Why become a member? ×

NBD - 'bespoke' Bass Collection P-bass

disgrace of bass

My delight knows no bounds...for those of you who have followed my thread about getting a bespoke instrument made for you, its here, its fantastic and it plays like a dream. Photos below!

Constructed by Bass Collection, Its a P-Bass so you know what you are getting, but the Bare Knuckle '58 pickup, the Babicz bridge and the Elites Detroit Flatwound strings all combine to give a gloriously creamy growl that I have to say upstages my prized Fender American Deluxe Precision.

Colour choice purely to recreate a classic P-Bass look that is only available from Fender at vastly inflated price! I just like the combo of maple neck and sunburst/tortoiseshell guard.

If you want to see a Precision or a Jazz style bass configured in your colour choice and hardware, its worth talking to Barry Moorhouse at The Bass Centre (www.basscentre.com). He did a magnificent job with this instrument and I love the tasteful 'reliced' finish to the body, not OTT, just right. Big thanks to his tech, Mr Chris Ward, who put this instrument together and set it up within a whisker of perfection - for my fingers at least.

Running through my Ashdown BTA200 and Purple Chili 115 cab, all I can say is...WOW.

[attachment=202013:DSCF1044 copy.jpg][attachment=202006:DSCF1039 copy.jpg][attachment=202003:DSCF1036 copy.jpg][attachment=202004:DSCF1037 copy.jpg][attachment=202005:DSCF1038 copy.jpg]

Looks fantastic...those bass collection basses are pretty good...
Love a black and maple...With reversed pick ups...
Mmm got me thinking now, was it expensive?
Chris ward is a legend...I always used to go and get me basses sorted by him...In fact he set up my Shergold 6ix string bass before they moved from Aldgate...still haven't had to touch it!!!

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' timestamp='1443970658' post='2879078']

Mmm got me thinking now, was it expensive?

[/quote]

I'm reluctant to quote price as if the 'bespoke' service takes off Barry may chose to structure the pricing differently, but it was still a lot less than a MIM Fender equivalent

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1443971339' post='2879085']
Strange that Fender don't offer burst/tort/maple as a standard option despite the fact that it is clearly the correct colour combo for a p bass.

Absolute stunner by the way - congrats! :)
[/quote]

Like this? http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/basses/precision-bass/american-standard-precision-bass-maple-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

Beautiful bass btw. The relic job is really subtle and great!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1444026149' post='2879446']
Like this? [url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/basses/precision-bass/american-standard-precision-bass-maple-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/"]http://intl.fender.c...color-sunburst/[/url]

[/quote]

The photos don't do the relic work justice, particularly the way they have subtly dulled the gloss finish to a satin look, to me this is far more like real road wear than some of the heavy relic jobs you do see.

[quote name='disgrace of bass' timestamp='1444028185' post='2879455']
I paid £400 plus the pickups which I supplied (£80). So you could have nearly three of these for the cost of the Fender American linked above (they are about £1270 in the high street)
[/quote]

That's very tempting indeed... and you can spec any colour combo?

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1444026149' post='2879446']

Like this? http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/basses/precision-bass/american-standard-precision-bass-maple-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

[/quote]
Wasn't his original point that you had to buy a us model to get it?
Nice looking bass

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444030283' post='2879478']
That's very tempting indeed... and you can spec any colour combo?
[/quote]

Well at the moment providing they manufacture the particular colour already, it just a case of choosing the neck, pick guard and body combo that you want. Check out their website and look at all the variations available in the standard Bass Collection and British Bass Masters series and a combo of any one of those three elements will work. If you had a particular pick guard that you liked and they didn't have it, just buy it yourself and take it along, much like I did with my pickups.

In conversation with Barry I gather I planted the seed at the London Bass guitar show in 2014, but he had not done anything more about it, when i made my mind up and approached him this year to make my bass, he got very enthusiastic and i think given enough requests he would formalise the 'bespoke' service as a regular product offer. To me its a no brainer - the Bass Collection bodies and necks are the equal of any Fender and if you want fancier electronics or hardware you can specify that.

The other secret ingredient is it will be assembled and set up by Chris Ward, and if its good enough for John Entwhistle, Norman Watt-Roy and others its good enough for me!

Edited by disgrace of bass

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1444038333' post='2879577']

Wasn't his original point that you had to buy a us model to get it?
Nice looking bass
[/quote]

"Strange that Fender don't offer burst/tort/maple as a standard option"... That's not how I read it. Just trying to be helpful by linking it, as it does exist in the U.S. standard range and as a burst/maple with white scratchplate (which is easily changed!) in the Mexican standard range too. Thought it'd be worth helping if Painy was trying to find one :-)

That bass collection is lovely though. With alternatives such as this, Limelights, Nash, Bravewood and Maruszczyk etc offering such great instruments at more than competitive prices, it makes you wonder how it may have affected Fender!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1444044504' post='2879675']
"...as a burst/maple with white scratchplate (which is easily changed!) in the Mexican standard range too.
[/quote]
sorry, didnt realise this was available, hence my point
thanks

Its not just about the colour combo that Fender offers - they don't offer them factory standard with the Babicz bridge (which is superior to anything Fender supply) and Flatwound strings, and the special pickups, and if you bought the Fender and then added those on you've just added another one hundred and eighty-odd quid to the cost.

I'm enough of a snob that I'd love it to say Fender on the headstock, but as skej21 remarks, with all these alternative builders turning out fine copies that in many ways are an improvement on the real thing you've got to ask yourself the question...

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' timestamp='1443970658' post='2879078']
Looks fantastic...those bass collection basses are pretty good...
Love a black and maple...With reversed pick ups...

[/quote]

My Fender American Deluxe Precision is black and maple...you are right, its a very nice colour indeed - very Roger Waters.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1443990602' post='2879329']
Awesome. You could walk into any situation with that gear and command respect.
[/quote]

I'm sure it's a great bass - but most people haven't heard of the brand and to be honest the logo makes it look really cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if some people would assume you got it from the Argos catalogue! But then again they would probably think the same if they saw a Sadowsky, so who cares what they think! Point is, it's sad but true that some people won't give you respect unless your Fender-shaped bass has Fender on the headstock.

I'm sure there's an untapped market in Fender headstock decals eh?

I really don't care what other people think of my rig, although its very nice when compliments are paid. The real joy comes when I pick up the bass and play through the amp and the pleasure is visceral. Its the kick I get from playing a unique one-off cab, perfectly voiced; a custom built bass exactly set up exactly as I want it, and an amp that is one of about 20 ever made and the sweet thump they all produce. The sheer luxury of the build, the controls and the music - file under heading 'guilty pleasures'!

Edited by disgrace of bass