Why become a member? ×

Snarky Puppy Bristol Academy

bootleg

Just back from watching sell out performance of Snarkies.

Since when did bands like this sell out venues? Great for the band, but took me by surprise.

A predominantly young audience getting into instrumental jazz influenced funk, applauding flugelhorn and percussion solos.

Having a Bristol audience getting into any live performance without a deck is surprising, but cheering muso chops. Wtf.

Don't get me wrong. Love my jazz, fusion and funk...but if someone can explain please?

Rebellion innit?

You grow up with parents whose record collections cover Nirvana, Motor head, Marilyn Manson and Slayer... Where can you go from there. Can't go forwards much from there, got to move sideways.

Alternatively, just maybe, the kids are smarter than they appear.

Either way, bring on tonight at the Apollo!

Slightly off topic, but assuming you had Swindle, Magda and Snarky Puppy, what was the running order? If Swindle is opening I might go and find somewhere that doesn't serve pissy lager at a fiver a pint for an hour first.

Edited by NickD

Very strange...all my Brizzle gigs are full of drinkers with limited interest in whatever music is being played. And drunken requests for that Pogues' song...you know, that one.... goes like LAAAAAADDDaaaAAAAAA......that one.... can my mate play your drum kit.....

Bristol always bemuses me. Saw alt country/trip hop/Americana dude Jim White twice there. First time in the thekla he played to about 50 punters, then about a year later he played some working men's club down a side street in the middle of nowhere, place was rammed! About 200 punters! I think he put it down to having a tune played on breaking bad that year.
Love Snarky Puppy but M.L.'s bassface is just strange, you gotta have great chops to pull that kinda gurning off!

[quote name='GisserD' timestamp='1444128419' post='2880455']
I'm off to see them tomorrow in Brighton. Usually shy away fro the front barrier at gigs due to my height. but you can be sure ill be impeding a few views tomorrow :)
:rolleyes:
[/quote]
Don't you dare! ;) I'm going and I'm a shade over 5 foot 7!

[quote name='bootleg' timestamp='1444087562' post='2880256']
Just back from watching sell out performance of Snarkies.

Since when did bands like this sell out venues? Great for the band, but took me by surprise.

A predominantly young audience getting into instrumental jazz influenced funk, applauding flugelhorn and percussion solos.

Having a Bristol audience getting into any live performance without a deck is surprising, but cheering muso chops. Wtf.

Don't get me wrong. Love my jazz, fusion and funk...but if someone can explain please?
[/quote]

Snarky are hugely into promoting music education when on tour, so they'll do clinics and shows for music schools etc in the area where they're gigging. Smart move.

I was there too! What an awesome night, I only went along because I'd heard the buzz but it looks like I might have a new favourite band.
[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1444120733' post='2880381']
Slightly off topic, but assuming you had Swindle, Magda and Snarky Puppy, what was the running order?
[/quote]
No Swindle, just Magda.
[quote name='super al' timestamp='1444124627' post='2880417']
Love Snarky Puppy but M.L.'s bassface is just strange, you gotta have great chops to pull that kinda gurning off!
[/quote]
As I was walking back to my car, a group of lads overtook me and one was saying to his mates, "I'm trying to think which Muppet the bass player reminds me of..."

I saw them on Friday night at the Manchester Ritz.
Mind blown by the band and also by the sold out crowd who knew all the tunes!
Still processing it all to be honest. Took a good friend of mine who had never heard of them before. Swear he was dribbling at one point..

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1444141218' post='2880609']

Snarky are hugely into promoting music education when on tour, so they'll do clinics and shows for music schools etc in the area where they're gigging. Smart move.
[/quote]

I got the feeling there was a musical appreciation of them, not wishing to do down audiences in Bristol or elsewhere, perhaps your answer is nearer the mark. Was it a Bristol Uni music dept night out?

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1444124627' post='2880417']
[/quote]

Agreed. Great groove player and band leader. Less convinced for soloing. Tends to rely on an octave peddle.

[quote name='bootleg' timestamp='1444172182' post='2880942'] I got the feeling there was a musical appreciation of them, not wishing to do down audiences in Bristol or elsewhere, perhaps your answer is nearer the mark. Was it a Bristol Uni music dept night out? [/quote]

No idea, but it was a similarly young crowd at the Hammersmith Apollo last night (and previous SP gigs I've been to)

I did the Bristol gig too- it was a pretty special atmosphere and I echo much of what is being said on here. It was amazing seeing a rammed venue for this kind of music. They are creating a pretty special buzz which reminds of the kind of adulation that Weather Report garnered back in the day which can only be a good thing.
The venue was full of musicians from throughout the South West as well as Bristol-based punters.
I guess the Apollo date not being sold-out is down to the size of the venue- much, much bigger than the O2 Academy, coupled with the fact they were in Brighton the night before (or was it the next day??).
I think ML is an excellent bassist- there is more to life than monster chops although he has them I'm pretty sure. He directs and encourages the band brilliantly- is very tasteful and has excellent ears.
Tickets booked for Cory Henry and Sharay Reed already.

Edited by chardbass