92 replies to this topic

#31 Qlank

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Photography. Booze. Prog.

Posted 27 October 2015 - 07:39 PM

XL's for me. Perfect for getting lots of middy growl.
Used to swear by Picato but they just lost something for me. Shame really as Picato make their strings just up the road from me.
the XL's are on the bass in my sig there.

#32 doctorbass

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

I really like nickel EXL 160's (105 - 50) on my 78 Precision.

#33 Delberthot

Ka Kaw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

Been using them for years. Mainly going between EXL-165s and EXB83s.

The EXLs are about as close as I've been able to get a roundwound string to feel like a flatwound.

I did briefly change them from the 165-5s to Elixir stainless 45s on the BB1025. A few slides up and down the neck and I thought I had sliced my finger open they are so rough. Plus the tension is a lot higher as well making fretting the notes really difficult. So they're off and back in the packet after one gig never to be used again.

As of today I've put on a set of ECB80s Chromes 45, 65, 75, 95 and a 132 B which I had do buy separately as they only do 5 string Chromes in 45s. A lot lighter than I am used to but they feel really nice and I'm looking forward to being able to play a bit closer to the bridge like I used to.

The BB425 is fitted with ECB81-5s and is my backup and used for rehearsals.
2016 US Musicman Sterling with, Ultralights, Hipshot Double Stop & D'addario EXL165 strings

Gallien Krueger MB500

Barefaced One 10

GLX Bass Overdrive & Line6 Space Chorus FOR SALE

My Feedback

#34 discreet

Tone Atheist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

Really like D'Addario Balanced Tension EXL170BT 45-60-80-107. Excellent strings.

I'm currently using Elixir Nanoweb 50-105 Nickel Plated Rounds on my P-Bass and I'm liking those a lot, too.

Edited by discreet, 31 October 2015 - 11:32 AM.

#35 casapete

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:07 AM

EXL 170's for me on all my 34" scale basses. Used 'em for years, never a duff one, or a breakage.
Last for ages with me, although I don't sweat much at all!
Use their short scale ones on my Dano too, perfect.

#36 neepheid

'good' poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts
  • Interests:bass playing, modding, repairing, geeking - computers - sport - music - soaking up useless facts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

Although I'm principally a Hartke string user, I use D'addario XL 45-105 strings whenever I need super long scale for my thru body strung Gibsons - the regular length Hartkes just can't quite reach the A tuner with enough wrap. Been very happy with them, no complaints.

The Inevitable Teaspoons - released an EP, on the radio, award nominated, big whoop, eh?...the band

Feedback thread - please leave some if you buy from/trade with me ...feedback

'04 Epi Les Paul (not so) Standard - '15 G&L Tribute SB-2 - '15 Epi Jack Casady ...this century

'75 Gibson Ripper - '79 Gibson RD Artist - '81 Gibson Victory Artist - '86 Yamaha BB350F ...last century

BFM Omni 10.5 - RedSub BT5110 - Laney HCM30B ...ampage

"Gibson have never made a pretty bass, fact." - waynepunkdude

#37 CamdenRob

Heft doubter...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,542 posts
  • Interests:Sleep...

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

Always used D'Addario Prosteels... thinking of trying some nickles out again on my fretted basses though as I love the tone on fretless.

My go-to brand.
Bass Guitars :
Wal MK3 6 String Fretless (2017 - Figured Maple)
Wal MK3 6 String Fretted (2015 - Ziricote)

Amplification :
Epifani Piccolo 600
Barefaced One10 (x2)

http://baronmoa.bandcamp.com/releases

#38 Ghost_Bass

yamaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

Been using D'Addario practicly since i started playing. Started with the Nickelwound series and changed to ProSteels as soon as they were released. Now i have brand new sets of FlexSteels waiting to go on all my basses as soon as i have time to set them up.

For me D'Addario are the best price/durability/quality/tone compromise. Tried a lot of diferent brands (the usual suspects) and allways came back to D'Addario.

'00 Yamaha TRB-5PII | '92 Yamaha TRB-5P | '85 Yamaha BB1000S

Alembic F-1X + KMT DC5 | Genz Benz STL-9.2 | Barefaced Super12T | Promethean P5110

Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Octave Deluxe | Darkglass B3K | 3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator | EBS Multicomp | Zoom B3

My bands:
www.facebook.com/grooves.banda
www.facebook.com/naoha2sem3

My Feedback

#39 Ghost_Bass

yamaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

neepheid, on 02 November 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

Although I'm principally a Hartke string user, I use D'addario XL 45-105 strings whenever I need super long scale for my thru body strung Gibsons - the regular length Hartkes just can't quite reach the A tuner with enough wrap. Been very happy with them, no complaints.

I can add that D'Addario have a very complete range of strings and very compreensive for us to choose. My TRB is a 35" and Super Long Scale strings fit perfectly, i had problems with getting the right lenght from other brands.

'00 Yamaha TRB-5PII | '92 Yamaha TRB-5P | '85 Yamaha BB1000S

Alembic F-1X + KMT DC5 | Genz Benz STL-9.2 | Barefaced Super12T | Promethean P5110

Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Octave Deluxe | Darkglass B3K | 3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator | EBS Multicomp | Zoom B3

My bands:
www.facebook.com/grooves.banda
www.facebook.com/naoha2sem3

My Feedback

#40 D'AddarioUK

D'Addario

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:D'Addario & Planet Waves

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

Thank you all for your kind words about our bass strings, I check the forum regularly so please PM me with any questions you may have relating to any of our products.
D'Addario UK

#41 Low End Bee

Knows three of the Members

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • Interests:Brentford FC
    HP sauce
    Brothel Creepers
    Not being abducted by Aliens

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

Prosteels - 45-105 for me. I have dallied with more expensive strings such as DR and the like but they're not as good. I like a bright zingy string for pick playing.
I do miss them having silk wraps on the ends though. I just think it makes strings look nicer on a bass and I am a tart.

#42 JTUK

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 12,492 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

Personally hate silks on strings... as when I try and clean them...not that a string maker wants to read this, they get very untidy. IMO.

The only possible reason to have them is to ID batches of different makers strings but even then, I'd tie them all off in sets anyway.

#43 bluejay

Waiting for a left-handed Dingwall to GAS for

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,897 posts
  • Interests:Music (durr...!); Photography; Enjoying life

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:30 PM

D'AddarioUK, on 02 November 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

Thank you all for your kind words about our bass strings, I check the forum regularly so please PM me with any questions you may have relating to any of our products.

Thank you for your staunch support of this community and our bashes, Andy.

I'm a huge Chromes fan (they're on all of my Warwicks minus one, which has D'Addario half-rounds); I also have a lovely set of D'Addario black tapewounds on my Bass Collection.

Recent review of the half-rounds I got at the SE Bass Bash: http://basschat.co.u...sl-half-rounds/

Edited by bluejay, 03 November 2015 - 11:30 PM.

#44 40hz

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:11 PM

I've been playing 13 years and tried pretty much every string from the major brands and D'addario for me are just a cut above. My go-to string being the Flexsteels which IMO are the best strings on the planet. I know when I buy a pack, what I'm getting. They last forever, are strong as an ox, harmonically rich and have such a nice feel and tension. The guitarist in my band swears by D’Addario too.

Edited by 40hz, 03 April 2016 - 01:08 PM.

Basses
2003 Musicman USA SUB with Status neck - 1991 Warwick Streamer Stage One - 2003 Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5 - 1994 Washburn Ab10
Amps
TC BH550 + 2x TC K210
Strings
Dunlop 45-100 Stainless Steel

Feedback
http://basschat.co.u...-40hz-feedback/

#45 bottomfeed

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Life, the Universe & Everything!

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:12 AM

EXL 170 - 5's 45 - 130 All the time.... Occasionally I try others but always come back to D'Addario.

I also like the fact that they come in a sealed bag... You know they will be as fresh as when first picked! :)

#46 IanA

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:29 PM

I use xl 45-125, great tension, very punchy and lots of growl!

#47 Lozz196

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 11,491 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

I`ve just fitted a set of Pro Steel EPS160s to my Precision.First impressions are good. Seem a bit higher tension than my regular Rotosound rounds but a small adjustment on the truss rod has sorted that. The main difference is that instead of 45, 65, 80, 105 the strings are now 50, 70, 85, 105 and they seem to be more "together" tonally if that makes sense? Previously the D & G seemed overly twangy against the E & A.

Went with them as many have said they are bright sounding, which is what I need for my band. My regular sound is dead Roto rounds but as said, the band needs some top end. Plus although Rotos start out twangy, they die really quickly and again many have said that Pro Steels are long lasting. Of course it`s in the mix that counts but at the moment, I like.

Plus, Low End Bee recommends them as on post 41, and having heard his Precision strung with them, well that was recommendation enough.

Edited by Lozz196, 05 November 2015 - 06:40 PM.

Fender, Rotosound, Ashdown, Tech21, OBBM/Rock-Wire

My Feedback http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1802027

Playing Bass for Knock Off - https://knockoff.wix.com/knockoff

Knock Off October 2017 Activity:
Fri 06 - Butlins, Skegness (8pm, main stage)
Sun 08 - Arches, Coventry
Sat 14 - New Cross Inn, London
Sat 28 - The Castle Tavern, Sheerness

Currently selling:
Fender 2002 US Precision, Fender Dee Dee Ramone Precision
Ashdown RM610 Cab, Ashdown RM414 Cab (a 4ohm 410 with upgraded Eminence Beta speakers)

#48 discreet

Tone Atheist

• Members
  • 21,155 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

Lozz196, on 05 November 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

...The main difference is that instead of 45, 65, 80, 105 the strings are now 50, 70, 85, 105 and they seem to be more "together" tonally if that makes sense? Previously the D & G seemed overly twangy against the E & A.

Makes a lot of sense to me, Lozz. I think 50, 70 and 85 are way more 'natural' to a 105 - sounds more balanced across the strings. IMHO.

#49 PlungerModerno

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:19 AM

Now that I think about it I have 3 basses wearing D'Addario strings - Tapes, Flats, and rounds. And another with Elixers!

They make good sounding strings. Unlike a some manufacturers their quality control seems excellent. Will buy again.
"Tradition means not picking up the ashes, but passing on the flame." Ricarda Huch

#50 oldbass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:artystuff,guitar and tons of bass

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

My current set of flats have been on for 8 yrs and they sound good to my ears, plenty of middle etc
Just to say I didn't like them much when new, much too twangy.
Squier VM P bass,
Martin 00-21

Ampeg 2x10 combo
Rumble 1x10 combo

#51 WarrenD

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:09 PM

ProSteels for me. The low B strings have a reliably articulate, glassy ping to the tone. They're consistent, durable, available, high quality and first-class. Even the name "D'Addario" sounds refined!

#52 guyl

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

Another vote for D'addario here. In my experience they "last" longest - still sounding bright and snappy after plenty of hard gigging/sweating/drooling. Have occasionally tried others but always come back to D'addario.
Warwick Streamer 6 (with Aguilar preamp)
Yamaha 5 F'less
Fender Jazz 4
Clover Avenger 5
Tatty Upright with a Full Circle p'up
Barefaced and Markbass cabs
SWR, Genz Shuttle6, EA, Eden amps

#53 Lozz196

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 11,491 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:22 PM

Furtehr to my post above - no. 47 - I`ve now gone down a gauge, 45, 65, 80, 100, to get "the twang" so to speak. I found the heavier gauge had bucketloads of oomph, but not the amount of twang needed. And in the mix they are great, I really like them. Don`t know about how long they`ll last, but they sound pretty much now like they did out of the packet, after a few rehearsals and one gig, whereas I`d notice the difference in Rotos within a week. Looking good so far.
Fender, Rotosound, Ashdown, Tech21, OBBM/Rock-Wire

My Feedback http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1802027

Playing Bass for Knock Off - https://knockoff.wix.com/knockoff

Knock Off October 2017 Activity:
Fri 06 - Butlins, Skegness (8pm, main stage)
Sun 08 - Arches, Coventry
Sat 14 - New Cross Inn, London
Sat 28 - The Castle Tavern, Sheerness

Currently selling:
Fender 2002 US Precision, Fender Dee Dee Ramone Precision
Ashdown RM610 Cab, Ashdown RM414 Cab (a 4ohm 410 with upgraded Eminence Beta speakers)

#54 thodrik

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • Interests:Bass?

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:17 PM

I have used the balanced tension 120-50 set for the last few years. Fantastic strings for tuning below standard tuning and they are really reasonably priced.

I have used the standard nickelwound 105-45 sets one and off for the last 10 years as well. I prefer the D'addarios to Rotosound and Ernie Ball strings, but I'm not that precious about strings and will try other brands as well.

#55 DBerriff

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

I have used their nickel EXLs for years and really like them; Mike Lull fits them to his basses too. I also found their extra long 5 string sets the easiest to track down, as they are essential for the through-body B-string on a Lull.

Edited by DBerriff, 21 December 2015 - 01:45 PM.

#56 GrammeFriday

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:43 PM

Another happy D'Addario user here - EXL170s on my Sandberg VM5 and EPS170s on my MTD KZ6. Like others above, I have experimented with just about everything under the sun over the years and have found D'Addarios to offer the best overall combination of quality and value for money.

#57 IanA

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

I just had a duff E string in a pack of XL's... After emailing Daddario customer services their marketing manager emailed straight back and is sending out a some new strings and a complementary T shirt.
I cannot speak more highly of this company, this is great customer service ��

#58 Daz39

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:There are other things to be interested in that aren't Bass?

Gear:
    Peavey Millennium 4

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:28 PM

Half Rounds for me: 45-100 for me - play lovely and smooth.

#59 TheGreek

..Seeking enlightenment..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts
  • Interests:...Winning or Inheriting a lot of money...

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:50 PM

Good to see that D'Addario continue to support the community by providing the Beta Test group with their new NYXL strings to test before they're even available to buy in the UK. Haven't had a chance to test mine yet due to a trapped nerve but I'm expecting good things.

I value everybody's opinion...especially when it's the same as mine

For Sale:

http://basschat.co.u...iot-headscombo/

http://basschat.co.u...500-with-cover/

See what others have to say: http://basschat.co.u...k-for-thegreek/

#60 Billy Apple

Sad Wannabe and Failed Guitarist

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

I got a pack of flex steels at the bash and put them on my Spector when it was set up at the Gallery. Bloody great! :)
'16 Spector Forte 5 Helium Custom '14 Spector NS2 Helium. '81 Marshall Super Bass. Burman MPA/SL100. EAD Foundation 212. Darkglass B7K. MXR M83 Bass Chorus Deluxe MXR M87 Compressor. TC Polytune. D'Addario and La Bella. OBBM Cables. Couple of Wishbasses.

NR TBird Build

Feedback

BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

For Sale:
Jackson Surfcaster

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users