Why become a member? ×

Frustration of where I live

CyberBass

I've had this problem for a number of years living in Portsmouth, only recently have I been in a position to venture further afield, and even now it's limited to how far and when I can get out the area.

Down here the music is VERY same-y, that's not to say the bands aren't good, it's that the market is oversaturated by the same type of band and gigs all become much of a muchness. We have 4 distinct genres down here; British Rock, think The Who, Jam, Weller. Blues Rock, Metal (I'm gonna use a BIG brush here as there are too many bands that all sound the same but define themselves as different sub-genres), and finally Punk. This is outside of the general cover bands that do a bit of this, and a bit of that. Most bands die a death as they get a head of steam up playing 4-5 gigs in as many months then decided to work on new material away from gigging, then die from a lack of interest and ability to sustain the non-gigging times. I'm dying to go to a gig and hear some different stuff, it won't happen though.

Just recently moved into the same area for work, so hearing there's an abundance of rock cover bands is rather nice personally haha.

As the others said there's other places near enough, I was surprised how quick going back to peterborough was to pick up some more items from parents house.

Good luck with your search, pity we're both bassists, ha.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1444586079' post='2884312']
I've had this problem for a number of years living in Portsmouth, only recently have I been in a position to venture further afield, and even now it's limited to how far and when I can get out the area.

Down here the music is VERY same-y, that's not to say the bands aren't good, it's that the market is oversaturated by the same type of band and gigs all become much of a muchness. We have 4 distinct genres down here; British Rock, think The Who, Jam, Weller. Blues Rock, Metal (I'm gonna use a BIG brush here as there are too many bands that all sound the same but define themselves as different sub-genres), and finally Punk. This is outside of the general cover bands that do a bit of this, and a bit of that. Most bands die a death as they get a head of steam up playing 4-5 gigs in as many months then decided to work on new material away from gigging, then die from a lack of interest and ability to sustain the non-gigging times. I'm dying to go to a gig and hear some different stuff, it won't happen though.
[/quote]

That's a shame. I'm on the Isle of Wight, which is pretty good. Having two major festivals has helped, but we have a great scene with some great venues and brilliant bands. You should catch the fastcat and head over!

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1444588056' post='2884330']
That's a shame. I'm on the Isle of Wight, which is pretty good. Having two major festivals has helped, but we have a great scene with some great venues and brilliant bands. You should catch the fastcat and head over!
[/quote]
It's on the list to do for sure!

I feel a lot of the problem with the Pompey scene is the abundance of DIY/Part-timer promoters and bands who don't take it as seriously as some people want to, which in turn creates some bad vibes between the venues, bands, and promoters as no one seems to take any responsibility in ensuring the gig is successful. Hey ho, I'm sure I'll find my way somehow!

Very similar issues where I live. A lot of folk/acoustic acts, punk, metal or classic rock/rock covers bands.

If you're past your mid-20s originals are seemingly off limits, so you're stuck with covers bands playing very familiar sets.

There's also a bit of a closed shop feel to the place.

Edited by Marvin