Why become a member? ×

Bass plugins for Reaper DAW

Che

Hi all,

just a total newbie here who started recording a bit. I use Reaper. I've heard that Reaper has many plugins for guitar and bass in form of amps and cabs and pedals and what not but I seem not to have all those.

For bass I only found the Fender Bassman. Whatever comes with it in the FX window like distortion is crap imo. Some reverb is ok and some delay too. I mostly use the Stereo enhancer, Reverb and EQ.

But I would like to get these nice plugins which visually show the amp and the cab and even pedals. Some Apple software has this I think??

Also is there such a plugin I can use while playing the bass instead of playing clean and then adding fx? I hate to play clean and then add distortion or whatever. I get inspired by the sound itself and if I want to play distortion then I must play with it and not add it afterwards (which I find very annoying and fake-like).

Thanks for any and all help and tips you can give to this utter beginner. Ah yes, if I can get those plugins for free would be great but affordable will also do if it can cover my needs.

you should be able to add any fx into your monitor feed, just make sure the fx is active as you play and that you have record monitoring switched on.
regarding actual fx with amps sims and stuff the majority of the stuff is paid for, but some come with basic free trial versions such as amplitube (the one i use) and you can buy different cab sims for a cost. I would never condone looking for the full software packages on torrent sites.

[quote name='Che' timestamp='1444427136' post='2883274']...
Thanks for any and all help and tips you can give to this utter beginner. Ah yes, if I can get those plugins for free would be great but affordable will also do if it can cover my needs.
[/quote]

Good evening, Che...

You might find inspiration rummaging through stuff on this site...

[url="http://www.vst4free.com/"]VST4Free ...[/url]

... where you'll find numerous amp sims and disto FX, amongst other things. Have fun; others will doubtless have many other suggestions, too... The thrill is in the chase.

[quote name='Old_Ben' timestamp='1444522103' post='2883865']
I would never condone looking for the full software packages on torrent sites.
[/quote]

I think he meant 'free' legal version(s), and not free as in 'pirate'.
:)

Have a look here.
Some free and some paid for.
http://atoragon.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/the-best-free-vst-bass-amps-sims.html

Edited by lowdown

If £95 is affordable, then Mark Studio 2 is worth a look.

You said "some Apple software has this". If it's a Mac that you have, then GarageBand has a simple version & Logic has the very thing you asked for (it's £150, but if you have a Mac, well worth it).

Edited by xgsjx

Good morning Dad! I have seen that VST site before but most stuff is some strange synth sounding stuff. Can you suggest some plugin in particular from that site?

lowdown, I did download Emissary amp and 3rd amp but how do I import them into Reaper? Thanks for helping this utter beginner :)

I have a PC Windows 7. I don't mean pirate but free of charge :)

This digital recording sure ain't easy :ph34r:

[quote name='Che' timestamp='1444555552' post='2883963']...Can you suggest some plugin in particular from that site?...
[/quote]

Certainly, although some (most..?) of the fun is in trawling through, trying out stuff and rejecting half of it. Personally, I don't use disto on bass, so can't recommend any particular pedal (I have never understood how one can find a nice sound, then convert it to a 'torn speaker'...), but here's a set-up you might like to try...

[url="http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Free_Amp_3&id=580"]Free Amp ...[/url]

Here's a decent bass amp simulator

[url="http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=SHB-1&id=1132"]Ignite Bass Amp...[/url]

... and a classic bass overdrive...

[url="http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=TSE_B.O.D&id=1321"]TSE BOD...[/url]

If you're after 'metal' tones, this might suit..?

[url="http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Bass_Grinder_Free&id=2082"]Bass Grinder ...[/url]

That's 4, from a choice of over 50, simply from the Guitar/Amp section of that site, which has categories for almost everything one could wish to experiment with; all for free. Once you've an idea of what suits your style and taste, there are many more Vst's out there, some free, some inexpensive, some more so. These will keep you busy for a while, though.
I have very simple tastes, and, being old and half deaf, don't go in for much more than minimalist. My favourite plug-ins are the standard Reaper EQ and Compression tools; for bass I'll sometimes use the Hiamp simulator from Amplitube, mostly because I use a Hiwatt amp for bass 'live'. I don't use pedals and stuff on bass, just plug in and play.
Have fun; hope this helps...

Disclaimer: I'm a drummer... :blush:

Edited by Dad3353

One of the reasons I don't use to much VST stuff is that I can never remember how to bring them in , I have a rough idea that there is a place that you put the downloaded file , then Reaper scans the place and recognises it , but it takes me half an hour each time I do it :blush:

[quote name='Che' timestamp='1444563881' post='2884088']
Thanks Dad! I downloaded all suggested.

Does anyone know how to import these into Reaper?? Tried but cant find the way (I need some sort of recording for dummies)
[/quote]
[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1444564781' post='2884099']
One of the reasons I don't use to much VST stuff is that I can never remember how to bring them in , I have a rough idea that there is a place that you put the downloaded file , then Reaper scans the place and recognises it , but it takes me half an hour each time I do it :blush:
[/quote]

In Reaper, Menu 'Options/Preferences' (Ctrl 'P'...)...
From the list on the left: 'Plug-ins/VST'...
There, you can see the path (or paths...) that Reaper uses when looking for Vst's. By default, I think it's 'C:\Program Files\VstPlugins' or similar. You can edit this for changing or adding paths if required.
There is an extensive Reaper User Manual downloadable here...

[url="http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php"]Reaper User Guide ...[/url]

... well worth perusing, as are the other documents on that page.

Edited by Dad3353

Edited to Add: Beaten by Dad3353 (and his is a more complete answer!).

Open the Preferences window (sorry, I'm on Mac, so can't help you with that). Go to Plug-ins section, VST sub-section. Look for the VST plug-in path listed. Copy your new VSTs to that folder then click on the Re-scan button.

Edited by RalphDWilson

More complete still, many Vst's are '.dll' files, that will be recognised by Reaper (or any other programme using Vst's...), and it suffices to copy them to any folder mentioned above. Some, however, have to be installed, and will usually prompt for a path for the Vst. Any of the paths mentioned above will enable correct installation.

do you have to put all the files that come with the VST in that path or just the .dll file ?

Mine all seem to work , but I rather think that it is more likely down to luck than judgement and the fact I have copied and pasted the files everywhere I can :blush:

I fear if I clean up the install of them, I will lose half of my tracks :(

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1444571593' post='2884175']
do you have to put all the files that come with the VST in that path or just the .dll file ?...
[/quote]

Usually, I'd make a folder for such Vst's and put the whole folder inside the VstPlugins folder. The dll will want to find its associated files, and I find this keeps things quite tidy. Reaper will find anything nested inside the VstPlugins folder, so I made sub-folders by category for them all, like this ...

[url="http://imgur.com/OglpaIP"][/url]

...I have another, similar, folder for 64-bit Vst's. I simply declare these parent paths to Reaper and all is found. If I no longer want to use anything, I simply remove the whole sub-folder and put it elsewhere, or scrap it if it's really 'duff'.
It should be noted that this 'organisation' becomes al the more useful when, as I have, there are over 12,000 files inside this one Vst parent folder. It wouldn't bear thinking about having all that stuff swilling about without some kind of system. It works for me; anyone got any better solutions..?

I did as told here and my computer cant find the vstPlugins on my C:drive or anywhere else. I did add my folder to the options-vst- in Reaper but nothing appears in the Reaper FX windows. (I did re-scan)

Im so embarrassed :( I will have to read or ask over at the Reaper forum.

I think for me its best to get an amp and then mic it and record that way ... ugh

Thanks for all the tips tho, much appreciated

Edited by Che

[quote name='Che' timestamp='1444576622' post='2884220']
I did as told here and my computer cant find the vstPlugins on my C:drive or anywhere else...
[/quote]

What computer do you have, and what Operating System..? No need to feel embarrassed; I'm still stumbling along at the grand old age of 65, and I spent a whole career in IT..! It's not always evident, but once the 'light bulb' moment comes, things get (slightly...) better. We'll be able to talk you through this, I'm sure. The Cockos forums are very good, too, of course.
So..?

There's nothing to move, so don't try.
In the '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]C:\Program Files (x86)' folder, create a folder named '[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Steinberg'. Inside of that, create another folder named '[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]VstPlugins '. Put your Vst '.dll' files in there; Reaper will find them. Try it..?[/font][/color]

Ok did all that, now I have Steinberg and VstPlugins in it BUT :) I just noticed now that all my plugins are in a Zip format and not .dll How do I reformat them? (if possible) example '3rd_Bass.zip' I tried to open that file and it sais "Windows cant ope this file"

[quote name='Che' timestamp='1444584786' post='2884294']... I tried to open that file and it sais "Windows cant ope this file"
[/quote]

You may need a programme such as 'WinZip' or WinRar'; these are easily found for download from numerous sites on t'web.

[url="http://www.winzip.com/win/en/landing/prodpagewz.html"]WinZip ...[/url]

It's odd; I thought Win7 knew how to 'unzip' these files. Have a look at this first...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVwAlaEWdys[/media]

Edited by Dad3353

Another (totally) free programme for zipping and unzipping.
7-Zip - Very popular and unzips just about anything.
(Not that the others mentioned above don't).
Tech folks seem to think it has better compression ratios,
But who knows? They all do the job for the average needs,
just another option really.
http://www.7-zip.org

Edited by lowdown