Why become a member? ×

Fender P-Bass pups - tone difference 'original' v custom shop etc

Twigman

Fender seem to nowadays have a variety of preceision pickups available.
They all look the same.
They have vastly varying prices.

The 'Original' and the 'Custom Shop 62' both have an DC resistance of 10.5kOhm....
I'd expect them to sound very similar yet many suggest they prefer the CS62 to the 'Original'...is there a placebo effect going on here?
What are the differences?

The 'pure vintage 58' has a DC resistance of 10.4kOhm - is this going to be much different? - It has the raised A pole pieces for 'period authenticity' i suppose.

The 'Pure Vintage 63' has 12.0kOhm so i assume this is a hotter output.

How different do they sound from each other?

Edited by Twigman

I`ve had the Originals and currently have the CS 62s Ian. I`ve found that the Originals are more mid-biased, the term "woody" has been used to describe these and it`s quite accurate imo. They`re not lacking lows but with everything set flat, upper mids is what these are about. The CS 62s I find to be very well balanced across the tonal range, no particular peaks or troughs, just a really nice rich Precision tone. I prefer the CS 62s.

I find the thinking that types of pick-up models are all the same quite odd... they'll have a bias which can be controlled to a degree but depends on the QC and how they are made. The variables will be in how the bass is made and what the wood sounds/resonates like.

One of those things where you can get good opnions on how a certain type works for people who have tried them... but you are really going to
have to stick them in and fire them up to know if they work for you. my 2p.

What I mean is.....I have 'Original's in 3 of my basses.
I've got my hands on a new CS62.

If I swap the pickup out in one of the basses will I notice a difference between the two, given it's the same bass?
Is it worth the effort ? (complicated by the fact that i would have to desolder the pickup from the brass plate and resolder to the cut down brass plate in the bass I want to try this in as the chosen bass does not have a pickguard and so has closer fitting rout that doesn't take the full size fender plate).
Or should I just save the CS62 for my next build?

Edited by Twigman