Why become a member? ×

Flattening a scratchplate

MoonBassAlpha

I'm doing some work on an 85 MIJ Ibanez Roadstar 11 guitar, the plate on which has warped somewhat. It's single ply black. Any top tips for getting it straight again?
I know some plastics have a "memory" and will revert to their original moulded shape under heating.
Cheers
MBA

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1444323116' post='2882272']
How about the scratchplate though? ;)

Seriously though, did you heat it whilst it was screwed to the guitar or off the guitar with some freestyle bending? (if that's a thing)
[/quote]

:lol:

No, you certainly want it off the guitar.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1444324499' post='2882292']
I wonder if anyone has tried a domestic iron on very low heat? might do the same as the oven trick?
[/quote]

I just did this just now. I put a towel on the floor, PG on the towel and an old shirt on top of that. I then ironed the PG through the shirt (any old cloth will do). The PG got all soft like plastacine and i then put a glass kitchen board on top of it and books on top of that, to keep it flat whilst cooling.

My buckled PG is now flat. Job done and a custom PG is no longer on the shopping list.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1444324002' post='2882278']
Put it between two heavy sheets of glass in the sunlight. Leave it a while. Sorted.
[/quote]I was going to suggest the sheets of glass, but in a very low oven. I expect the sun would work, though.