Why become a member? ×

Will an Octave Pedal help me with a Dub sound?

Samfordia

I recently required a more dub like tone for a track I was working on. A professional bassist recommended the EBS Octabass as a pedal that could help me, is this correct? I am currently in the process of putting together my first ever pedalboard so any help on this would be great.

Feel free to use layman's terms!

An octave pedal used, and playing an octave higher will get you a more dubby sound, depending on the octave pedal, and how you set it and play..
I use an Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer which works well for the deep sub I want for some of the dance tracks I play... like most octave pedals, I find it doesn't track well below C though, so have to play accordingly.
I haven't used the EBS so can't comment on that particular pedal

Most dub players won't use an octave, and just boost the lows and cut the highs.
The old DOD Bi-Fet Pre pedal does a good dub sound!

But yes, if you want a more processed subby sound, get a Boss OC-2, crank the -1 control and turn off the direct signal control

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1444565002' post='2884103']
Most dub players won't use an octave, and just boost the lows and cut the highs.
[/quote]

Agreed. If fact if I were looking for a pedal for instant dub (band name anyone ?), I'd prolly look at an envelope filter - you can usually tweak them to act as low-pass filters that pump out nothing but bass.

EDIT: didn't see your post about the fx25,duewheresmybass

Edited by ahpook

LPF being: low pass filter.
These stop the high frequency of signal passing through, it makes the tone darker/flatter/warmer.
An octaver should replicate your note an octave down (or up, there are pedals that do both, simultaneously), this doesnt mean that the tone will be effected but the note will be lower.

What some people have mentioned is dropping the original signal out, this, again may effect the note and tone and explain the pedals better.

An octaver should sound like your playing an octave lower down the threat board, a LPF would make the tone bassier and less bright and a warmer thudiness.

I would use a LPF, some pedals have both octaver and LPF, like the COG T65. Listen to some YouTube clips, but sometimes these effects are lost on little speakers. What set up and speakers are you intending to play through as in your band, as you could use a Digitech Meatbox, but thats a bit serious deoending on yoyr needs.

Edited by Left Foot

If you want the ultimate low pass filter to give you the ultimate, natural sounding, cleanest, powerful, choose what you want to shake off the wall, filter for dub bass I can highly recommend the alembic SF-2 I've had one for about 12 years. It's awesome.
Not cheap unfortunately but they come up now and again on ebay.
[url="http://www.alembic.com/prod/sf2.html"]http://www.alembic.com/prod/sf2.html[/url] Edited by jazzyvee

I use an MXR Octave Pedal. It gives me the combination of thick low end with a touch of high end which allows me to play my parts up in the 9th and 12th frets using all closed string execution. You get a tight huge, thick sound that really great for supporting of giving a foundation under guitar solos.

Blue