Why become a member? ×

Poll, how many many basses have you got?

PaulWarning

I somehow have ended up with four, I'm another bc-er that just had one when he joined...

BB424X, amazing for the money, it's a little bulky but I love it.

J&D jazz, bought mostly because of green / black hardware / black blocks. On the upside it's nice to play and sounds lovely.

Two HB deko's, an acoustic and a PB20. Both bought for under a ton. Acoustic is nicer than the p, and good fun if enormous.

With some spare cash I could have lots and lots; I don't go near guitar shops for this reason...

I have used professionally speaking 5 basses:

- fretless Jazz/equivalent - for that irresistible tone for use in church music
- fretless Godin A4 - used as the nearest thing to a URB that runs horizontally!
- precision bass - for nearly everything although you need two - one with flats and one with rounds
- jass bass/equivalent - for those moments when you need to push the envelope

That's 5 basses

That's all I need.
Davo

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1444233990' post='2881442'] Sickeningly large number, and really don't need them at all. I need one bass. Why this number then? Because of huge curiosity combined with the wish to learn about basses - the feel, the sound, the this, the that... When I'm done learning (insert shrewd smiley here), then I'll bring back the number to one or a few at most. [/quote]

Yep, some people collect stamps some people collect blow lamps, i met a guy this week who collected Jazz figures ! his house was full of the new and old, amazing. I wonder if the same question has been asked on a spoon forum?,,,, for me tho they offer far more than a spoon, they are functional to what i do and enjoy, as bass tractor says they all have a voice, another reason is they are an investment, for the most they are money in the bank !! some people collect money, i like to have a bit of fun with my money rather than it sitting in the bank, its good to try new things, but i cant get rid of the old incase,,,,iv heard it a 1000 times "sorry i got rid of XXXXX" .... when i retire i will have a great collection to sell and its been a fun ride.... but for now i cant bring it back to one even if i had to,

I've got a few terrible guitars that I don't want to part with for sentimental reasons, about four that I actually play, all with different feels and sounds. A few old acoustics I've donated to friends and family after getting a great one and four basses!

The basses were acquired through purchases and trades when I was still trying to find what I wanted and what I wanted to sound like. I got a Tokai Rockinbetter that I hated, Retrovibe Vantage which I played for about 18 months happily til I bought my Reverend Thundergun (it's amazing), traded the RB for a MIM Jazz V (discovered it's not for me) and bought a Hofner Shorty bass as a backup that I can chuck into the car for gigs.

The Shorty's surprisingly good apart from the neck dive. I've arranged to sell the Retrovibe, one cheap guitar and the jazz so I can buy either a MIM 50s Precision or possibly a Sandberg Electra VS4

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1444217164' post='2881171']
why do people need so many basses or guitars for that matter?
[/quote]

I don't need them. I just want them. And that's my justification, although I do have to provide something a little more concrete to Mrs Zero. After all, it's her who has to cope with the diminishing amount of space caused by about 15 basses.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444912424' post='2887240']
You guys with loads of basses (of which I am most jelous) do you have cases for them all? If so, where are the cases? I had six basses at one point last year and they didn't take up that much space on the rack thingy I've got, but the cases took up half the bedroom... :unsure:
[/quote]

I only have 2 hard cases at the moment and several gig bags. Bought most of mine second hand sans cases and that suits me fine.

You guys with loads of basses (of which I am most jelous) do you have cases for them all? If so, where are the cases?
[/quote]

Yup, with the exception of maybe one that will get a case later.
They're all in cupboards, where normal people keep lots of clothes hanging on coat hangers. Normally sized basses stand, and on top of those cases, the Steinberger, Daisy Rock and Ashbory types are lying.

Edited by BassTractor

Oh my gawd. I just invented the marital bass case: it's double layer, and in one half you store 1 (one) bass, whilst in the detachable half, you store 5 (five) pairs of her pumps.
The crux of course is in the rules:
if she wants more shoes, this will only go if there's space left in a readily bassed marital bass case.

Of course, amateurs or people on a budget might opt for the cupboard solution: one cupboard for shoes means two cupboards for basses.
They're larger, innit.

You guys with loads of basses (of which I am most jelous) do you have cases for them all? If so, where are the cases? I had six basses at one point last year and they didn't take up that much space on the rack thingy I've got, but the cases took up half the bedroom... :unsure:
[/quote]
i have 1 flight case, 1 hard case, 1 gig bag and a SKB bass safe.....they're either under the stairs or in the spare room, apart from the gig bag which is propped up against the wall in the lounge!

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1444929176' post='2887459']
Oh my gawd. I just invented the marital bass case: it's double layer, and in one half you store 1 (one) bass, whilst in the detachable half, you store 5 (five) pairs of her pumps.
The crux of course is in the rules:
if she wants more shoes, this will only go if there's space left in a readily bassed marital bass case.
[/quote]

I'm in... where can I buy some?

The rule is going to be that she can only have more shoes if there is space in the marital bass case for them... If there isn't then a new case must be purchased and I may fill my half with another bass...

You sir are a genius. :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444981957' post='2887761']
I'm in... where can I buy some?
[/quote]

Great! I'll put down your name. Gimme some time and I'll take care of everything.
It will be a BC-only Marital BassCase.

[quote]
The rule is going to be that she can only have more shoes if there is space in the marital bass case for them... If there isn't then a new case must be purchased and I may fill my half with another bass...
[/quote]

Ah. So my English is worse than I thought. :(
I thought I'd written exactly that. :)

[quote]
You sir are a genius. :mellow:
[/quote]

Yeah, that started to dawn on me too.
Until yesterday, I was too smart to understand how smart I was - - the famous Dunning-Inverse-Kruger Effect, a quite normal capacity of Dutchmen. ;)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444915647' post='2887288']
Every available bit of storage space in my house is occupied by a pair of Mrs C shoes... If I buy any more basses I'll have to build something in the garden to store the cases. :mellow:
[/quote]

Mrs C must have huge feet!