Custom Build Dilemma

donslow

I'll keep this brief as I can

Decided I'm gonna sell all my basses and custom build one

Things I've decided on......
Precision bass it is as that's the one I pick up most
3tsb body in a Matt finish
Pickups
Bridge gotoh 201 (or the 203, the vintagey looking one)
pick guard red tort

The one thing I can't decide on is the neck

I'm torn between the "classic" rosewood and white dot inlays or........

Rosewood with blocks and binding.......

Opinions, not sure where to head with this one

Edited by donslow

Hard call really since it's a pure matter of personal taste. I'm keen on the block & binding look for the most part - it just looks a bit more classy and finished to my eyes. I find this especially true with sun-burst and natural finish basses.

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing your finished bass soon!

At the risk of sounding a little controversial, If your ultimate bass is a P bass I wouldn't bother going custom unless you wanted an otherwise unavailable colour combo. I think you'd be paying a premium for a bass you could easily buy off the shelf.

Having said that it's your money and you don't have to justify it, just buy what you want :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444718074' post='2885216']
At the risk of sounding a little controversial, If your ultimate bass is a P bass I wouldn't bother going custom unless you wanted an otherwise unavailable colour combo. I think you'd be paying a premium for a bass you could easily buy off the shelf.

Having said that it's your money and you don't have to justify it, just buy what you want :)
[/quote]
It's a fair point, maybe I've been a little misleading when I say custom, what I really meant is, buy a body (think I already own the one I'm gonna use on one of my existing basses) buy a neck, buy hardware, throw it all together, not EXACTLY custom but still works out that I'll pretty much get what I want!

Just can't decide what neck "finish" to go for

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1444721199' post='2885239']
It's a fair point, maybe I've been a little misleading when I say custom, what I really meant is, buy a body (think I already own the one I'm gonna use on one of my existing basses) buy a neck, buy hardware, throw it all together, not EXACTLY custom but still works out that I'll pretty much get what I want!

Just can't decide what neck "finish" to go for
[/quote]

Well that makes perfect sense... I thought you we're talking about having the whole thing built from scratch.

There is another thread where a guy had a bass collection P bass built. He specified colour, neck wood, picups etc. and I seem to remember it was very resonably priced. Not sure how much control he had over the inlays etc though.

I totally get the buying various bits and putting it together yourself thing though... it'd be like you've created a bass from nothing.

Edited by CamdenRob