Why become a member? ×

Wal - Honestly, What's The Fuss?!?!?!

DavidMcKay

Honestly - you can't spend 10 minutes on the Basses For Sale forum without someone posting an update about the latest Wal for sale and how the guitar is a 'stunning masterpiece', 'gorgeous beyond belief', and 'why did I ever sell my own one years ago?!?!' (Hint - you probably sold it because it wasn't worth keeping, or else you would still have it).

'Oh - but the intonation, the Wal growl, the tone - it is sublime!'. Eh..... this is a bit like full HD or 4K TV. Most mere mortals don't have the eyesight to discern the difference - and I would argue most listeners to Wal don't 'get' the nuances either.

I also believe there is a 2 year waiting list for these (rolls eyes to ceiling). Seriously! Really! If you have too much money burning a great big hole in your pocket then go buy a couple of iWatches or something.

Every - and I mean every - photo of a Wal that I have seen looks like an over-varnished by-product from a Prison Workshop. Bits of wood glued together (helps if the woods don't match - I think it is called [i]character[/i])), put in a vice, sanded and then varnished with a Bill Posters brush - multiple times. Not just the ones from the 80's - but the new ones as well!

And don't get me started on Mick Karn and how he was the master of the fretless Wal. All Mick Karn ever did was play [u]as [/u]Mick Karn on the fretless Wal. Even where he was guesting as part of a 'super group' type of set up for the Princes Trust or whatever - he still sounded like Mick Karn [u]being [/u]Mick Karn playing a fretless [u]like[/u] Mick Karn. That's not a signature tune or sound - that is someone who was incapable of playing any other way.

I will never be able to play like Mick Karn, I will never have enough money to own a Wal, and I will never feel about the Wal bass the way some of you do. But I am OK with that.

Wal-lovers. I'm calling you out. Let's have some grown up critique (ooh - get me, after said rant above!) about the pros and cons of the Wal and not some knee-jerk fanboy reaction everytime someone posts an image or a for sale post. Honestly - if you want a Wal. Dip your bass in Cuprinol repeatedly for 8 weeks and you'll be there ;)

Thoughts?........

Edited by DavidMcKay

Hi EssentialTension

I 'get' the unique look, feel ,character, draw and appeal of things like the Alessi Juicy Salif Citrus Squeezer, the postmodern classic chaise lounge, and other classic icons of that ilk - but I think the Wal bass is a bit of an Emperor's Clothes type of situation. I appreciate that taste is personal but I can't believe they command such reverence or such an asking price.

I have never heard a bad word about or against Wal basses - and that makes me ultra suspicious!

Kind regards!

Mac

Ah - I was wondering when someone would use the term Troll!

Kind of word that seeks to nullify any critique via an ad hominem statement.

Bit like calling someone a racist because the conversation makes you feel uncomfortable so you say what you can to nip it in the bud!

Not that I am saying that is your intention. Simply an observation!

Kind regards,

Mac

Mmmmmmm. Just found these:

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]1: Great bass tone{subjective of course}..wouldnt consider them the best quality..plenty of warping issues..and extremely overpriced[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]2: you can buy a secondhand wal tommorow..it will just cost you a bit ....and ultimately the electrics will puke and you will have one heavy passive bass that sounds like any other!![/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]go for it.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Perhaps I was wrong?........[/font][/color]

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1444758421' post='2885713']
Ah - I was wondering when someone would use the term Troll!

Kind of word that seeks to nullify any critique via an ad hominem statement.

Bit like calling someone a racist because the conversation makes you feel uncomfortable so you say what you can to nip it in the bud!

Not that I am saying that is your intention. Simply an observation!

Kind regards,

Mac
[/quote]

Don't like troll? OK, you're a stirrer then. That any better? :)

I'm with the OP on this - played one back in the 80s - very impressed ([i]maybe because it was boutique and way out of my price range[/i]) but when I finally got to own one (two actually) I realised that it really wasn't my Cappuccino - heavy ([i]anybody own one that was under 10LBs?[/i]) and the contour on the lower part of the body dug into my leg when I played it sitting down. I also couldn't get on with the neck profile.

I traded it with Nick Smith (Doctor of the Bass) who made it sound better than I ever could within minutes of picking it up....

When looking at boutique basses I rate my ACG Harlot SC (definitely NOT for sale) and my Ritter Cora (for sale only because I have far too many great basses) far higher than the Wal - both lighter, easier to play and also have their own "unique" tone palette.

I'm not going to convince your "dyed in the wool" Wal fans but each to his own I suppose ...

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1444759250' post='2885726']
I've never actually had a go on a Wal.
[/quote]

Neither have I. Not only that, I have never seen one in the flesh.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1444759250' post='2885726']
Are they any good?
[/quote]

Yes, they are the best thing ever, stunning masterpiece, gorgeous beyond belief.

I bought one a few years ago for £950... Traded it in 2012 for a bass at Bass Direct with a value of £2700. Bass Direct then sold it pretty quickly for about £3500. In my very humble and unqualified opinion, it was heavy..... had chronic neck dive....looked home made, and had a horrible neck profile... I used it maybe a dozen times, (and only because I felt I had to,) but soon gave up on it as it just did nothing for me either sound wise, or as an enjoyable playing experience... Without doubt, one of the worst basses I ever owned, but made a packet on it on the resale...Huzzah...