Why become a member? ×

Wah wah

GM10

I have a tradional Jim Dunlop wah wah pedal. I'm loving playing my bass through it, although haven't tried it in a live situation. Is it worth investing in the bass wah wah version? My, not so brilliant musical ear likes the sound of playing bass through the guitar version

Don't count it out. You'd be surprised how it can add a little something into the mix when used tastefully and sparingly. When I was playing in a covers band it got used on a couple of funky numbers, You Really Got Me by the Kinks and Get It On by T-Rex (which we used to finish with a bit of a wig out).

[quote name='GM10' timestamp='1444824793' post='2886382']
What i have noticed is the guitar wah wah drops in volume when engaged and you lose bottom end which is fairly predicatble really
[/quote]

This. If you try it in a band situation you will notice your bottom drop out when you engage the pedal. The bass version does not do this but be warned it is a very different 'wah' sound to the guitar version - the bass one leaves the low end clean and only applies the effect to certain frequencies. A quick Youtube should give you some idea.
If you love the effect of the standard wah but want to use it in a band setting you could always split your signal so you always have a clean tone running alongside the wah.
There are also some wahs out ther that work very well with both guitar and bass - the Ibanez Weeping Demon springs to mind.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1444837115' post='2886554']
This. If you try it in a band situation you will notice your bottom drop out when you engage the pedal. The bass version does not do this but be warned it is a very different 'wah' sound to the guitar version - the bass one leaves the low end clean and only applies the effect to certain frequencies. A quick Youtube should give you some idea.
If you love the effect of the standard wah but want to use it in a band setting you could always split your signal so you always have a clean tone running alongside the wah.
There are also some wahs out ther that work very well with both guitar and bass - the Ibanez Weeping Demon springs to mind.
[/quote]

Good idea splitting the signal, must learn how to do that.

[quote name='GM10' timestamp='1444687249' post='2885156']
Is that a bass wah Pinball
[/quote]

Apologies for the late reply.

It is an Ibanez Weeping Demon, It is highly tweak-able in that it has a low dial, a volume dial and a range switch. It also has various operation modes. I just leave it set so that it is off when not pressed. Turn up the bass, the range switch and volume so that you cut through and your off.

With all those variables it must have been designed as an all rounder with bass in mind.

I used to have a Morley which was nice and solid but it didn't seem to achieve much in the mix. The Ibby has a more dramatic effect-it can be vicious with distortion though so you need to practice a bit. Since getting it I haven't looked at any others as it does what I want

There is a new verion without all the controls so check you get the right one.

Note: I have it first in my line of effects. No tone suck when its off :)

Info here:

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ibanez-tone-lok-wd7-weeping-demon-wah-pedal"]http://www.musicians...demon-wah-pedal[/url]

Edited by Pinball

HI I use a Jim Dunlop Cry Baby, a Bass flanger & a Octave Pedal, (i have 2 on the board, the ashdown doesnt track long notes well, and the other Brand escapes me has a hasher sound)

I do a bass lead type solo on rocky mountoan way, (totally self indulgent) your right about the Guitar wha wah and what it does to the tones but 11!! i mean 11 ha ha