Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan Precision Fretless??

Linus27

I am a big fan of Fender Japan basses, having a few in my collection but one bass eludes me, a Fender Japan Precision Fretless. Do they actually exist? I've seen lots Fender Japan Jazz Fretless basses for sale but not any Precision Fretless. I'm wondering if my best option is to get a Japanese fretted Precision and get it professionally deforested.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1444683350' post='2885122']
They definitely exist and crop up on eBay occasionally, usually they're 3TS with rosewood board, but occasionally ash body with maple board.
[/quote]

Yes, mine is the 3TS with Rosewood.
I did a pup swap for USA's that's all I've done to mine.
Haven't seen that many advertised, not sure if these were import only? .. or maybe that was the maple boarded ash that Walbassist mentioned.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1444680896' post='2885094']
I am a big fan of Fender Japan basses, having a few in my collection but one bass eludes me, a Fender Japan Precision Fretless. Do they actually exist? I've seen lots Fender Japan Jazz Fretless basses for sale but not any Precision Fretless. I'm wondering if my best option is to get a Japanese fretted Precision and get it professionally deforested.
[/quote]

I'd have thought your best bet is to buy one of the numerous USA Precision FLs on here at the moment, by the time you've paid for an MIJ Precision, and then defretted (and devalued) it, it might be that the USA route will be equally economic.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1444685469' post='2885144']

I'd have thought your best bet is to buy one of the numerous USA Precision FLs on here at the moment, by the time you've paid for an MIJ Precision, and then defretted (and devalued) it, it might be that the USA route will be equally economic.
[/quote]

I may have to do that but I love Jap Fenders and all things Japanese so want to at least try and get one :)

I've had a few over the years and all have been excellent. My current - see avatar - has the body of a PB62FL and the neck of a PB70USFL (sometimes PB70US-84FL - linked to price in Japan) - It's a colour/neck combo I've always wanted.

If you prefer Jazz basses then there is of course the JB62FL.

Best place to try apart from this forum would of course be e-bay, preferably from a seller in Japan - usually great to deal with - read, honest about condition and will pack and ship well.

I got my basses new from Ishibashi - just before they got stopped by Fender from selling new basses. You can get used basses from their "U-box" [url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/[/url]

Nothing fretless there at present but you could fire an e-mail to them - they might have a "contact" that can get one from B)

I always enjoy the hunt - wouldn't mind bagging a PB70US-TL (Phil Lynott) P-Bass - from somewhere tbh - might fire them an e-mail myself.....

Good luck !

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1444770731' post='2885951']
Cheers everyone. I will just keep looking. The two Jap Fenders I currently have I never ever thought I would own, especially one of them so I am hopeful something will turn up :)
[/quote]

1. Don't hold your breath
2. Don't assume that because it's MIJ it's de facto good. As an owner of many fretless basses over the years the reality is that whilst a lot can be done to improve the performance of a poor fretted instrument, it's a lot more problematic with their fretless counterparts. I've owned two MIJ Fender fretless basses, one was glorious, one was awful, no sustain, no bite, no mwah, nada. Changed bridge, PUPs, strings and setup, still nada! Same is of course true of all fretless basses from the budget end up to, dare I say it, Wal (although I think the range of quality at Wal is probably not as great as it is elsewhere). Point I'm making is that if this is some kind of Holy Grail "must have an MIJ Fretless Precision" quest, you probably have a fair chance of being disappointed given how few there are out there. I'd be playing what's for sale on here, or perhaps even better, building up my own (you'd be surprised just how cheap it can be to put together a decent instrument, and perhaps your best bet is an MIJ Precision loaded body and an aftermarket neck?)

Thanks Beedster. The purpose is to just add one to my collection rather than try and get the best fretless MIJ Precision. I have a very limited edition 2013 Fender Japan Jazz 66 Reissue which is the nicest bass I have ever played. It is white with matching headstock, blocks, binding etc. I have always wanted one after seeing them on the Fender Japan website. Never thought I would get one but then a very limited quantity were imported in to the UK (around 50 I think) and so I bought one and couldn't be happier.

I also have a very rare Fender Japan 51' Precision from the early/mid 90's. It's not one of the later reissues from early 2000 that came in sunburst and butterscotch. I first played one when recording an album in 1998 and fell in love with it. They made it in a very pale yellow lemon colour but I never ever saw one. I have been hunting for one in this colour for 17 years and this year one came up for the first time ever and so I bought it. Its pretty beaten up but that is part of the charm and it is amazing.

I already have the most amazing fretless Jazz in the shape of an ESP 66 reissue Jazz as well as a Warwick Streamer Jazzman fretless. I just fancy adding a Fender Jap fretless Precision to my collection. I shall keep looking but I may need to build my own as you suggest.

They do exist, last year I missed out on (read: spent too damn long umm-ing and ahh-ing over) a MIJ Fender precision fretless , PJ configuration in black with tort pickguard. It was all but a Bill Laswell signature bass and I'm still annoyed I didn't get it!

MIJ [i]can[/i] be a bit of a crap shoot at times although the reputable brands are reputable for a reason. Bought a custom ESP guitar second hand a couple of years ago and hands down it is the best guitar I have ever played, so much so that I am now changing out everything I own to 'proper' MIJ ESP stuff. I have a Fender tele that I will probably be shifting to make room for my obsession but it is a beast of an instrument nonetheless.

Re: Ishibashi ubox, I have dealt with them a couple of times and whilst they can take a couple of days to respond I have found them to be on the whole a great company to deal with. They have a pretty rapid turnover of used stock so worth keeping an eye on them. You also have digimart.net which lists adverts for a number of Japanese guitar shops, some of whom ship internationally.