Why become a member? ×

Total Newbie needing some basic advice on upright/double bass

Naetharu

Hi folks,

So I find myself in unknown territory again. An off the cuff conversation at band practice last night resulted in the mention that the band had always wished they could have some bowed bass parts in various songs. I'm actually really keen on trying this both because I think it would be great for the music and as something fun to learn for myself.

So, if I'm to go ahead with this I'm going to need an upright bass of some kind and I have no idea where to start - I know about as much about upright/double basses as I do about mute-trumpets - which is to say I think they can sound awesome but beyond that it's all a blank :unsure:

A few points to keep in mind for me would be:

(1) I would still need to bring my electric basses to practice/gigs for the most part so size is a serious issue - also I live in a very rural area and so I have to travel to practice/gigs via a small car (Ford Focus) and so again, I need to be sure that what I get will squeeze in there along with a couple of electric basses, a couple of 112 cabs and some other junk.

(2) I'm going to be using the bass mainly for playing with a bow. I have no idea if/how much this might impact on my choice of instrument/set-up etc.

(3) I need to be able to practice in my flat, which means keeping the peace with my neighbors on all sides. Therefore, something that is quiet without amplification would be good. It does not have to be silent but I'm not going to be winning any popularity contests around here if I start making noises like Barry White doing a violin impression at 8am in the morning.

(4) I don't know much about amplification and so any advice about this side of things would be really handy too.

(5) Finally, while tone etc. is nice It's for playing at prog-rock gigs so I'm not too fussed about having a beautiful sound so much as simply something that gets the job done for the time being.

Any help/advice/warnings/etc. would be much appreciated

All the best

James

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444916960' post='2887313']
it will be quite an undertaking to learn an entirely new instrument!
[/quote]

Aye, though to be honest it's something I would love to do for myself anyhow. I'm just daunted as to where to start. I'd not considered a cello, but I'm not quite sure that is the sound I am after (I'm really looking for nice deep bowed notes).

Perhaps I should just get a bigger car? :ph34r:

There's a few different questions to be answered here, but I've been in a similar position, not necessarily by needing to play arco on a DB for band stuff, however, after joining this good forum and asking my own questions 3 years ago I bought myself a second hand DB.

I wish I'd done it 10 or more years previously and that's my only regret. My question was whether to go for EUB or DB. I had similar logistical problems, especially for gigging, and all roads led to EUB from an efficiency POV. The one question that made me change my mind was 'what sound do you really want?' So I bought a Fullt carved DB, which I've recently upgraded for a more serious model! I also bought an Eminence EUB after 18 months or so do playing for ease of travel, practising in hotel rooms and ease of occasional gigging. A Yamaha SB 100 or SB 200 would also be a good choice for arco (amplified)

You can here an Eminence being played arco here:

http://youtu.be/QqtOOpir9vQ

It will take you a while to get proficient with a bow (it's an ongoing process) and I would recommend lessons and study. Amplification is a question that can be dependent upon what you decide to buy etc. However if you want to learn something new and possibly addictive a DB/EUB will take time to learn and the sooner you start...

Edited by philparker

The trouble with double bass is that it doesn't really want to be an add-on to anything. All in all, taking it up is pretty major commitment in time, pain and money. All hugely worthwhile, but there's nothing quick or convenient about any of it. Just buying one can take ages of research.

The EUB suggestion is a very good one if what you want is a taster and to make rapid progress. It's also pretty well the only way of practicing arco quietly and solves the transport problem too. If i had neighbours nearby, I'd quit bowing altogether out of pure shame.

I 100% agree with Fatback's post above. If you are prepared to make a serious commitment to practice then get your self an EUB and a bow. If money is tight you could start with a cheap and cheerful Harley Benton EUB (there is currently one on Ebay with a starting price of 100 quid). I can fit mine in the back of a Fiat Panda. If you are prepared to spend then the Yamaha SBs have a great reputation. Or if you want a compact acoustic DB, and you are prepared to spend, you could try the David Gage 'Czech Ease' one that Marc S has up for sale on the EUB forum (I'm not on commission).

Go for it, it's great fun!

It sounds to me like your needs can be met easily with a solid body EUB. They're durable, easy to transport and you can use whatever amplification you're using now, although some may require an outboard preamp.

There are several available with 34" scale lengths which will be immediately familiar, but will not sound as good playing arco and the tension will be a bit floppy. I suggest going with a full scale EUB if arco is your main goal.

Arco, as others have pointed out, is a major undertaking. I absolutely suck at it. My neighbor is in his early eighties and has been a full-time orchestral bassist and teacher for his entire adult life. I once mentioned to him that I needed to get my arco playing in order. He said: "Yeah, tell me about it. You and me both!"