Why become a member? ×

If Anyone Puts Down Gigging

blue

[i]"If anyone puts down gigging, tell them, Gigging is fun!"[/i]

So many people write about how they dislike gigging, which I will never understand, I love gigging, can't get enough actually.

Let's write positive stuff about gigging, why it's fun for you, the benefits and why you like it.

Blue

Edited by blue

Totally agree Blue, gigging is why I`m in a band. Yes I love rehearsing and recording, but gigging is the main thing for me. The whole buzz of it, driving to a new venue, seeing new audiences get into our music. Playing venues regularly and seeing the same faces at many gigs and chatting to them about the music plus making friends with them. I also love the solitude of a quiet drive home in the early hours.

Gigging (mostly weddings & functions) has enabled me to reduce my day job from 5 to 4 days...and next years calendar is filling up too! Plus excess wedding food leftovers often means the fridge is never empty - especially for cheese - what's not to like? 😏😋

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444287163' post='2881804']
Playing music I've written (or had a part in writing) and watching people enjoy it is a great feeling.
[/quote]

Agreed. Much as I enjoy rehearsing and working on stuff, it's the positive reaction of an audience (no matter how small) that makes all the effort, expense (and arguments!) worthwhile :)

That said, I don't think I could go back to gigging every weekend again. Too many other things in my life now. So when we play I like the gigs to be good quality. But it's difficult to get good gigs when you don't play so often... bit of a Catch 22.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1444286198' post='2881800']
Gigging (mostly weddings & functions) has enabled me to reduce my day job from 5 to 4 days...and next years calendar is filling up too! Plus excess wedding food leftovers often means the fridge is never empty - especially for cheese - what's not to like?
[/quote]

'I do it for the cheese'.....I like it.

Guest bassman7755

I'm in the quality over quantity camp when it comes to gigs. Not really interested in playing pokey pubs with a dozen ambivalent punters, which sadly seems to account for an alarmingly high proportion of them.

I play music because I love it
I also like the actual rehearsing bit too - working together with others,
to get a tight sound, or just having a jam can be lots of fun

But yes, ultimately the aim has to be to gig the music to an audience
Sure, there will be good gigs, great gigs, OK gigs and not so good gigs
But I think we just have to accept the rough with the smooth
Unless you've played a place before, and it was awful - in which case.... avoid

EDIT: And sometimes a not so good gig helps underline how good a "good gig" was

Also, there's nothing quite like the feeling of playing a great gig, where the audience are dancing and or singing along
and people come up to you afterwards and tell you how much they enjoyed it :)

Live music - there's nothing else quite like it

Edited by Marc S

I love playing with other people. Doesn't necessarily have to be with an audience.

Due to work commitments and other things I currently play with a local music trust orchestra. We rehearse every week and perform 3 times per year.

I love it - and it is really improving my reading skills.

But the carrying of kit, the organisation, the bookings etc - that bit I hate. Fortunately I don't do any of the admin at the moment, I just turn up and play with a great bunch of people.

Even when we split into small ensembles it's fantastic.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1444283119' post='2881785']
gigging is why I`m in a band: Yes. I love rehearsing and recording, but gigging is the main thing for me.
[/quote]

Fixed. Hate to be a forum nazi, but you do need to take more care with your punctuation. I'm glad I was there to rescue you.
Congrats, BTW.
;)

Edited by BassTractor

I love it because you "PLAY" music, and play is fun, therefore gigging is fun, yes there are the downsides, venue maybe poor, sound bad, lugging the gear, crap beer, little money, 3 people turn up, you make a load of mistakes, getting home late, but you still did the gig and at some point were applauded for your efforts, so for me gigging is great and I love, as even a bad gig is better than no gig at all.

I have never understood the idea of a musician who doesn't perform. Doesn't seem much point in bothering with all of the work necessary to be a player if you are not going to play live. Recording is great but it is a bit artificial in terms of securing a flawless performance. Also, I like the social aspects of live work and of interacting with other human beings, be they other musicians or the audience.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1444296383' post='2881908']
I have never heard any musician say I don't like gigging... Are you just a TB reject member?
[/quote]

Oh come on, plenty of bedroom musicians who don't have the faintest interest of playing in anger, and then those that like creating and composing, primarily on computer, having no desire to strap on a plank of wood and get down the local pub.

Yes, Blue does come across as provocative, but TB reject? Not really in the spirit of BC is it?

p.s. I avoid any of his threads about the Beatles :o

Edited by Mykesbass

That typical big crash ending to a song where the cymbals are going, you are playing at the high end of the neck, and the guitarist is soloing. The audience are clapping and shouting and you look across and all your band mates are smiling.....not a feeling like it in the world

As someone who participates in the creative process (be it writing from scratch or adding my tuppence worth to someone else's idea), I don't relish the prospect of creating in a vacuum - the songs need to be played to random people to see how they go down otherwise how will you know if you're any good at writing songs?

I hate the thought of gigging. All that driving, lugging gear, hanging around trying not to drink too much (& failing), missing the big game on a Saturday night...then I go on stage & I'm in my element, & it's the best thing in the world again at least until the next morning. Funny innit.

I know I'll never give it up while I'm still able to do it tho. I've had periods when I've been up on blocks so to speak - generally a couple of months between bands here & there - & it feels like there's a big part of my life missing. Eurgh.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1444297837' post='2881935']
That typical big crash ending to a song where the cymbals are going, [b][i]you are playing at the high end of the neck[/i][/b], and the guitarist is soloing......not a feeling like it in the world
[/quote]

Eh?! :lol: