Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash, Saturday 27th September: WORKSHOPS

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

Here's the details for the Workshops that'll be taking place at the SE Bash later this month. As you know, it's taking place here:

HOLIDAY INN
Clandon Suite 1 & 2
EGERTON ROAD
GUILDFORD, GU2 7XZ
ENGLAND

on [b]Saturday 27th September[/b], starting at [b]10am[/b], finishing at [b]5.30pm[/b] (though we have the room until 6pm).

[b]Cost: £10.00.[/b] Any profits raised will be split between (i) Basschat and (ii) the disability charity I work for, which is The Enable Me Project (www.enableme.org.uk).

Here's a quick outline of the workshops planned for the day, though exact workshop times may be subject to change as I'm still waiting for everyone concerned to get back to me to confirm their times. These will all be taking place in [b]Room 2[/b], which is smaller than the main room..

[u][b]Workshop 1: Joe White of Joe White Guitars[/b] (http://www.jwhite-guitarworkshops.co.uk/) [/u]
Joe is a [b]luthier[/b] and will be doing a talk on what he calls [b]'the black art of being a luthier'[/b]. Joe has earned a great reputation for his work and our very own OBBM has used his services and rates them highly, which is good enough for me!

Joe has offered to do [b]set-ups on the day[/b] for Basschatters at a discounted rate of [b]£50.00[/b] (as opposed to his normal charge of £80.00), but you will need to [b]bring your own strings with you[/b]. Thanks to Stingrayfan for the suggestion of having someone like Joe on the day!

[u][b]Workshop 2: Adrian Ashton, Editor of Bass Guitar Magazine[/b][/u]
Adrian has kindly offered to come and do a [b]Q&A session[/b] with us on the day and will also bring some of his [b]unique bass gear[/b] with him as well! Adrian is happy to talk about the kind of i[b]nterviews[/b] he has done and what it's like running [b]BGM[/b]! Should be fascinating

As well as all that, Adrian is bringing some [b]back copies of BGM [/b]to sell, proceeds of which will go towards the pot of money raised on the day. so if you want [b]any particular back copies,[/b] post them up here so Adrian can see what is required! Thanks to OBBM for help with this.

[u][b]Workshop 3: John East[/b][/u]
I hardly need to introduce John I would have thought, but for those of you who haven't heard of him and his amazing [b]East pre-amps[/b], [b]J-Retro[/b] etc, etc - where have you been?? :huh:

We are very lucky because John is going to talk about his [b]different products[/b] and in particular, demonstrate his new [b]filter-based pre-amp[/b] that [b]Stanley Clarke[/b] is going to be using! As a fan of Wal basses, I am really looking forward to this! Again, thanks to OBBM for being 'the go-between'!

[u][b]Workshop 4: Alex Claber[/b][/u]
I have managed to 'gently persuade' Alex to talk us through the murky scientific world of [b]'acoustics'[/b] and [b]'speaker design' [/b]and I'm really pleased he's taken up the challenge! He'll be bringing his [b]self-built cabs[/b] to demonstrate and it would be good to hear suggestions of what other cabs it might be good to compare them to??

Personally, I have always been amazed at the [b]knowledge[/b] that we have available to us here on Basschat from other members and what's so stunning is that it's offered for FREE!! I've read many of Alex's posts on this subject and what with the many Basschatters using [b]BFM cabs[/b] and building their own, it seems to me that this is a subject we could all do with knowing more about!

[u]Rough[b] times[/b] are:[/u]
10.30-11.45 Joe White
12.00-13.00 Adrian Ashton
13.15.14.00 John East
14.15-15.00 Alex Claber
15.00-16.00 Joe White

Joe will also be available to do [b]set-ups throughout the day[/b] aside from his two sessions in Room 2, should people want them. Lastly, a couple of other things;

1) If you have any [b]questions that you'd like to ask[/b] any of the people holding the Workshops, please could you [b]PM them to me[/b] and I'll bring along a list of them all on the day - that way, we can always keep the sessions moving if there's any quiet moments when the questions dry up..
2) Whist I'm away next week, [b]Merton[/b] & [b]WalMan[/b] will be around to field any questions and just to say, they have been brilliant in helping make this happen!
3) Also, if anyone else would like to [b]help on the day[/b] or has [b]any suggestions [/b]to improve things, please let us know.. Thanks!

Sorry for such a long post and I hope it all makes sense... but I wanted to get everyone thinking in advance about what they would like to do with their time on the day! The people who've offered their time to do the Workshops have also been brilliant and [b]thanks[/b] to them for offering, but it's all about [b]YOU[/b] at the end of the day, so please come along and help make it totally, wonderfully, brilliant! :)

Cheers

Nik

[quote name='johnnylager' post='280849' date='Sep 10 2008, 07:54 AM']Bernie Goodfellow of [url="http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/"]GB Guitars[/url] in Brighton will also be attending the bash and bringing (I believe) a selection of EBS amplification, KSD & GB guitars to demo. More details to follow when fully confirmed.[/quote]

Confirmed - he's going to be there. I spoke to him last night and basschat bashes was one of the things we talked about.

I have copied the first post over to the SITE NEWS section so it will show on the RSS feeds and at the top of the main forum index. I am not sure if pinning this or any of the SE bash threads is advisable though because I think that makes them actually less visible and I don't think the thread will slip down very far.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='281339' date='Sep 10 2008, 07:22 PM']I have copied the first post over to the SITE NEWS section so it will show on the RSS feeds and at the top of the main forum index. I am not sure if pinning this or any of the SE bash threads is advisable though because I think that makes them actually less visible and I don't think the thread will slip down very far.

Cheers
ped[/quote]
Thanks Ped, though I agree that pinning it will make it less visible...

Anyway, back from sunny Spain now and I have some news to update on the workshops about our speakers which I'm going to do in another post...

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='284726' date='Sep 16 2008, 07:54 AM']Thanks Ped, though I agree that pinning it will make it less visible...

Anyway, back from sunny Spain now and I have some news to update on the workshops about our speakers which I'm going to do in another post...

Nik[/quote]

well, stop writing about writin these updates and bloody get on with writing 'em!!

Welcome back, how was spain? :)

Back from sunny Spain now and as the Bash is fast approaching, here's some [b]info[/b] about our guest speakers who are leading the [b]Workshops[/b]:

[b]1. Joe White:[/b]
"I have been a luthier for nearly 30 years, making and repairing guitars. I started making electric guitars and then went on to acoustics. I make all types of mandolins, arch tops, 8,10 and 12 string guitars and even exotic ones like the Cuban Tres. Then there is always the bass player that wants something different. I literally cover every aspect of guitar making.

There is a difference between a luthier and a guitar maker. Any 14 year old can make a guitar but that does not make him a luthier. A luthier will tune the wood to pitch which is something special. I love what I do, it is a passion with me. All those who have met or know me will know this.

I have people that knock my door asking to look around my workshop, so I show them what I do and basically how a guitar is made. I always make time for people. Customers include members of Status Quo, Pink Floyd, Bill Wyman's Blues Band, Thin Lizzies ex guitarist Snowy White, Paul Geary (who has been bass player for Kylie Monogue, George Michael and Charlotte Church) etc.

The pro set-up that I will be doing at the show normally costs £80.00 but I will be doing it for £50.00 for that day.The guitar will be set up for the customer and not the man at the bus stop."

[b]2. Adrian Ashton: [/b]
[i]My Bass Background[/i]
I’ve been playing for about 25 plus years, my playing benefiting greatly after graduating from BIT in LA in 1992 where my tutors included Gary Willis, Alexis Sklarevski and Steve Bailey. I have worked as a journalist for 10 + years writing for Bass Player and Bassist until 2002 when after a lengthy absence of UK magazines I took the plunge to launch my own bass mag, Bass Guitar Magazine. We’re just hitting our 40th issue now and so I’ve acted as owner, consultant (after selling the title) and editor - a job I recently returned to on a freelance basis.

In 2006 I wrote a book for Backbeat Publishing ‘The Bass Handbook’ and quite possibly another title will follow in 2009 (maybe members can tell me what they want to hear about!).

Gear over the years – 66, 73, 78, and 79 Jazz, Music Man StingRays 77 and 78, 66 Hofner Violin bass, 66 Gibson EB-3, Manson custom J and custom 5-string through neck, Washburn Bootsy Collins Signature Star Bass, 70s Precision, Pedulla Buzz, 74 Rickenbacker 4001, Gibson Ripper, Aria SB-600, big bunch of effects and Ampeg SVT Classic VR through AccuGroove is current rig but I also have an Eden Traveller and early SM-300 Trace Elliot Head. I thought I’d bring maybe 2 or 3 basses?

[b]3. Alex Claber:[/b]
This is taken from Alex's [b]own thread [/b]about his workshop [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27338"]here[/url]:

[i]"As I'm sure you could guess I can probably ramble on endlessly about these subjects, so in the interest of interest could y'all let me know what you'd like me to witter on about!

Alex

P.S. I realise this could be like asking a layman what specific areas of quantum physics they'd like to learn about but I'm hoping it might elicit some useful responses... "[/i]

If anyone has any [b]questions[/b] about anything to do with any of the Workshops, including [b]any questions in advance[/b] for the speakers, please let me know. Also, if people would like Joe to do any [b]set-ups[/b] for them, it'd be useful for him to get an idea of potential numbers in advance?

Thanks...

Nik

UPDATED with John East's info:

Back from sunny Spain now and as the Bash is fast approaching, here's some [b]info[/b] about our guest speakers who are leading the [b]Workshops[/b]:

[b]1. Joe White:[/b]
"I have been a luthier for nearly 30 years, making and repairing guitars. I started making electric guitars and then went on to acoustics. I make all types of mandolins, arch tops, 8,10 and 12 string guitars and even exotic ones like the Cuban Tres. Then there is always the bass player that wants something different. I literally cover every aspect of guitar making.

There is a difference between a luthier and a guitar maker. Any 14 year old can make a guitar but that does not make him a luthier. A luthier will tune the wood to pitch which is something special. I love what I do, it is a passion with me. All those who have met or know me will know this.

I have people that knock my door asking to look around my workshop, so I show them what I do and basically how a guitar is made. I always make time for people. Customers include members of Status Quo, Pink Floyd, Bill Wyman's Blues Band, Thin Lizzies ex guitarist Snowy White, Paul Geary (who has been bass player for Kylie Monogue, George Michael and Charlotte Church) etc.

The pro set-up that I will be doing at the show normally costs £80.00 but I will be doing it for £50.00 for that day.The guitar will be set up for the customer and not the man at the bus stop."

[b]2. Adrian Ashton: [/b]
[i]My Bass Background[/i]
I’ve been playing for about 25 plus years, my playing benefiting greatly after graduating from BIT in LA in 1992 where my tutors included Gary Willis, Alexis Sklarevski and Steve Bailey. I have worked as a journalist for 10 + years writing for Bass Player and Bassist until 2002 when after a lengthy absence of UK magazines I took the plunge to launch my own bass mag, Bass Guitar Magazine. We’re just hitting our 40th issue now and so I’ve acted as owner, consultant (after selling the title) and editor - a job I recently returned to on a freelance basis.

In 2006 I wrote a book for Backbeat Publishing ‘The Bass Handbook’ and quite possibly another title will follow in 2009 (maybe members can tell me what they want to hear about!).

Gear over the years – 66, 73, 78, and 79 Jazz, Music Man StingRays 77 and 78, 66 Hofner Violin bass, 66 Gibson EB-3, Manson custom J and custom 5-string through neck, Washburn Bootsy Collins Signature Star Bass, 70s Precision, Pedulla Buzz, 74 Rickenbacker 4001, Gibson Ripper, Aria SB-600, big bunch of effects and Ampeg SVT Classic VR through AccuGroove is current rig but I also have an Eden Traveller and early SM-300 Trace Elliot Head. I thought I’d bring maybe 2 or 3 basses?

[b]3. Alex Claber:[/b]
This is taken from Alex's [b]own thread [/b]about his workshop [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27338"]here[/url]:

[i]"As I'm sure you could guess I can probably ramble on endlessly about these subjects, so in the interest of interest could y'all let me know what you'd like me to witter on about!

Alex

P.S. I realise this could be like asking a layman what specific areas of quantum physics they'd like to learn about but I'm hoping it might elicit some useful responses... "[/i]

[b]4. John East:[/b]

Brief history:

Started to play bass at the age 14-15. Played around with valves during teens, converting old valve radios to guitar amps for friends. Educated at art school keeping electronics and bass in the background. Played bass for a living in mid 20s moving over to pro audio design for most of working life, before going full time on the bass electronics, around 3 years ago. Have a great deal of experience in high end pro audio mixing console design, and that mind-set is still used within the East UK bass preamp designs.

[b]Bass Bash Presentation[/b]

Illustrate and demonstrate the differences between the more conventional EQ systems and what are called filter-based types, such as the ACG. This will include some brief technical background in order to help illustrate how sounds relate to the technical aspects, but with the emphasis on the practical side.

A few users of products designed by East:

UK
* Neil Murray (We Will Rock You show)
* Steve Lawson
* Phil Mulford (X-Factor & Britain's Got Talent)

USA
* Stanley Clarke
* Richard Bona
* Justin Meldal-Johnsen
* Dwayne Smittly Smith
* Mel Brown

If anyone has any [b]questions[/b] about anything to do with any of the Workshops, including [b]any questions in advance[/b] for the speakers, please let me know. Also, if people would like Joe to do any [b]set-ups[/b] for them, it'd be useful for him to get an idea of potential numbers in advance?

Thanks...

Nik

Hi Folks,

Less than a week to go now guys! :)

Please can anyone who's interested in having a set-up done on the day by Joe White let me know here, as I'd hate it for Joe to be available all day and him only have 2 set-ups to do - those currently being one for stingrayfan and one for me?

And if there's any other questions or anything concerning any of the Workshops, please post them up here.. I know the old saying is that 'silence is glden' but I'm getting worried because no-one has made any comments about the Workshops..

Is there something wrong??

Should also have some news on Benie Goodfellow's involvement as well by tomorrow....

As you can tell, this is an [i]'early Monday morning with less than a week to go, getting nervous' [/i]kind of BUMP! :huh:

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='288925' date='Sep 22 2008, 08:02 AM']Hi Folks,

Less than a week to go now guys! :)

Please can anyone who's interested in having a set-up done on the day by Joe White let me know here, as I'd hate it for Joe to be available all day and him only have 2 set-ups to do - those currently being one for stingrayfan and one for me?

And if there's any other questions or anything concerning any of the Workshops, please post them up here.. I know the old saying is that 'silence is glden' but I'm getting worried because no-one has made any comments about the Workshops..

Is there something wrong??

Should also have some news on Benie Goodfellow's involvement as well by tomorrow....

As you can tell, this is an [i]'early Monday morning with less than a week to go, getting nervous' [/i]kind of BUMP! :huh:

Nik[/quote]

I think everyone's just tryin to work out their schedule so they can get to all the workshops AND have a noodle on everyones kit AND have a pint AND some food! :huh:

o yeah, will there be a resteraunt in the venue?

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='288939' date='Sep 22 2008, 08:25 AM']I think everyone's just tryin to work out their schedule so they can get to all the workshops AND have a noodle on everyones kit AND have a pint AND some food! :)

o yeah, will there be a resteraunt in the venue?[/quote]

Cheers Phil - you're probably 100% spot-on. I'm just getting a bit twitchy now.. AFAIK, there's food and drink available but merton will clarify that I'm sure.

See you there!

Nik

[quote name='Merton' post='289000' date='Sep 22 2008, 10:23 AM']The Holiday Inn does indeed have a bar with bar snacks, so they told me anyway...

Looking forward ot this, it's gonna rock! Thanks to Nik for being the head honcho iwithout whom it would have never happened :)[/quote]
Cheers Merton, but this has been a real team effort so far so I can't take any credit other than for being foolish enough to suggest we have another SE Bash in the first place :huh:

By the way, I've just had confirmation that Bernie Goodfellow is coming up on Saturday with some fabulous basses and some EBS Rigs, which is great news! Bernie's kindly going to donate something to the Raffle as well :huh:

I'm going to look at the Worskhops schedule later to see if we can give Bernie a space to demonstrate some of his basses/rigs on the day as well as him being set-up in the main room..

Edited by silverfoxnik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='289183' date='Sep 22 2008, 02:24 PM']I'm going to look at the Worskhops schedule later to see if we can give Bernie a space to demonstrate some of his basses/rigs on the day as well as him being set-up in the main room..[/quote]

Should be good! Lots of cool bass noises... and lots of jokes.

Edited by EBS_freak

I'm thinking of coming down tomorrow... I have some stuff up for sale on here, would it be considered bad form to bring it with me in case anyone fancies any of it?

Being a 450 mile round trip it would be handy to offset the travelling costs if anyone bought any of it.