Why become a member? ×

1962 Fender Jazz bass 'Pre cbs'

ro1798

Hi Guys, I have been advised to join up and share my dads bass that we were looking to verify as a genuine pre cbs model.
Seems its legit and I thought would share some pics of it.

Bought in1964 in dublin, was a working bass all is life, was refinished before my dad got it.

Edited by ro1798

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1444756154' post='2885679']
Taking the neck off will be the true test. Should have small date stamp on the body socket, and big stamp on the neck end, e.g. 7NOV62A. Also good to check that the solder under the pickups and control panel is original.[/quote]

It's a slab board, so the neck date will be earlier than November '62. Along with the serial number, my guess would be mid-year at the latest, but it's not an exact science, of course. Handwritten if it's pre-March, after that stamped.

Not all bodies were dated. If they were, you'd find a (handwritten) date in one of the pickup cavities. However, refin or not, this finish looks like Olympic White - hence opaque, meaning you're unlikely to see a date through the finish either way.

But you're right, more pics, with higher resolution, would help. Neck date, neck pocket, neck heel. Also pots, control cavity and bridge. Plus pickups and body under the guard but removing the old guards can be tricky due to shrinkage.

Are the mutes still present?