Why become a member? ×

Is this not the coolest bass EVER??

PaulKing

Right, vested interest then!
I've been keeping tracks on the seller for a while, he had a couple of these 2 years ago... pounced when I saw it.
Beautifully packed and delivered to door in 9 days.

Instant jobs ... Filed nut grooves down, removed carpet squares (😳) from under pickups, adjusted action down from like an inch, replaced old roundwounds with lovely Labella flats.

Plays really nice, action still high, and buzzes on the 16th on top string... all in good time.

Wiring and pickup engineering is fabulously clunky ... and fallen apart. Nothing attached to anything else, pickups are welded to side of scratch plate. Start again. Doubt the existing pup works, but will try to save it. Planning to put hofner staple tops on instead. And rewire.

Front switch a 7 position toggle switch ... blender between pups?

Anyway I love it. Cosmonaut bass.

You'll struggle to blend the pups until you source another pup to blend! :lol:

Love it. I'm a Hofner man (with occasional excursions into Framus and Klira) but those Jolana basses do look the bizniz.

I'll be interested to hear if it can be made to sound as good as it looks.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1444289973' post='2881828']

I'll be interested to hear if it can be made to sound as good as it looks.
[/quote]

Me too! Loud acoustic, warm tone. Old pup looks seriously ropey, sealed up... but the speed bump pup on my old Kay was dodgy and it sounds amazing now.

Klira? That's a new one on me. There's something Framus-y about this one. Steelwork...

Maybe time for a proud family portrait later ... Jolana, Kay, Hofner President, Harmony H22, Kay 162... 162 seems outta place now, reissue .. No longer getting the love!

[quote name='PaulKing' timestamp='1444293678' post='2881876']
Klira? That's a new one on me.
[/quote]

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20SOLD/Klira%20Semi%20Defretted%201960s%20SOLD/6hoq46.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20SOLD/Klira%20Semi%20Defretted%201960s%20SOLD/6hoq46.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Family

[attachment=202625:5basses.JPG]

[attachment=202626:3 uprights.jpg]

Jolana update ... frets dressed.
Wonky neck ... how to remove neck held by single 4mm square bolt, recessed into heel...?

Moment of revelation ... old wind up clock! Winding key fits bolt perfectly!
So, neck off, slight shim to one side inside joint, neck back on. Not quite ... off... on .. off ... on etc.
Finally, dead straight, good angle, lovely action.
Sounding sweeter all the time.

Looking forward to rewire and 1 or 2 new staple tops....

Not sure if this will be useful, but there's a pickup maker in Slovakia who's been around since communist times and just might have some bits lying around. His English is sub-Shakespeare but he manages.

http://www.electrosonic.szm.com/

Contact info in small print near the top of the page.