Why become a member? ×

Snarky Puppy Bristol Academy

bootleg

Another thing about ML not yet mentioned -- a whole evening of some of the most downright funky music I have [i]ever[/i] heard performed live, and yet not a single slap. The only time he used his right thumb was for muted tugs in the quieter passages.

EDIT: added, a couple of dodgy pics.

[attachment=202255:snarky_1.JPG] [attachment=202257:snarky_2.JPG]

Edited by UglyDog

[quote name='bootleg' timestamp='1444172182' post='2880942']

I got the feeling there was a musical appreciation of them, not wishing to do down audiences in Bristol or elsewhere, perhaps your answer is nearer the mark. Was it a Bristol Uni music dept night out?
[/quote]

Pretty much everyone who's studied Jazz in Cardiff in the last 10 years was there

The Brighton gig was fantastic, they played lots of the legacy stuff, which I wasn't expecting but was pleased to hear! Sadly they didn't play everything I wished to hear, but for a band like that to play everything I wanted to hear, would probably take all night!

I did get to meet Corey Henry, Magda Giannikou, and the main man himself Michael League - I definitely fan boi-ed out and might have told him that he's my hero...

I went to Hammersmith to see them - 4 hour round trip. Mrs S had heard them a lot on the radio and fancied giving them a go live.

First band left me puzzled. Evidently a lot of people enjoyed them but I didn't get it. Why the kick drum was so gut-punchingly loud I don't know. I enjoyed the girl with the squeezebox very much, so was looking forward to the main event.

I was then puzzled why it took a 20 minute break to move a mike stand and midi keyboard and didn't appreciate the wait. Have to say the first guitar solo was tremendous - what a great tone and great subtlety about it. When he embarked on a second almost identical one not that much further into the gig I am sorry to say we left. We gave it an hour but just not our cup of tea. I don't doubt for a second the quality of the musicianship but I prefer my music to be slightly more cohesive and less complex. Horses for courses.

Setlist nerds might like to pore over the info at http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/snarky-puppy-5bd50f10.html to compare sets from the current tour. Also, downloads of the shows will be available at http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music/3,1017/Snarky-Puppy-mp3-flac-downloads.html - ML said at Hammersmith "about a week later".

• 5 weeks later...