Why become a member? ×

my first gig, any advice?

ribbetingfrog

Probably covered before, and I hope it is in the right section!

I'm in a covers band, all in our 30's to 50's and all newbies.
Got our first gig coming up in December.

Should be a nice and easy first gig, Christmas party for a group that gets folk with learning difficulties to plant allotments that the drummer works with.
Half hour set and an audience who don't mind if you suck, so I'm told!

Any advice for a first timer?

If you are doing your own sound then practise that side of it too and if someone else is doing it then make sure they are aware of what gear you use. Nothing makes nerves worse than having to fanny about with levels and gear on first gig.

Above all smile and enjoy it

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1444231558' post='2881402']
Don't get hung up about mistakes - they are fleeting moments in time - don't let them derail you. Be well rehearsed. Above all, enjoy yourself.
[/quote]

This. I can only think of one gig where I didn't make a "horrendous mistake" but nobody notices them but me.

The last two words of the quoted post are the main two though.

As well as all the above, make sure you leave plenty of time to get there and make sure before you leave that all your gear is working properly. Two things that really naff gigs up is being stressed about being late and faulty gear.

you'll be as nervous as hell, and make mistakes because you're all tensed up, in spite of what's been said, perhaps tongue in cheek, alcohol will make it worse,IMO, a pint but no more I'd say say, rehearse rehearse and rehearse, one of the best bits of advice I've ever read on here was "Don't practice till you get it right practice till you don't get it wrong" or something like that.
When you're up there you'll be thinking "Why did I ever get into this" and when you get off you be thinking "Can't wait for the next one" good luck

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1444241952' post='2881542']
As well as all the above, make sure you leave plenty of time to get there and make sure before you leave that all your gear is working properly. Two things that really naff gigs up is being stressed about being late and faulty gear.
[/quote]

Another way is to get set up, leave, and then get back there at the last minute. That way you have to just go for it , pushing yer nerves out of the way cos you aint got time to worry.

But whatever way you do it, check yourself - in a mirror if possible - before you go on,

Edited by BILL POSTERS

Don't focus on your own playing too much. listen to the other instruments and enjoy the overall sound. Get into the groove and enjoy. If you balls up one of the songs remember to look disparagingly towards the drummer in order to deflect the blame. Also, don't smile, even if someone trumps, as the bass player is too cool to smile. Agreed reg the drinking. plenty of time for that afterwards.

Probably all over and done with by now, but dont forget to SMILE, even if you are hating it. At least the punters will think you are having fun and feed off it.
And yes, limit the alcohol intake.
Booze only makes you think you are playing well. Reality is often a trainwreck....

Credentials: First paid gig in 1954.