Why become a member? ×

NBD - Ibanez SR300

GarethFlatlands

Just ordered an Ibanez SR300 that was on Ebay for nice and cheap (£160). I do have a fondness for my Vintage V950B but the output on it is low enough to cause headaches and noise at gigs. Also, it weighs a ton, and as I injured my back mildly recently I really needed something lighter. These seemed highly thought as far as budget instruments go of by people I asked and forums I checked so fingers crossed it's a good one and not a Friday afternoon at the factory job. 2nd hand so a few dings but everything important looked OK from the pictures.

Should arrive on Thursday!

I picked up one of these a few months back and they are lovely instruments. Very light and well balanced so good for your back, and they sound really nice. One thing I especially love about mine is the slap sound - it just has the most fantastic percussive 'click' to the sound that I've yet to find on any other bass. Hard to explain but no doubt you'll know what I mean the second you try your new one.

Anyhow, congrats on the new bass!

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1444090246' post='2880262']
I picked up one of these a few months back and they are lovely instruments. Very light and well balanced so good for your back, and they sound really nice. One thing I especially love about mine is the slap sound - it just has the most fantastic percussive 'click' to the sound that I've yet to find on any other bass. Hard to explain but no doubt you'll know what I mean the second you try your new one.

Anyhow, congrats on the new bass!
[/quote]

Just got it home after it was stuck at work for a few days until I could get a parking space to retrieve it. Had a quick mess around through Reaper, there seems to be a nice level of tweakability from the active controls and it has a nice tone, although there's not a huge variety of sounds and it's a little noisy it should do me fine. I see what you mean about the slap sound, it's zero effort to get a nice sharp click out of the thumb hits. It's also really light which I really needed.

Very happy with it, not sure I could have done much better for the cash!