Why become a member? ×

Single Cut Camphor and Alder PJ

Andyjr1515

Hi

Just agreed a spec and design for a new build for our very own FuNkShUi for a single cut 4 string. It's a build I'm really, really excited about :D

We kicked around a number of design ideas and have firmed up on this:

The design has a passing nod to a jag, but I think sufficiently different to have its own look.

The back will be alder, and the top a beautiful piece of camphor I have been saving for a very special project such as this. Ignore Kirk's (exotichardwoodsukltd) stratocaster outline, but isn't this a lovely bit of timber?:

The camphor will be planed down to expose the alder at the arm relief and the two woods will be separated by a couple of mm of black constructional veneer.

Colour-wise, the alder and camphor will contrast similar to this below, but with the thin black demarcation between the two (and clearly, a nice thick cap rather than veneer in this photo):

The thru-neck will be mahogany with a central walnut splice and ebony fretboard, pickup covers, and knobs.

The body will be chambered to keep down the weight but it should balance just fine with the front strap button at the 13th fret. Huge amounts of upper fret access will be available with the lower bout meeting at the 22nd fret.

Other bits and bobs: Hipshot drop D tuning; SD 2band EQ with passive p/ups; luminlay side markers; headstock to whatever shape FuNkShUi wants within the constraints of the required geometry.

This will probably be another long drawn-out Andyjr1515 [s]boring[/s] epic thread, but .... what the heck :P

:lol:
Andy

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1444757966' post='2885707']
very Alpher esque top horn
[/quote]
I was concerned it might be a bit too jaguaresque (in fact, look left ... my avatar!). I'm quite chuffed if it's Alpheresque...they are stunning basses :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1444763241' post='2885780']
For those who don't know about the quality of Andy's work he remodelled the headstock on one of my basses - great job - if mine is anything to go by FuNkShUi will definitely be more than satisfied...
[/quote]
Thanks, Mick :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1444835694' post='2886536']

Thanks, Norris :) How's the ink-staining going?
[/quote]

Nowhere near that stage yet. I'm still preparing the body parts. Back piece is rough cut and nearly ready for routing the chambers. Still got to flatten the flamed maple top.

If you're interested I'm doing a build thread on ProjectGuitar.com (it's not a bass! :))

Edit: It's slow going though - I only get so much time to spend on it, and often have to wait for my weekly night class for access to certain tools :)

Edited by Norris

IMPORTANT!
I've contacted both FuNkShUi and Chris at Alpher and this build is temporarily halted.

I was stunned when I saw Chris's post. I confess, I've never visited Alpher's fantastic website before and now wish I had :rolleyes: The Home page show's a bass with 'my' horn design on it!!!!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]When FuNkShUi contacted me ref a single cut, I looked on Google Images and came to the conclusion that single cuts were either: Les-Paul ish, Jaguar ish, or odd ish. I plumbed for Jaguar-ish as I like the general shape and also have a Jaguar bass myself that I love the look of (it's my Avatar). When I look on 'images' again, I see there is an Alpher there but a different shaped horn to the one I drew. To be honest, I basically took my Jag and tried to make it less of a double-cut![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I hate the idea of stealing people's designs - I love stealing good ideas, but not designs! This one is unintentionally much too close to some of Chris's. When I was sketching, I had a few other variants before plumbing for the one above. I will revisit those and bounce the alternative off Chris before firming up on it.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Andy[/font][/color]

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1444909467' post='2887192']
See where your coming from Andy but it's hard ( nae impossible) to design something that doesn't at least have a hint of something else.Indeed you could say that the Alphers bear a passing nod to a Jag etc etc etc.

Ian
[/quote]
It's really no problem.

Chris, me and FuNkShUi are all completely cool with it and are of completely like minds:[list]
[*]I'm a hobbyist. I simply get a kick out of creating something that is mine...variation on a theme or not. So I actually DON'T want the exact same shape as someone else's
[*]Chris I'm sure feels the same but also his company's products compete on design flair...much else (cost of wood, production, hardware, etc) is equal and available to all manufacturers
[*]FuNkShUi doesn't want a clone. He wants something unique. My builds usually are - sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a bad way :lol:
[/list]
In terms of concept, I still will be going jag theme, but hopefully with a bit of AJR uniqueness thrown in :D

What is very encouraging is that I came up with a shape that is as good as an Alpher (I mean...if you're going to get close, that's a great one to get close to). The only bugger about it is that Chris got there a couple of years earlier :lol:

Anyway, folks, I suggest end of this debate .... the revised design will be along very shortly :)

Andy

OK - back on track!

Version 2 ... FuNkShUi and I kicked around a number of variations, but came back to a style that he had cited a number of times originally as a definite possibility. It's quite different to Version 1 and Chris at Alpher is also happy with it, so - unless it is an absolute copy of someone else's (variations on a theme not included in that proviso) - we are proud to present :

I have just received some really nice alder for the back. Even though it will be split by the thru-neck, I have opted for a single piece of alder that I will then cut into two. That way I can guarantee the same shade and grain characteristics.

So, ladies and gentlemen, it looks like we have a live project B)

Andy

Looks cool! Makes me think Beluga whale. :P

Obviously not my bass, but I would say that right where the top horn meets the edge of the neck, I feel like the line could be curved back just a little bit, to point straight at where the bottom horn meets the neck? Although, this could well enter more realms of accidentally imitating someone's design!

What are your plans for the neck heel?