Why become a member? ×

Which gear company or brand still has the quality they were once known for?

SingleMalt

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1444595492' post='2884434']
The only brand-new motorcycle I ever bought was a Yamaha. It stopped every time it rained, bits fell off and it wrecked a main bearing before it was two years old and less than 10000 miles. Their customer care was to ignore me. I was 17 at the time.

That was in 1974 and I swore I would never, ever buy another Yamaha product again.... and I never have and never will.

A pity because their bass guitars are excellent.

Frank.
[/quote]

Ha ha, imagine what mid-70s Fender motorcycles would have been like :)

This is purely my own anecdotal experience but when I first played a Tanglewood probably 18 years ago, it was OK for a sub £200.00 electric guitar, and based on other experiences of playing their older gear, both acoustic guitars and basses they were OK for cheap gear. In the last couple of years I played a new Tanglewood Acoustic guitar which was up there with lower range "premium" brands I've played.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1444578563' post='2884249']
Yamaha basses have been solidly good for as long as I have been playing. Having said that, pretty much everything made by them from instruments to motorbikes and everything in between are spot on.
[/quote]

I had an RBX765A for a while, it was well built and had a lovely finish. I'd probably have another if I needed a cheap 5'er.
The NE-1 I've had for the last ten years has worked superbly, works particularly nicely in conjunction with the V4.
My big old 02R digital mixer is built very well and still sounds great despite the fact it's probably 15 years old.
Lastly, my bike: A '92 FJ1200 with nearly 100K on the clock.Still goiing strong!

I think Yamaha is one of those companies that does things their own way, manage to make it work and have continued success because they build whatever it is to an excellent and consistant standard.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1444595492' post='2884434']
The only brand-new motorcycle I ever bought was a Yamaha. It stopped every time it rained, bits fell off and it wrecked a main bearing before it was two years old and less than 10000 miles. Their customer care was to ignore me. I was 17 at the time.

That was in 1974 and I swore I would never, ever buy another Yamaha product again.... and I never have and never will.

A pity because their bass guitars are excellent.

Frank.
[/quote]

Have used Yamaha PA's for several years & never had a problem. I would recommend them to anyone new because there manuals are quite good to get you up to speed. I've never taken one out when it's been raining though.

So, out of curiosity I've just bought a cheap old Motion bass off ebay as I'd never picked up one of their basses. Good fingerboard, 32.5" scale, and the 2 pickups sound excellent. I'm tempted to put a better bridge on it, new knobs, a new nut & a set of flats. I think it deserves a bit of restoration. It's quite lightweight & has an unusual lollipop headstock. I can't date it but I think they were marketed as a 'student/beginners' bass.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1444569476' post='2884164']
Where are Fender currently at - I know their 2000-2010 period was way better than their 70s and 80s output. Have they continued? Then again, that's their guitars, the amps have been up and down with the cyber nonsense, although I love my Rumble cabs.

I was saddened to hear from a dealer friend that Peavey are no longer their bomb proof former self.
[/quote]

Well my 2010 MIA Precision plays way better than the one I bought new in 1977 did.

But the 2010 0ne had issues with the paint, Fender tech were great and sorted it quickly without any messing about.

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1444561360' post='2884056']
I too love mine, and I'm having very good results with their customer service department.

However, I have heard, though not had first hand experience, that their new HD360s, TD660s and Fafner IIs are not nearly as good as the older kit :(

Would still live to give a Fafner II a go though.

Gallien-Kruger seem to have maintained a good reputation since the 80s
[/quote]

It's not really the HD360s and TD660s and Fafner 2 amps that have changed. They've had tweaks sonically which is either something you like or don't. As far as construction goes, they are still as they were. The chrome as gone - this was sold as "environmentally sound" decision... the cynic in me thinks it is because chroming the small handles is actually quite expensive.

The big changes have been in the cabs - the hardware all used to be the real deal Adam Hall stuff - they've been swapped out for cheaper equivalents. The covering has also changed - not as thick, not as robust.

The pedals have changed also - now made in China. The cheaper switches in them are an annoyance. They are prone to failing and the PCB mounting that they introduced in the change is a ballache when it comes to unsoldering and replacing. They became true bypass... the cynic in me would suggest that was done because it was cheaper than putting in a buffer...

For me, its a shame... but for them, it's about staying competitive in the market place.

Edited by EBS_freak

As I can only really comment on the stuff I have hands on experience of; I'd agree that Warwick have stayed constantly good - I've played one from every decade and they have all been top quality, I think putting the cheaper far-east stuff under a different brand name has helped them in this respect.

My recently made Fender is better than the Fenders I've played from the 70's & 90's though I doubt it's better than ones from the 60's but I've never played one so can't comment.

Ibanez seem to be one that has got better; the quality of their current stuff is very good even if I find their designs quite uninspiring.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1444598344' post='2884475']
:lol:
[/quote]
As I had a 2 stroke Benelli in the 70's - I can say they were rubbish - poor and unfathomable electrics, a clutch so firm that would have given me a left arm like Popeye if I had kept it and being a petrol - created its own fog bank at times.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1444578563' post='2884249']
Yamaha basses have been solidly good for as long as I have been playing. Having said that, pretty much everything made by them from instruments to motorbikes and everything in between are spot on.
[/quote]
They're my pick too - very solid and dependable instruments, always reasonably priced (apart from the BBNEII).

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1444652036' post='2884741']
They're my pick too - very solid and dependable instruments, always reasonably priced (apart from the BBNEII).
[/quote]

BBNE2 is reasonably priced... apart from in the UK. :( I remember I bought one brand new at £1150 off the Yamaha rep when they were about £1800. Just look at them now :(

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1444656099' post='2884801']

BBNE2 is reasonably priced... apart from in the UK. :( I remember I bought one brand new at £1150 off the Yamaha rep when they were about £1800. Just look at them now :(
[/quote]
At one point they were available to the UK from a Japanese retailer for about £1400. They're priced pretty steeply in Europe too.

I'll bite...... as per the previous post - Spector. From the very start (& even when owned by Kramer for a few years) they have always had one constant guiding their product. Stuart Spector himself.
He's always ensured that anything with his name on it is of a high standard at ALL price points. The man is a legend..... and a master of customer service too!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1444598300' post='2884472']
Ha ha, imagine what mid-70s Fender motorcycles would have been like :)
[/quote]

They were called Harley-Davidson. The Sportster 1000 was notorious for selecting two gears simultaneously, with unfortunate consequences.