Why become a member? ×

"You're only as good as your drummer" re-visited

Happy Jack

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444651962' post='2884735']
You're only as good as the weakest member of the band really...
[/quote]

+1

The last band I played in had a virtuoso Guitard, my brilliance and a drummist who would announce at sound-checks..

'erm, sorry can't do that one now, I've forgotten it'

He pretty much used to clatter through each song the same. I threw in the towel. Shame, as the songs were good, just couldn't find the right sticksman

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1444652325' post='2884744']
+1

The last band I played in had a virtuoso Guitard, my brilliance and a drummist who would announce at sound-checks..

'erm, sorry can't do that one now, I've forgotten it'

He pretty much used to clatter through each song the same. I threw in the towel. Shame, as the songs were good, just couldn't find the right sticksman
[/quote]

I used to play in a band where the drummer also "played" the same thing for every song. I didn't think it could get worse til one night the singer didn't turn up and said drummer announced "no problem, I'll sing".... :o

• Like 1

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444651962' post='2884735']
You're only as good as the weakest member of the band really...
[/quote]

I don't know. I have played in bands where there was a weak keyboard player or a weak guitarist but both times the drummer was good. I think if the rhythm platform is solid then it can carry other weaker players - who may or may not bring something else to the party other than virtuosity. But a band with a bad drummer is a sorry thing.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1444655546' post='2884792']
What about a keys player who keeps playing the wrong chords, or a horn section playing all the wrong notes ?

I once did a show with a cellist who's intonation went out of the window when the lights went down.
[/quote]

It's not the same. The audience can wince while they dance.

If the drums and bass aren't locked together the audience can wince while they drink their drinks and stare at the empty dance floor.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1444654934' post='2884786']
True of The Beatles???
[/quote]

If that's a reference to Ringo, without wanting to open this can of worms, he was quite simply the perfect man and drummer for the job.

• Like 1

An anecdote..? yes..? Long-winded, as usual, so settle down comfortably.
Ready..? OK, then...

The region: Lower Normandy, France. Mid '70s; week-end dances held in most villages halls, with a repertoire of 'musette' (pre- and post-war accordion music, light French variety, occasionally a pop/rock hit or novelty dance, such as the twist...). I worked in a music shop and depped on bass or drums most week-ends, when my main band wasn't 'out'. A guitar buddy and myself were invited to meet up with a proud father, who'd bought from the shop a whole swathe of gear for his daughter to play; accordion, of course, but also organ (with accordion 'button' keys...), a PA rig, an amp... the whole smala. He had arranged a gig for some village fête, from 21h00 till 02h00 (the usual hours...), and was looking for musicos to fill out what he'd 'sold' as 'Catherine and her Orchestra'. I went with Jean-Pierre, my buddy, to the bloke's house to meet the girl and have a run-through in their garage; JP on guitar, me on drums. That's when we found out that the girl, a slight 13-year old, couldn't play a thing, and had not the least interest in music, gigs, orchestras or whatever. 'Pops' had invested all this, basically so that he could prance about a bit with a tambourine and show off his 'talented future star of a daughter'. Shock..! Horror..! Jean-Pierre lasted about 20 minutes, then bailed. I thought of the shop, and all the dough the fellow had spent; the reaction if he couldn't fulfil his gig obligations, and confirmed the rendezvous the following Saturday for the gig.
We set up, just the two of us; Catherine and myself, and at the allotted time, got the dance going. I played a fairly solid 'semi-disco' or light marching beat throughout the whole evening, varying tempo now and again to underline a paso doble, or tango, and passing to 3/4 or 6/8 occasionally when I thought a waltz or java would be appropriate. What did the girl play..? Heaven knows; it was totally unrecognisable, with neither chords, melody, beat nor tempo with any resemblance to anything I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot; even some very ropey stuff..!). There was no attempt to follow me, and I was sure as eggs not likely to try to 'follow' her The evening went well, everyone danced, nobody flinched or winced, the father was congratulated for the fine time everyone had, and we all got handsomely paid. As far as I know, there was never a repeat gig; I think the bloke had maybe, just maybe, learnt a lesson (although, maybe not...).
The moral of the tale..? Yes, in many circumstances, a half-decent drummer can save the day. 9_9

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

Great choice of drummers on the list, musos will know them (or should!) but nice to see them getting a Beeb name check. Don't know why there's a Purdie video on there though!

I know it's received wisdom that 'you're only as good as your drummer' but it's a philosophy I definitely subscribe to.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1444664799' post='2884895']

If that's a reference to Ringo, without wanting to open this can of worms, he was quite simply the perfect man and drummer for the job.
[/quote]

Agreed! Ringo must be the most under-rated drummer ever. He is perpetually ridiculed. However, if you listen to his fills , they are perfect for the songs.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

Drummer in one of my bands is a big fan of Ringo. Reckons a lot of his technique is due to him being left handed but playing a right handed kit - he starts off round his kit leading with his left, rather than his right.

Or something.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1444664799' post='2884895']
[/quote]
I wouldn't want to make a judgement on Ringo's relative abilities, but I do think that John Lennon's oft-quoted remark on the subject was a pretty unforgivable thing to say of a band-mate.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1444667853' post='2884938']
Drummer in one of my bands is a big fan of Ringo. Reckons a lot of his technique is due to him being left handed but playing a right handed kit - he starts off round his kit leading with his left, rather than his right.

Or something.
[/quote]

...in the way he moves ?

:)

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1444668060' post='2884941']

I wouldn't want to make a judgement on Ringo's relative abilities, but I do think that John Lennon's oft-quoted remark on the subject was a pretty unforgivable thing to say of a band-mate.
[/quote]

Lennon never said it. Jasper carrot did in a sketch.

So the discussion is about groove then. Ah, thought it was the overall sound of the band and the music and stuff, I fear we may have a difference of opinion in what are the important things in a song My mistake.

😊

Edited by ambient

Good drummer and a good singer in any band. The drummer is for me ;) , the singer for the audience...everything else can just about fluff things by and nobody tends to notice.

In one of my more relaxed moments in a band, when I wasn't overly worried about a lot, the singer asked me what to do about the lead guitarist. I asked what the problem was and he replied that the lead guitarist didn't play the lead breaks to the record. And? I asked. "well, doesn't it bother you?" mr vox asked. I said it didn't because I very rarely listened to him, our drummer was bang on the button and the singing was good so the band sounded tight and the audience were happy with the warbling, no problem in my book. The guitarist could do what the hell he wanted, it was always in key so what was to worry about :)

Following a six month stint with a band with a bad drummer I vowed never to play with a bad one again. I don't need them to have amazing chops as long as they have groove and can keep time.
I saw the band in question a month back and it was the same old story. Hideous timing and overplaying all over the shop. It was a shame as both singer and guitarist are very talented but the drummer ruins them. Neither can see how bad he is which is why I left.