Why become a member? ×

"You're only as good as your drummer" re-visited

Happy Jack

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1444683233' post='2885118']
excited with playing with their drummer.
[/quote]

That bit might need rephrasing, just saying. It's just there are so many smutty folk on this site, it might get misconstrued or some such something or other, or not. :huh: :)

I've always said that bass players need to be solid before they are flash. Same applies to drummers but unfortunately it seems that many of them want to try the flashy fills without being able to keep tempo and seem to think that hey pull it off.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1444683903' post='2885129']
That bit might need rephrasing, just saying. It's just there are so many smutty folk on this site, it might get misconstrued or some such something or other, or not. :huh: :)
[/quote]

:lol: there is a local hottie round here and she plays very well as well. Much in demand she is... :lol: and you know what it is about bass players..!! :lol:

That you are only as good as your drummer is very true. Try playing with a drummer who can't keep time and he'll destroy your will to live. Bum notes on other instruments don't have quite the same devastating effect, but weak link comments apply to the other band members as well.

An average band can carry passengers but no one can carry bad players.

I'm lucky, I usually play with good drummers. We just fired our long standing drummer, not because he wasn't good, but he's just slipped into playing like a drum machine. Nothing was bad, but there was nothing good either. Band dynamics are a very tricky thing to get right, but good bands will get things right more often.

It depends on the music/song doesn't it. Sometimes you can get away with a bad drummer, if the drums aren't that important.

I was at a wedding recently. The band were upstairs, and apart from the vocals, un-mic'd. Sax, guitar, bass, drums, singer. The drummer was going easy on the bass drum, and without a mic it was almost inaudible, but that didn't matter at all. He was simply providing a bit of percussion over the top of the incredible bassist who was essentially providing the beat. I just wanted to watch the band all night it was so good

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1444722139' post='2885247']
I've always said that bass players need to be solid before they are flash. Same applies to drummers but unfortunately it seems that many of them want to try the flashy fills without being able to keep tempo and seem to think that hey pull it off.
[/quote]Unfortunately the drums are the easiest instrument to be 'creative' on; you don't need to learn scales, you just throw your arms and legs all over the place.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1444733228' post='2885382']
It depends on the music/song doesn't it. Sometimes you can get away with a bad drummer, if the drums aren't that important.

[/quote]

Not really... IME. I don't know any good bands with bad drummers. And good drummers are always in demand.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1444733228' post='2885382']

I was at a wedding recently. The band were upstairs, and apart from the vocals, un-mic'd. Sax, guitar, bass, drums, singer. The drummer was going easy on the bass drum, and without a mic it was almost inaudible, but that didn't matter at all. He was simply providing a bit of percussion over the top of the incredible bassist who was essentially providing the beat. I just wanted to watch the band all night it was so good
[/quote]

Nobody provides the beat. It's just there and implied from the start of the song.

Some instruments will play on the beat and maybe reinforce it.

It's not the drummer's job to keep everyone else in time (whatever they think) and neither is it the bass player's. The band should be able to play if drums or bass stop and should still stay in time.

The difficulty comes when a drummer is unable to accept that he is playing an instrument and thinks he is in charge of the beat.

I've played with drummers who will go round the kit and miss-hit toms and nearly fall off the stool but when they come round to the next bar it's as if nothing happened.

I've also played with drummers who've done that only to be out of time for the next bar and then expect the whole band to drop a beat/fraction of a beat and wait for them.

It's just that the drummer and bass player are regarded more as the rhythm section. If a guitarist or singer are out of time, they won't pull the rest of the band out.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1444733437' post='2885386']
Unfortunately the drums are the easiest instrument to be 'creative' on; you don't need to learn scales, you just throw your arms and legs all over the place.
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:185803]

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1444739569' post='2885457']
I think any good musician will be in demand.

Do Floyd groove, or is it more their overall, combined sound ?
[/quote]

Not with Mason... but Wallis gave it that edge... IMO.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1444738927' post='2885447']
Not really... IME. I don't know any good bands with bad drummers. And good drummers are always in demand.
[/quote]

some bands have no drummer at all!

If you're just talking about pub rock, then a good drummer is pretty essential, arguably more so than any of the other musicians. If you're talking about music in general, then sometimes you can make do with "lesser" players, provided they know their place.

I suppose "knowing your place" is actually a more important musical skill than technical "chops".

Id say its true , but altered to read Drums and Bass, if one is fighting against the other both fail.

Once this is right , what you lay on top also depends on how good you are but without the foundation its a no show , even with world class vocals

I've played with drummers who seem to think that the only requirements are i) owning a drum kit and ii) believing that they can play in time. Other musicians tend to learn at least a basic knowledge of theory, even if it's just names of notes, and usually admit that they'd like to know more. But some drummers seem to adopt an "it's all about the feel, man" attitude and end up being sh*te. Which is a shame, because IMHO there's nothing like watching, or playing with, a good drummer.

Edited by tinyd