Why become a member? ×

What is a "Feeler" ?

lojo

Feeler Ads?

So if I offer the money , you can say "Sod Off" I'm keeping it ?

What's the difference between "For Sale" and "Feeler" especially when both have a price tag , and for sale ads can attract offers below asking price anyway ?

Edited by lojo

GAS

See a bass you like, wonder if you can sell a bass you have never contemplated selling before quick enough to buy it, if no interest withdraw it quickly and pretend it never happened....and then list it for sale a month later anyway.

Put something out at a hugely inflated price, knowing no one will offer you the asking price and to see how many people tell you it's too expensive but offer you something quite a bit less for it.

Then you can decide if there's enough interest to put it out at a more reasonably high price.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1443988931' post='2879302']
I want to know if someone wants to buy my bass before I decide if i will sell to the person who wants to buy my bass. If no one wants to buy my bass then I wasn't selling it anyway.
[/quote]

I did a feeler once, but decided that I don't like them. It's unfair to tease people by saying 'I might be selling this, but I'm not sure'. Make up your mind, put your price on it, and see if anyone wants it.

I would sell any of my basses (and my right testicle) for a price that's massively over what it's worth. I wouldn't sell any of them for the market price, so I have no right sending out 'feelers' just in case.

We have a family phrase that is along the lines of "priced not to sell"

The basic idea being that you don't really want to sell it, but there is a certain price that you can't refuse. My Dad was a keen painter back in the day, and while he is no Dali, he has had a few of his works accepted into various exhibitions. On a few of these all of the works were for sale and the artists were asked to price them up. There were one or two that he priced way above others, not because they were that much better, or took more work. Rather they were his favourites and in order to be motivated to sell them, he would need an inflated price- this is to me what the "feeler" ads mean.

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1444042088' post='2879631']
The basic idea being that you don't really want to sell it, but there is a certain price that you can't refuse.
[/quote]

This is true of everything surely, even stuff that isn't for sale... I never want to sell my Wal but if someone offered me £50k for it I obviously would.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444042265' post='2879633']
This is true of everything surely, even stuff that isn't for sale... I never want to sell my Wal but if someone offered me £50k for it I obviously would.
[/quote]

Of course- everything has it's price, but this is more about a middle ground between "I need some cash" and "it's not for sale but for £50K it is yours"

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1444042667' post='2879643']
I think of a feeler as being different from a high priced item. Feelers that I remember before the ban on requests for offers would often not have a price attached, and people would be asking for potential buyers to pitch the price, with a sale only being possible if the seller liked the prices.
[/quote]

That's a blind auction with a reserve.