878418']
We did a gig last Saturday, just put back the start time until 10 when the England game finished, that way everyone was happy :)
[/quote]

Unfortunately the pub that cancelled has a firm 11pm finish and big screen in the stage area.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1443875053' post='2878365']

[/quote]

Probably this....
some games are bigger than a pub gig..
know your market

[quote name='SolomonHelsing' timestamp='1443873865' post='2878352']
I guess Drunk Rugby Fans = Profit and that's all that landlady cares about, instead of credibility with bookings etc
[/quote]

Considering the crap income levels of most pubs these days if they didn't care about profit then they won't be there much longer anyway.

Did you have a contract that allows you to get part payment in the event of a late cancellation?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1443878660' post='2878418']
We did a gig last Saturday, just put back the start time until 10 when the England game finished, that way everyone was happy :)
[/quote]

Same here. Managed to do 2 short sets and finished at 11.30

We played at a Dagenham pub a few months back, and a local lad was on the underbill at a boxing match at the 02 which was live on Sky tv, so we played ( by prior arrangement) until he came on, stopped and had our break while the fight happened, then carried on after. Worked out o.k , even though he lost after looking like he was going to win for the first 8 rounds....
We went with the...Oh bad luck mate, lets all drown our sorrows....approach!

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1443944014' post='2878773']
the road ahead is now clear thanks to the Aussies, no more delayed starts for us in blighty! :blink:
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm wondering if she'll get back to us and say don't worry, might as well gig as the last England game is of no consequence! Of course I'd take the gig back and then cancel on the day!!! 😉

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1443944292' post='2878776']
Yeah, I'm wondering if she'll get back to us and say don't worry, might as well gig as the last England game is of no consequence! Of course I'd take the gig back and then cancel on the day!!!
[/quote]

You are joking, of corse??