Why become a member? ×

Why a 5 string?

ChunkyMunky

I moved over to 5 strings a few years ago as I felt the extra range would be useful within my band. I don't use that low B very much but its nice to know its there when I want to use it.

When you play those low notes it really cuts through and adds a new dynamic to the overall sound of the band. Plus it serves as a very handy and comfortable thumb rest!

Tried 'em, gave 'em a good go. But in the end, those few extra notes just don't seem worth it to me considering the extra expense, weight and general inconvenience and faff. And yes, I know it's about fretting-hand positions as well, blah blah - but I just plain don't get on with fivers and way prefer four strings. Horses for courses, one man's meat, be a funny old world if we all, yadda yadda. :) Edited by discreet

Playing in a Prog band at moment and the lower B string just gives some parts of the songs a bit more depth. Not using it all the time but when you do it just vibrates the venue. I've been a big fan of 4 strings for yrs and have 5 & 6 string basses but for different reasons. My 6 fretless i bought to improve my overall technique. Couldn't get used to the 5 or 6 strings in a band situation but having bought myself a Dingwall 5er last week i'm finding it far easier to get into it mainly because the neck feels right compared to others i've tried. No reason why can't use 4 or 5 tho apart from cost that is.
I would suggest trying lots of 5 stringers before changing tho.

Dave

For me there are 3 main reasons.

1. I prefer how a 5 string feels over a 4 or a 6 stringer.

2. Having the extra low range is great for 'beefing' up the "heavier" sections in my bands songs.

3. Nomatter how 'high-end' a bass is playing on the B string will give a different sound than on the E string. a G on the 8th fret of B string sounds different than on the 3rd fret of the E string. Sometimes it sounds better, sometimes it doesn't. Having the option there is one of the main things that I love about playing a 5 string.

Ooh, I see potential for some heated discussions here.

For me 4 holds the essence of what a bass guitar should be, it sits and fits perfectly and is the bass I feel I have most freedom on. 5 or more gives you extra range and more girth to your tone but for me it does come at the expense of some freedom as technique needs to be a little cleaner on my 5.

I could not do without either my 4 or my 5, both provide different things and require a different approach to bass playing. But none is better or worse, just different.

I used to have a guitar player that felt 4 was too simple and had the warped opinion that proficiency had some correlation with the amount of strings on your bass......... Wooten, Pastorius, Jamerson, McCartney, Flea all feel 4 is enough. And I have seen more than my fair share of bass players show up with 5,6 or even 7 string basses who would struggle with a 4.

I`ve recently been jamming with some mates in a heavy rock band and am sure having a 5 string bass would make things easier than constantly detuning. But as it`s only a jam, and not a band that I`ll be gigging with I`m not buying one.

I have my five string a bit different to the norm i guess, in my band we tune down to d standard and drop c, but i like having the open low note as a C sounds nicer to me than fretting..........IMO so i tune my bass CDGCF it also means i can hit some of my crazy octave sounds and play the line on my high C sounds really cool.

andy

We have ourselves a Kilroy fan, clearly you cannot have an adequate discussion without juxtapositioning ad infinitum.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1443984951' post='2879244']

If you post that in every thread and you'll kill the site , back off
[/quote]

That is a cool tuning for drop C guitar mayhem!

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1443985458' post='2879254']
I have my five string a bit different to the norm i guess, in my band we tune down to d standard and drop c, but i like having the open low note as a C sounds nicer to me than fretting..........IMO so i tune my bass CDGCF it also means i can hit some of my crazy octave sounds and play the line on my high C sounds really cool.

andy
[/quote]

I learned on a 5 string.
Was the one that sang to me when I went in the shop to buy my first bass.

Now, when I play 4 strings I feel like I'm missing a limb.
Can't stand having to play anything with a D in it an octave higher than I want to.

Can't beat the range and versatility of a 5 and you soon get used to the different feel.

I often play in the 5th fret area and above on my 5er. It is much less of a stretch. The low D is also used relatively frequently. The C and C# are hardly used at all, but I will throw in a low B occasionally.

It is also great when the guitarists fancy a blast on my bass. It throws them off something rotten!

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1443984951' post='2879244']

If you post that in every thread and you'll kill the site , back off
[/quote]

Yeah, we'll all 5 string players are just idiots, aren't they. And posers. And got more money than sense clearly. 4 strings is how the good Lord meant bass to be and anyone who disagrees is just plain wrong, end of. Period. Innit! And don't get me started on 6 strings. And fretless basses. And tobacco sunburst. And... And... And...

There you go, consider that as little bit of yang to counterbalance the yin of reasonableness posted by HazBeen. Normal service has been resumed! ;-)

If you can't see any benefit then they're not for you.

A story: I dep in a band which plays a slow song in D, and I start the line on the low D. The regular guy starts on a high D and drops down for the rest of the line.

The band leader thinks my version is so much better that he makes the regular guy tune the E string down for that song.

Sometimes one is just better than the other.