Why become a member? ×

Which gear company or brand still has the quality they were once known for?

SingleMalt

Saw this thread on reddit, thought it might be interesting to see what people thought about basses and bass gear.

So the categories (so far!) are:[list]
[*]Brands that have maintained their quality level over the years
[*]Brands that just don't have the quality they used to
[*]Brands that have actually improved their quality from what they were known for
[/list]

Edited by SingleMalt

There could also, perhaps, be a third category for instruments that have improved virtually beyond recognition for which I would nominate Squier as a shining example, although to be fair the entry level bass market as a whole is massively better than it was when I started playing 25 odd years ago.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1444555915' post='2883967']
There could also, perhaps, be a third category for instruments that have improved virtually beyond recognition for which I would nominate Squier as a shining example, although to be fair the entry level bass market as a whole is massively better than it was when I started playing 25 odd years ago.
[/quote]

I like it. Going to add it to the op.

The Vintage Modified and Classic Vibes series are seriously fantastic. I've been gassing for a VM precision V for some time now.

Quite a few companies have taken a hit since relocating manufacture to the far east, but if proper QC and CS is in place there's no reason why this should be a disadvantage. I'm thinking of Ampeg. They also continue to suffer with the very negative reviews and forum threads about reliability and other issues regarding the SVT-7 Pro, which is a great shame as on paper this amp would suit me down to the ground! And I still want one regardless!! :blink:

But I'd say Fender have a very good brand image currently, after some very dodgy QC at various points in their history.

Edited by discreet

I would like to think Warwick have maintained a consistant high standard over the years. They're not currently fashionable but the product has always been good - I've played '80s, '90s and '00s examples and not one of them has ever been a dog..

As far as brands that have improved their quality from that they were known for, I'd nominate Behringer. I've read nothing but good reports about their new range of digital mixers and ancillary gear in particular regarding build quality, functionality, value and reliability.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1444558438' post='2884001']
As far as brands that have improved their quality from that they were known for, I'd nominate Behringer. I've read nothing but good reports about their new range of digital mixers and ancillary gear in particular regarding build quality, functionality, value and reliability.
[/quote]

Have to agree with this, a very good example of improvement

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1444560876' post='2884046']
Loved my EBS rig...from what I can see so does everybody else. Customer service is excellent too.
[/quote]

I too love mine, and I'm having very good results with their customer service department.

However, I have heard, though not had first hand experience, that their new HD360s, TD660s and Fafner IIs are not nearly as good as the older kit :(

Would still live to give a Fafner II a go though.

Gallien-Kruger seem to have maintained a good reputation since the 80s

In general the bespoke makers will always be good - they have to be to stay in business.

I have a SEI Original that's around 10 years old (good as it is, recent examples I've seen are if anything even better); I'm on my second Shuker (they've both been great); I have a Rob Williams guitar that is just superb; I have a 20-year-old Patrick Eggle guitar (good design but execution wasn't up there with the best - current range is very upmarket and looks to be in a different league).

Where are Fender currently at - I know their 2000-2010 period was way better than their 70s and 80s output. Have they continued? Then again, that's their guitars, the amps have been up and down with the cyber nonsense, although I love my Rumble cabs.

I was saddened to hear from a dealer friend that Peavey are no longer their bomb proof former self.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1444555396' post='2883962']
Wal basses have never comprommised and it remains a small operation with it's reputation based on the quality of it's products.
[/quote]

Wal are certainly top of my list. There are no doubt numerous smaller builders about whom the same could be said, it would appear however that the greater the size, the greater the chance of compromise.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1444555915' post='2883967']
[/quote]

Not sure, are Squiers today as good as those from the early 80's? A huge in quality dip followed be a renaissance is not really a net improvement?

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1444578563' post='2884249']
Yamaha basses have been solidly good for as long as I have been playing. Having said that, pretty much everything made by them from instruments to motorbikes and everything in between are spot on.
[/quote]

Agreed

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1444555396' post='2883962']
Wal basses have never comprommised and it remains a small operation with it's reputation based on the quality of it's products.

Same with Alembic, Fodera and Ken Smith. I am sure there are dozens of others.
[/quote]
[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1444592886' post='2884395']

Wal are certainly top of my list. There are no doubt numerous smaller builders about whom the same could be said, it would appear however that the greater the size, the greater the chance of compromise.
[/quote]

Perhaps unsurprisingly I have to agree with these gentleman.

Yamaha basses have been solidly good for as long as I have been playing. Having said that, pretty much everything made by them from instruments to motorbikes and everything in between are spot on.
[/quote]
Agree 100%. Fantastic company in terms of quality.

[/quote]

The only brand-new motorcycle I ever bought was a Yamaha. It stopped every time it rained, bits fell off and it wrecked a main bearing before it was two years old and less than 10000 miles. Their customer care was to ignore me. I was 17 at the time.

That was in 1974 and I swore I would never, ever buy another Yamaha product again.... and I never have and never will.

A pity because their bass guitars are excellent.

Frank.