Why become a member? ×

Multi FX help?

AlexDelores

Evening all,

I'm looking for some Good recommendations for a decent multi effects unit similar to the Line 6 Bass pod Xt live or the Boss GT10B?
These are two i quite like the spec on but they don't seem to be very easy to come by?

I've seen the Rocktron B300 Utopia on Thomann that after a brief look seems fairly close spec to the line 6 but i've never heard of them and wondered if anybody have any experience with them?

A new project is going to require some quite heavy effects and I want a decent effects unit i can use whilst writing and doing some live stuff as well as having the USB interface for home recording.

I also know a lot of people will say to steer clear and stick to individual stompboxes but for what i'm after a multi effects will be better due to the variety its going to give me whilst experimenting, Just need some advice on a decent unit to look at.

Thanks
Alex

You didn't specify budget...

The Zoom MS-60B (which I have and love) and the B3 are very well loved around here and are relatively cheap. Zoom also has even cheaper options with similar models, but less robust construction.

Line-6 M5/9/13 are options. Just started trying out the M5 and relatively impressed.

State-of-the-art are Fractal-Audio Axe-Fx, FX8, and soon to be released AX8, but these are a different price ball park.

I'm not sure right now which of the above have USB recording. Possibly only the B3, but a decent audio interface isn't very expensive.

The few bass-oriented reviews I've seen of the Rocktron were not favorable.

Budget wise, im not sure how much the gt10b or line 6 sold for when new so im sort of going off spec rather than price, the M13 seems quite similar spec but ill have a good look later, i quite like the loop feature which i dont think is on the xt live but is on the gt10b. thanks for the suggestions so far ill check them all out

The Zoom B3 & the Expression Pedal FP02. Great package & great sounds. Easy to edit patches.

The only criticism is that the unit should have the option of having the Expression pedal built in (like the G3x/G5), as the separate pedal is a bit inconvenient. Other than that, it's a great piece of kit.

Edited by Skybone

im a great lover of multi effects i have a zoom b3 which great all round but i also have a line6 m5 and m13 and they are amazing, the distortions are aimed more towards guitar so not great but everything else is great. matched with a nice distortion or overdrive you could do everything with the m13.

If you can pick up a 2nd hand zoom b9.1ut then it's worth a go. Quite big but with the xy expression pedal you have so much control over many things. That had all the ins and out you'd need. The distortions and octaver were the only downside but it wasn't much worse than other multis ive used .

Also had a blendable effects loop so you can add in your own fuzz if you want.. which I did for a while.

Edited by lefrash

Thanks all, ill have a look at the different suggestions.
[quote name='perrybassbp' timestamp='1444061549' post='2879962']
im a great lover of multi effects i have a zoom b3 which great all round but i also have a line6 m5 and m13 and they are amazing, the distortions are aimed more towards guitar so not great but everything else is great. matched with a nice distortion or overdrive you could do everything with the m13.
[/quote]

The zoom seems to get a lot of support on here and tbf it does look like a great pedal for the money. im toying with the idea of getting this with the expression pedal as stated above and buying a decent loop station at a later date.

However, The m13 also looks a really impressive pedal... Am I right in thinking that the different switches get assigned individual effects so acts as a pedalboard type setup rather than switching up and down through effects?

Also with its loop settings, are you able to save loops and recall back on them from memory like a loop station or is it just for jamming and they get lost when you switch off? Seen a lot of good demos whilst browsing on youtube of the loop setting but cant seem to work this out?

Thanks again for everyones help, im hoping to get down to PMT in the next few weeks and have a play on a few.

yeah the for the m13 each of the pedals is assigned to what every you want, you can have up to 4 pedals on at once but in each of the 4 columns you can switch between 3 different effects. as for the loop station you cant save anything its just for jamming but it has cool effects like half time and reverse that are very cool. i did send you a PM regarding a m13.

[quote name='AlexDelores' timestamp='1443986992' post='2879275']
Evening all,

I'm looking for some Good recommendations for a decent multi effects unit similar to the Line 6 Bass pod Xt live or the Boss GT10B?
These are two i quite like the spec on but they don't seem to be very easy to come by?

I've seen the Rocktron B300 Utopia on Thomann that after a brief look seems fairly close spec to the line 6 but i've never heard of them and wondered if anybody have any experience with them?

A new project is going to require some quite heavy effects and I want a decent effects unit i can use whilst writing and doing some live stuff as well as having the USB interface for home recording.

I also know a lot of people will say to steer clear and stick to individual stompboxes but for what i'm after a multi effects will be better due to the variety its going to give me whilst experimenting, Just need some advice on a decent unit to look at.

Thanks
Alex
[/quote]

Digitech BP355

Wouldn't be without mine. Does all you want and more.

Has drums to play along with, and even a nice selection of guitar amps should you feel inclined.

Under £100 too!

I had the xt live and it was so easy to record from, I wish I kept it for that alone. Good sounds and simple enough too.
Mates got B3 and every now and then he plays a patch hed been working on that sound 99.9% the same as one of my boutique pedals, it takes him a while mind you.
So xtlive or B3.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all, i went for the b3 and expression pedal, ordered it about a month ago from a certain online music company but kept recieving emails saying it was out of stock finally had enough , cancelled and ordered from Thomann and it was delivered within 3 days.

First hour tonight playing with it, im well impressed what an awesome bit of kit!

Thanks for everyones help

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1444116444' post='2880322']Mates got B3 and every now and then he plays a patch hed been working on that sound 99.9% the same as one of my boutique pedals, it takes him a while mind you.[/quote]

That's the thing, if you spend a bit of time playing with the patches, you can get some great sounds out of most Multi FX pedals.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1447433055' post='2907690']
I love the b3.. however the more I used mine the less happy I was with the distortions/fuzzes and the octaver. Couldn't really fault it for all the other things though. the preamps are great I thought!
[/quote]

Im really impressed with the pre amps,
I have 2 pretty decent distortion/fuzz pedals im pretty happy with so not worried about the overdrive side, however on first glance they seem quite cool anyway

I've just retired my Avid Eleven Rack (awesome sounds, not a lot of love on the bass side) for a Line 6 Pod HD500X as the price has come down significantly.

Not done a huge amount with it yet but the ability to create dual signal paths is really useful, for example lows through a clean path and upper mids/highs through a driven channel.

Ability to position FX anywhere and good amp/cab sims. I splashed a little extra on the HD Bass pack too but it's probably not requires. The big bonus of this over the 11Rack is the floor-board side of things - 8 foot switched and expression peddle, you can link single switches to groups of FX too - so switch on drive and flanger with one press, etc.

So far I've set up a simple patch with a few basic FX (Chorus, EQ, OD, Phaser) into the Flip Top amp model (Ampeg B-15NF Portaflex). A haevy rock patch - dual signal path to keep the drive out of the lows and loaded in a user patch that does an okay job of simulating fretless which needs some tweaking to remove some thump on attack.