Why become a member? ×

Music holidays/travelling

JamesBass

Nope, but I always make a point of finding the local music shop/crack converters before I travel & drop in when I start missing my basses too much, pretending to be a genuine customer.

Almost always ends up with three small kids & the missus standing around bored sh1tless thinking 'what happened to the beach?' while dad's whacking away on a Squier :P

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1444673656' post='2885010']
Thinking about going travelling soon, and wondered if anyone on here has ever taken a bass and gone travelling with the intention of discovering music and learning about the local music?
[/quote]

I've always wanted to do this. Travel the US and Southern America, perhaps? Drop me a message about it all. :)

Doing it at the moment! A 'geriatric gap year' with the missus to celebrate retirement; 6 mths in Australasia and 6 in north America.

Had bought a uke bass with the intention of turning up to jams etc but lack of a hard case (Harley Bentons are bigger) meant I opted for a mandolin. My wife plays concertina/sings Irish music so in theory I can accompany her.

I have borrowed a bass for both jams attended so far... May buy a cheap bass in States when major flying is over.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1444700077' post='2885191']
Doing it at the moment! A 'geriatric gap year' with the missus to celebrate retirement; 6 mths in Australasia and 6 in north America.

Had bought a uke bass with the intention of turning up to jams etc but lack of a hard case (Harley Bentons are bigger) meant I opted for a mandolin. My wife plays concertina/sings Irish music so in theory I can accompany her.

I have borrowed a bass for both jams attended so far... May buy a cheap bass in States when major flying is over.
[/quote]
Sounds awesome! How easy have you found it to get involved with music where you have no contacts? My plans are rather a bit bigger than this, I'm planning to work my way from east to west stopping in as many musically rich places as possible!

Chunky I'll PM you this afternoon once home from work!