Why become a member? ×

Buying a used bass.... the Truss rod; do you check it?

Grangur

It's all in the title really.

Every bass I've ever bought was used. I take a look at the TR adjustment so see if it looks ok. I look at the action, but something I've never done is get out the allen keys and try the adjustment on the TR.

I doubt I'm not alone here, but do many folk here actually try the TR adjustment?

After all, one of our biggest fears is getting it home and finding the TR is well and truly.... But to me it almost feels like it's like checking if the guy is a liar when he says it's all in good condition. So isn't it a bit embarrassing to get the wrenches out? The thing is it simply makes sense to do it... doesn't it?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1444653408' post='2884756']
No but I have got the shop to take some relief out of the neck (I play with a very light touch) - if they couldn't do it, I would walk away.
[/quote]
If you're buying from a shop, then there is a different expectation that they SHOULD be up-front and honest, and this is a good way to get it checked, but what if it's a Gumtree special in someone's lounge?

I appreciate that maybe some folk simply don't buy on the secondhand, evilbay/Gumtree circuit.

Edited by Grangur

I've asked the shop to tweak the neck...as I was seriously interested in buying. I don't think it is ok to ask otherwise.
They did and told me it was as much as they could do...so I then realised any further action adjustments would only be poss
with a skim. As it happens I haven't gone there yet...

If buying privately, then the choice is either to get the woner to do it..or walk away. I'd tend to walk away.

It depends how much adjustment you can see from the saddles or how the neck looks, tbh.

Truss rod adjustment working is something that think of as a given when buying a bass. I don't even ask the seller if it works as I assume it does. If it doesn't work then it is a serious issue and the bass goes back. But I can't imagine it is that common, really?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1444656051' post='2884800']
In all honesty, it's never occurred to me to check.

My bad, probably.
[/quote]

Don't know. I guess that's the second question; "how often has anyone found they bought a bass where the TR didnt' work?"

Maybe it's simply my own paranoia?

I do now since, a few years ago, I bought a bass that needed the TR adjusted & when I got it home (a long, long way away) I discovered the truss rod adjustment nut was totally reamed - it was also too far to return. In the end I managed to bodge a fix that worked, but I'm more careful now.

G.

If I was the seller then I wouldn't expect the prospective buyer to be messing with my truss rod until he or she had parted with some cash.

I'd be able to say whether the truss rod was working.

If it did turn out that the truss rod was faulty - which is highly unlikely - then I would return the cash and get my bass back.

In over forty years of bass playing I have never come across a broken truss rod. I've heard of them but I have never seen one.

Edited by EssentialTension

I've had two truss rods go faulty.
One on a new shuker that was faulty from new. I can forgive that one because the maker would not of known of the fault until it was adjusted in a set up.
The next was on a very old and battered fender P that had very high action. I got it home and fitted new strings, went to adjust the TR and bang, it snapped and the neck shot across the room in three bits.
The seller refused to give a refund accusing me of damaging it to obtain a refund. Good job it was only £100. I sold the body and hardware and got my money back.

I generally have a little look at the end of it to make sure it's not overly scratched or anything but other than that, no.

On the opposite side of the argument though; how many people would let a prospective buyer mess around with the trust rod before buying it? I know I would not (though I wouldn't be trying to sell a broken one without letting people know anyway).

[quote name='spyder' timestamp='1444661576' post='2884865']
I got it home and fitted new strings, went to adjust the TR and bang, it snapped and the neck shot across the room in three bits.
[/quote]

I've had moments like that involving fixing motorbikes.

Funny in hindsight, but a real heart-sinker at the time.

I bought a bass off the classifieds here and the truss rod was well and truly shagged. I think the seller knew about it but never said anything (he was moving the bass on a few weeks after buying it). That and the fact it was strung with dental floss - I should have seen it coming. Once bitten twice shy. I will always check in the future.

Interesting question now you mention it. I haven't ever asked that question. One bass I did buy on-line I couldn't add any relief in the neck, the nuts were completely loose and the strings were so low as to be unplayable without buzzing. I was advised to get some higher tension strings ,RCocco, and that solved the problem. Great sounding strings but very rough to the touch when new.

Interesting answers, but isn't asking about the function of the TR a bit like asking about a car: "Oh, er, and does the engine work?"

If the answer is "no" then this should be a fundemental declaration in the advert.

Edited by Grangur

I've not asked about this when buying basses but actually I kind of feel I should have. I'll certainly do so in future if in any doubt at all.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1444664016' post='2884885']
Imagine, in a shop, 'Excuse me do you have some tools so I can adjust this truss rod? Just a little tweak.''

I don't think so.
[/quote]

I'd have to disagree - I'd be perfectly fine asking them to demonstrate that it works. I'm sure they would want to do it themselves rather than let me get my paws on it but if they outright refused I'd walk. Same with a private sale - if I was selling a bass and someone asked to check the truss-rod I'd offer to demonstrate it working for them. I'd not let them do it themselves since I'd be worried they could be a 'prize special' and try and doing a 1080 spin on it and bust the neck. But I'd have no issue demoing the rod being moved in order to confirm the bass was in good working order.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1444679653' post='2885081']
Interesting answers, but isn't asking about the function of the TR a bit like asking about a car: "Oh, er, and does the engine work?"
[/quote]

The difference being however, that (I would hope) most car owners would be aware of the importance of their engine and its current state. By contrast, I would imagine quite a lot of bass-players may have only a passing awareness of their truss-rod's purpose and may not have used/tested it in years. It's quite possible that someone could sell you a bass as 'perfect condition' with a busted truss rod because it never even occurred to them to check it was working. Asking directly would at least eliminate the chance of being sold a duff bass due to someone's honest lack of understanding.

As a testament to this, I had the misfortune to try a bass owned by the guitarist in my band a few weeks back. He kindly offered to bring it along to save me carting a bass around town all day. Upon seeing the thing it was clear that the neck would have made a far better boomerang than a musical instrument. It soon came to light that he had no idea what a truss rod even was. He's not a newbie to guitar either - great at playing music but no technical knowledge what-so-ever.

Edited by Naetharu