Why become a member? ×

Poll, how many many basses have you got?

PaulWarning

why do people need so many basses or guitars for that matter? our guitarist has 13 and several bassists on here seem quite a few.
Is it a collecting thing or have you just not found the right one or perhaps you think they sound different enough to justify it? me, I've just got a MIA P which I use all the time and an old Hondo as a back up, which I've never needed

Edited by PaulWarning

I have a JV P which I've had from new and has become part of me - I'll never sell it and I'll never gig it again.
I have a Warmoth PJ which I made myself, wasn't happy with it (too heavy, sharp frets, gloss neck) - it's now got a satin nitro finished lined fretless neck - but fretless is something I've just decided to learn.
I have a Warmoth P with a J neck and an East pre which I put together, I invested far more in it than it's worth to sell and it was for a while my goto bass, so I'm keeping it as my gigging spare.
I have a Warmoth bodied Status J necked P thing which i built because I wanted something lighter for air travel and long sets.

Edit: can I just add that for 30 odd years I only had the JV - then I found basschat.......

Edit2: i have almost enough parts to build a 5th - just missing a body at the moment.

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444218200' post='2881190']
We did one of these a couple of months back...

I have two currently; one fretted and one fretless :)
[/quote]did we? must have missed it, ah well it's given time for some bassists to buy another half a dozen or so :)

I have 7 Basses, 5 guitars and a Ukulele. I don't need this many, I don't go round boasting how many I have got. I have this many because I like playing different instruments as and when I like. People often say I don't need that many instruments, and they are right. I can only play one at a time, in the same way my wife can only wear one pair of shoes at a time from her mighty collection. But I want this many and will probably add to my collection as they give me great pleasure. Also, the Deko deals on the Thomman website are too good to pass......

Jas

My 'main' bass is a Hofner Verithin, strung with Trubass black nylons.
Our youngest wanted to play bass, so we got him a Cort J-MM 5-string, strung with rounds.
Our eldest offered me a birthday fretless 6-string with rounds, but the next set will be flats.
I have acquired since an OLP baritone guitar/bass, strung as a bass, with rounds.

That's 4, then, all different enough to have different roles, depending on the sound wanted.
I'm a drummer. :)

Edited by Dad3353

Now "only" have 8 - the only two which are similar are my Bass Collection Nanyos (310 and 301) - otherwise ACG/ Ritter/ GB Rumour/ Veillette Citron and a couple of customs - they all sound and feel different.

I think the Nick Smith (Doctor of the Bass) is the worst offender with over 70 - there's a thread somewhere..compared to him I don't even have a collection.

Down to three at the moment. This is due to a consolidation exercise that will result (in a couple of months) in one final bass guitar to end all GAS for ever (yeah right!)

Fender American Deluxe Jazz with John East Retro Deluxe pre amp
Fender American P Bazz with D'Addario flats
Musicman Stingray V

Edited by Bobthedog

Fender Hot Rod Precision, which I gig with, '79 jazz which I would gig with but it's too bloody heavy compared to the P, Tanglewood acoustic bass and a proper left handed double bass that was too tempting to resist (moderate cost, and local-ish) which I have yet to get to grips with properly.
Just remembered - did have five, but sold my old original Squier P bass special to Nodd for a project.

Edited by phil.c60

6 basses.

A series MIJ Squier Precision 32" scale (white)
B series MIJ Squier Precision 32" scale (black)
A series MIJ Squier Katana (32" scale Precision but a mad shape, in black)
JV0 series MIJ '57 RI Precision, Fender logo (tobacco burst)
Early 90s MIJ Fender Aerodyne non-export Jazz, 32" scale (white)
Danelectro Longhorn

But the total is down from a dozen or so over the last few months.

Not included are a Stagg EUB, ukulele bass and a semi-acoustic. Well, they don't count, do they :)

(Edit - also a Precision Lyte for sale, but that doesn't count either...)

Edited by Paul S

7 at the moment:

LC Acoustic (first bass so will never leave me)
Takamine Acoustic (Bought with inheritance money, will never leave me)
Fender Hot-Rod precision (1999) (My number one and go to bass, will never leave me)
Fender Highway one Jazz
Bitsa Precision
J&D 75 re-issue
Squier Affinity 5 string (should really shift this)

Hovering around the Dekos though, I must stop