Why become a member? ×

How do you decide which bass...

Cameronj279

Dead easy, if it's a jazz gig like tomorrow for instance then I'd take the Modulus, for a pop or function gig I'd take the Modulus, and for an anything else gig, then I'd take the erm.... Modulus :).

The joys of only owning one bass :).

Random but over time fair distribution. It's pretty much on a whim, but I try to take a different one every time. If I've decided which one to take to a gig then I'll do the rehearsal before with that bass. Think of it as an installation test ;)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1444475613' post='2883511']
Different basses for different bands but also with some overlap between some of them.
[/quote]
Apologies for quoting myself but I wanted to add that usually I would only buy a particular bass because I see it being used with a particular band.

All my basses sound like basses so I use whichever one looks right for the band. For the Terrortones currently this is the Warwick Star Bass.

If I was auditioning for a new band I'd probably take the red Gus as this is the best playing and most versatile sounding and it makes it clear that I'm not a conventional musician. Any band that had a problem with it is very unlikely to be a band I would want to be a member of.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1444558199' post='2883998']
All my basses sound like basses so I use whichever one looks right for the band. For the Terrortones currently this is the Warwick Star Bass.

If I was auditioning for a new band I'd probably take the red Gus as this is the best playing and most versatile sounding and it makes it clear that I'm not a conventional musician. Any band that had a problem with it is very unlikely to be a band I would want to be a member of.
[/quote]

You know, that's kind of what I was thinking when I read through this thread, a bass is a bass with your eyes closed they can all pretty much sound the same :).

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1444558482' post='2884002']

You know, that's kind of what I was thinking when I read through this thread, a bass is a bass with your eyes closed they all sound the same :).
[/quote]

You'll get chased with pitchforks for saying stuff like that. Of course when the "P bass is the only bass you need" brigade have their way and eradicate all other basses from the world then all basses will sound the same ;)

Except they won't and we'll be subjected to endless maple vs. rosewood and alder vs. ash debates and how everything was better before 1965.

Edited by neepheid

We rehearse in my spare room , which is where I keep my 14 guitars, so I just grab one off the wall and mix and match all the time. It's when we gig, I have to decide but always end up taking the Fenders anyway!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1444559150' post='2884017']
No basses don't all sound the same, but within the context of the band sound they can all be made to sit properly in the mix with a few tweaks in the signal chain.
[/quote]

That is more plausible.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1444557521' post='2883990']
Apologies for quoting myself but I wanted to add that usually I would only buy a particular bass because I see it being used with a particular band.
[/quote]

No apologies for quoting the post that quoted my post:

Conversely, I don't buy a bass if I can't see it featuring in my musical future. That's why I didn't buy a Dingwall when the opportunity presented itself (not to say I wouldn't one day though).

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1444559100' post='2884015']

You'll get chased with pitchforks for saying stuff like that. Of course when the "P bass is the only bass you need" brigade have their way and eradicate all other basses from the world then all basses will sound the same ;)

Except they won't and we'll be subjected to endless maple vs. rosewood and alder vs. ash debates and how everything was better before 1965.
[/quote]

Not even all Precisions sound the same.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1444583061' post='2884279']
If it's a group I've never played with, or a jam I've not been to, I usually go with the safe/boring (delete as appropriate) option and take one of my Precision-style basses. I find it's good to get to know the lay of the land before turning up with the Thunderbird...or the 8-string!
[/quote]

Not an option I really have...one bright yellow bass and another coffee table one. One advantage of sticking with one band I suppose!