Why become a member? ×

How do you decide which bass...

Cameronj279

Guest bassman7755

When I'm gigging regularly (which I'm not right now) I tend to use my main bass only for gigs and use another one for practice and rehearsals. I do this in order to keep the strings on the main bass as fresh as possible (Edit: ninja'd by lozz). Also I often use my fretless for practicing including the stuff I intend to play fretted at the gig.

Edited by bassman7755

I've just joined another band. First rehearsal I took a Fender P, a Stingray and my HB PJ5.
There was no need for the 5 string but both the P and Stingray fitted in really nicely.
Second practice I took just the P next time will just be the Stingray.
Then I'll have a better idea of what suits the whole set.

Then it'll be a case of ignoring the results and taking which ever bass I fancy at the time of the gig.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1444473526' post='2883485']
If both fit well, and don`t sound drastically different to each other, use one for rehearsals/home use, and save the other for gigs. That way the strings on the gigger will last longer.
[/quote]

Both do sound drastically different but both work very well. Should have said that originally. The strings on the Dingwall will always die quicker sadly since Elixirs won't fit! Good idea though Lozz

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1444475870' post='2883512']
You see my friends it all depends on the mood I'm in.
[/quote]

This. Any of my basses would sound ok with any band, so I just see which one beckons when it comes to going out of the door.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1444473630' post='2883488']
The strings on the Dingwall will always die quicker sadly since Elixirs won't fit!
[/quote]
Just a quick note on this: I contacted Elixir about this very issue (they have extra long Nanoweb nickel but not stainless), and their response was that they had no plans for extra long stainless nanowebs, which is a real shame.

To the OP, I have three basses which look very different (Dingwall, Shuker and Thunderland), but they sound very similar because they all have split-coil pickups and East U-Retros*, so I just pick whichever two I fancy on a whim for the night. Full-mix-of-styles weddings and small stages I won't use the Thunderland (it's a loooong bass), but rockier pub gigs I will.

* And they have different woods in their construction...but let's not go there again :)

I take multiples to practices, so I can see which sounds better / works better with songs. For gigs, it depends on what mood I am in as to what I take, and what the place is like and I take one as a backup just in case, again, depends what mood I am in what that is. Its basically all the same, the audience dont care, so the choice is just for me.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1444476584' post='2883523']
Keep them in identical cases/gig bags then grab one at random without checking the contents as you go out of the door and let fate decide?[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1444478203' post='2883541']
I have on more than one occasion opened the gig-bag to find what I was not expecting.
[/quote]

yep, played that game more than once, due to 3 identical gigbags... ended up taking my 74' Jazz on a 10 day Austrian tour when I really thought I'd grabbed my #2 Stingray in case it got damaged..

I used to use whichever I felt like as I was stepping out the door. Not so much of an issue now I only have one main bass. I'd go through phases though of preferring one to the other, then gig the less used one and really enjoy it and go on a run of playing that one for a while.