Why become a member? ×

Which j pickup upgrade?

spiltmilk_2000

So, have bought a bitsa jazz bass. In the past have bought vintage or cs fenders so have never mucked around changing pups but thought with a bitsa it might be fun to upgrade here and there and have an experiment.

So, what brands should I consider? I guess I'm more into a passive vintage kind of tone but might consider something active and a little more modern sounding. But the options seem almost too plentiful! Any advice on either good passive or active upgrades greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Ps. Apologies if this isn't the best forum for this question...

I am a big fan of the Lindy Fralin pickups I have different pickups in each of my Precision's and the Fralin equipped one is definitely my favourite and is preferred by both bands as well.....how much of it is down to the pickup though is a different question!

I like the Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks. Hum-cancelling, which is always good on a Jazz, plus sound great, really full. That said, I`ve been very impressed with the Custom Shop pickup in my 2015 US Precision, and Jazzes now also have Custom Shop pickups in them - if they`re as good as the Precision ones they have to be worth checking out.