Why become a member? ×

To Markbass or not, that is the question???

fordbass

Hi all,

Been considering upgrading my current Ashdown head to the Markbass Little Mark III and wondered what the good people of Basshcat have to say on the matter??

Currently running an Ashdown MAG 300 head into a Trace Elliot 1 x 15, I play in a rock/pop covers band and my current rig does us fine but you know how it is

Love to hear what you guys (and gals) have to say, whether it be good or bad

Keep it low

Cheers

Steve

I have one, they're nice - relatively uncoloured but still quite full sounding if that makes any sense.

Nice and light, plenty of power for any gigs I'm likely to do.

The only thing which I wasn't expecting is mine failed (fixed inside warranty, just), but they are supposed to be generally quite reliable AFAIK.

I got one too. Had a Markbass combo earlier and missed it, so when I found a good s/h one at a good price I just bought it. Pros: the two filters, VLE and VPF are all tone tweaking I use: one for rolling off high end and the other for mid scoop. A tad of each gives a nice allround tone...

I actually moved from a Mag300 to a LMII and agree with the others. I love my MB rig. I had the Mag 300 for about 18 months and never really found myself happy with it. I also find the LMII to be a great mix of transparent and fat. I barely use the EQ at all on mine but love the sound.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1444326415' post='2882312']

The only thing which I wasn't expecting is mine failed (fixed inside warranty, just), but they are supposed to be generally quite reliable AFAIK.
[/quote]

Mine has just failed after just over three years use. Disappointing considering one of the reasons I bought it was their reputation for reliability. Apart from that, I really like it.

Cheers everyone for your input, I have gone for it and it should be here Monday, so we will find out then if I like it!
Re. the reliability issues, tbh it could happen with anything even the supposedly "reliable" makes, but I always carry a spare head when gigging as well as having my DI pedal should we get desperate lol

Have a great weekend all!

When i got back in ot playing bass 12 years ago i started with a Ashdown EB-115 combo, but quickly moved up to a MAG 300 C-115 combo. It felt it did the job for many gigs but lacked volume for some. I got a ABM 300 head when the MAG started distorting at low volume. I used this head with the speaker for a while but didnt relaly like the ABM tone. I then got a Schroeder 1210R. This was ok but i still didnt really get on with the ABM. I then discovered MarkBass and got a SA450 (after loaning a LMII while i waited for it to be delivered). Over the years ive tried getting away from MB but keep going back to them. At one point i had the SA450 and LMII. These days its just a F1 head. I have never had any issues with any of the MB stuff, although i hated the one MB cab i had.
I still have the MAG combo but it doesn't get used these days. Good as a back up though.

Thanks again for your replies, and contrary to everyones opinion above the MarkBass has come and gone, I'm not saying it wasnt nice and a good sound, but to me wasnt any better than my Ashdown, maybe I am just accustomed to working with the MAG, but what I got out of the MB didnt warrant me paying £400 for, so I have stuck with the MAG

I suppose its what you like that matters not just the fact that something has a good name and reputation to back it up, so for now the Ashdown is staying, keeps the wife happy too that I'm not wasting my money on bass gear again lol!

Just a story... but I'll post it anyway as we are talking Markbass.
Now, for me, not what I'm looking for

Muso freind had a Ashdown mini rig 210/115 and an Ibanez.
It really REALLy didn't work and I was thinking he didn't know what he was
looking for.... ( borne out by the fact that he favours a back pickup style, but doesn't really have
it down)...
Basically it didn't carry the band and thereofer the band sound was 'weak',,,, traded it in for a
MB 102 and and ext 210 and it has transformed his sound and the band.
Maybe he just lucked out with the set-up and even tho he still favours an unworkable, IMO, back pickup style,
the sound is much fuller.

So..Markbass can do older school sounds...and I always liked the 102 ...never went for the 121 tho..which is odd.
But I'm talking borrowing here.

So this story... plus the fact that another mate gets a great sound out of his MB 2x210 shows the 210 set-up is pretty capable.

Thansk for that JTUK and davehux, not saying it wasnt powerful enough just didnt warrant paying £400 for what I can do with the Ashdown, just for the record I play in a rock covers band, 5 piece with 2 guitars and I run the MAG through a Trace Elliott 1 x 15 and sometimes with an Ashdown 2 x 10 on top, and the Ashdown is more than adequate to keep up with the rest of them, rarely get it past the 9 o clock position on the volume, but never have to go as far as the 12 o clock so more than ample, but each to his own, playing a Fender Jazz but always use the neck pickup never the bridge, and never had any complaints lol, also my brother is one of the guitarists and hes been in bands for years and knows what hes doing and he dont complain, and believe me thats a good thing lol

Edited by fordbass

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1444987211' post='2887829']
I've had.......

An LM II
A TTE500
2 F1's

...think I quite like Markbass

Currently running a Geddy Jazz through a BDI-21 VT pedal, through an F1 and into a Barefaced S12T and I'm in tone heaven :D
[/quote]

Must admit i couldn't use a MB head without some form of pre amp in front. Got a VTBass Di at the moment but ive had BDDi's/Paradrivers/ Darkglass VTMD and still got a BDI-21. These things seem to breath a bit of life in to my F1 head.

dave bass 5 I must admit I have acquired a SansamP Bass Driver and I must admit it does add some oomph to the proceedings but I dont use it with my normal covers band, but I do with the other band I'm in as our drummer is effing loud lol

• 2 weeks later...

Do it. One of my favourite amo heads I've used.
Recently brought (brand new) one of the Chinese/Indonesian made one's and its pretty indistinguishable from an older Italian made version.

Preamp is very solid and pleasant sounding and the power amp is very good and delivery the watts it says it can.

No comlaints from me.

For what its worth I bypass the preamp as I use my own pedal based one.