Why become a member? ×

Poll, how many many basses have you got?

PaulWarning

Five at the moment, American P, MM Copy, Jazz Kit build, Warmoth 5 stringer and Aria ZZB.
Currently going to operate a one in one out etc policy to keep it limited to five.
If I get a yes on a P/X Offer then the Fender will be replaced by another Aria Pro II.

Hoping to consolidate alot of them into the funds for a dingwall mind you.

I think I have 12.... Some at my house and some at my mums (she has better insurance than me and hardly ever goes out) Most are cheapies. I also have an acoustic guitar, a baritone uke, a 3 string cigar box guitar, a djembe and a chord organ.

I really don't need 12 basses, but I usually end up buying a new bass every time I join a new band, just because my existing basses don't quite seem to be "right".... I find it hard to sell them on!

I also have 4 bass rigs....

Edited by 4-string-thing

I have 7: Sandberg jazz (main), deko HB thunderbird (cheap and way cool), deko HB fretless acoustic, deko HB jazz (to defret), HB PB-50, a Shine 'modern' 4 string (my first bass) and a HB shorty precision (sofa bass).

I want to move on the PB-50 (I need a slightly slimmer neck), the Shine (sad as it makes me, I simply never play it) and probably the shorty, to make room for a P/MM, and call it quits at a nice round 5, as that is more than enough for me.

I also have a nice acoustic guitar, a 3/4 classical (which I might donate to a friend who wants to learn), and a uke.

And I want a banjo...

...I have a problem.

I've always only had one. Until Basschat. Then another one crept in. I then bought another with the intention of selling one, but that hasn't happened yet so I'm on a record high of three ATM.

One is fine.
Two is a nice luxury.
Any more than that and it starts to feel a bit wrong.

Re the number of Guitars v Basses owned

I own a Fender J and an acoustic bass for home practice.

The guitar selection just somehow needs to cover more bases, 2 6 string acoustics (both needed as play in an acoustic duo) an acoustic 12 string, a HH electric, an SSH electric. I have (like most) fluctuated over the years but see far less need for multiple basses than guitars

I have five. Four of them are Jazz basses. They are all different, and all get gigged (except the fretless, which just isn't needed in my current band).

All of them are pretty cheap, and all were bought used except the J&D which cost the princely sum of £119 brand new!!

I have though about selling a couple of them, but the market is so depressed at the moment that I would get enough for them to justify that.

It would genuinely be a struggle if I had to downsize to two (one J and a P) as I like all five of them for different reasons...

Edited by Conan

Two playable basses, and my brothers old leftie which is a pile of absolute junk but holds some sentimental value. I'm thinking of selling one of my basses as it rarely gets played.

Two 6 string electric lead guitars, one acoustic and one electro acoustic as well. I like to think this covers all my recording needs, but the electro really needs replacing.

Edited by Nicko

Used to have quite a lot of guitars and basses. These days after selling all the ones I wasn't using I've still got more than I really need.

However given sufficient storage space and cash I'd have loads, and at least 2 of anything I was using regularly so I had an identical back up instrument should I need it.

Too many including a bass ukulele.
I blame two of them on Happy Jack bringing things to bass bashes!
They do get used in rotation but I think that after my latest shenanigans the Mustang is likely to get more use.

Oh, and lots of guitars and amps and things.

Edited by Jazzneck

when I first joined BC, I realised that I had the opportunity to try out a lot of basses without losing any money. So I bought and sold many, many basses. I ended up trying them out and moving them on for what I paid for them. I ended up keeping a Jazz and Precision. And they cover most of the styles of music I play.

Edited by gjones

Seven. But as that's over 25 years I don't feel too bad about that.

Fretless Precision Lyte
75 RI Japanese Jazz
71 RI Japanese Precision (flats)
Cheap Spector 4 string (forget which model, but PJ pickups make it perfect for my occasional metal gigs)
Shine 8-string
Hofner Contemporary Violin Bass (40th birthday gift to myself)
Cheap electro-acoustic which I'll get defretted one of these days.

Plus 3 electric guitars, an acoustic, couple of ukuleles and a borrowed mandolin.

Sounds pretty reasonable actually...

I had to add them up, which isn't good!

I've actually got too many, but also a long suffering wife, and I really need to move some on.

2000 Yamaha BBG4 in a tiger strip finish, which is a keeper. I think it looks great, but others think it's naff - sounds huge though.
Ibanez acoustic bass - bought in the states, in a sale, when the dollar was $2 for a £1
Westfield P - ongoing project, not yet started - got all the bits (off here), but been 'too busy' for the last 3 years

Tanglewood acoustic - a present from the then girlfriend, now Mrs A, in 1992. A keeper
Squier Strat Korea 1984 - bought 2nd hand in 1990. Really nice guitar, rosewood neck. Pristine. I would sell it, but it's worth more to me than the £100 I'd get for it.
Epiphone J200 2013 - bought with some bonus money, after a very busy year. Sounds amazing - too nice to have out and potential damage. Lives under the bed, cased.
2010 Baja Tele - Christmas gift from Mrs A - the main guitar, and amazing value. I'm a lucky boy!
Original run Squier 51 - strat body, tele neck - bought from BC : amazing for the money, and now collectible apparently
Ash bodied Tele copy - bought from BC to mod, but the office noodling guitar
Westfield Strat - bought from BC. Awaiting modding, as a gift for a friend, who has been incredibly helpful in recent years - need to get on with it!

I did have an Epi 56 Gold Top, which I sold on, having bought it new, but it was too heavy, and I prefer Fender style guitars it seems.

I also had a 1984 Black Aria SB Special II, which I stupidly sold in 2001, to fund a Marshall amp, and I deeply regret - very Cliff Burton. My first 'good' bass.

Basically, too many for the house, but every time I resolve to sell something, I realise I'll get buttons for it, and it seems pointless.

Currently on 5 but thats counting 2 that i'm currently hoping to shift, trying to keep it at just three which should be more than enough.
That should hopefully be, a Bacchus 24 5 string (active/passive, humbucker/single coil swiss army knife), A P bass I put together (because everyone should have one), and a fretless jazz. It's nice to have options for most tones, especially if you're working with specific people!