Why become a member? ×

Any Love for D'addario Bass Strings?

Che

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1445379073' post='2891139']
They've been representing at two of our Bash's so props from me just for giving the time to the grass-roots types guys who are doing it.
[/quote]
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1445734072' post='2893809']
I`ve used Chromes a few times over the years, but at present need that clank you get from rounds, so back to what I know, Rotosounds. But kudos to D`Addario, as above, they`ve now been to 2 of the bashes, nice to see a company do stuff like this.
[/quote]

Yep got to agree...Andy from D'Addario is a really nice fella who has supported events in this part of the country even though he lives/works in the NE - now that's customer service!!

I've used them on guitar for as far back as I can remember. Great strings. I have been using d'addario pro steels on my basses for the past 3 years and recently am trying out some elixir's on the bass I use for reggae as I don't need that piano like tone for that.

Been using them for years. Mainly going between EXL-165s and EXB83s.

The EXLs are about as close as I've been able to get a roundwound string to feel like a flatwound.

I did briefly change them from the 165-5s to Elixir stainless 45s on the BB1025. A few slides up and down the neck and I thought I had sliced my finger open they are so rough. Plus the tension is a lot higher as well making fretting the notes really difficult. So they're off and back in the packet after one gig never to be used again.

As of today I've put on a set of ECB80s Chromes 45, 65, 75, 95 and a 132 B which I had do buy separately as they only do 5 string Chromes in 45s. A lot lighter than I am used to but they feel really nice and I'm looking forward to being able to play a bit closer to the bridge like I used to.

The BB425 is fitted with ECB81-5s and is my backup and used for rehearsals.

Although I'm principally a Hartke string user, I use D'addario XL 45-105 strings whenever I need super long scale for my thru body strung Gibsons - the regular length Hartkes just can't quite reach the A tuner with enough wrap. Been very happy with them, no complaints.

Been using D'Addario practicly since i started playing. Started with the Nickelwound series and changed to ProSteels as soon as they were released. Now i have brand new sets of FlexSteels waiting to go on all my basses as soon as i have time to set them up.

For me D'Addario are the best price/durability/quality/tone compromise. Tried a lot of diferent brands (the usual suspects) and allways came back to D'Addario.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1446463154' post='2899463']
Although I'm principally a Hartke string user, I use D'addario XL 45-105 strings whenever I need super long scale for my thru body strung Gibsons - the regular length Hartkes just can't quite reach the A tuner with enough wrap. Been very happy with them, no complaints.
[/quote]

I can add that D'Addario have a very complete range of strings and very compreensive for us to choose. My TRB is a 35" and Super Long Scale strings fit perfectly, i had problems with getting the right lenght from other brands.

Prosteels - 45-105 for me. I have dallied with more expensive strings such as DR and the like but they're not as good. I like a bright zingy string for pick playing.
I do miss them having silk wraps on the ends though. I just think it makes strings look nicer on a bass and I am a tart.

Personally hate silks on strings... as when I try and clean them...not that a string maker wants to read this, they get very untidy. IMO.

The only possible reason to have them is to ID batches of different makers strings but even then, I'd tie them all off in sets anyway.

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1446477522' post='2899634']
Thank you all for your kind words about our bass strings, I check the forum regularly so please PM me with any questions you may have relating to any of our products.
[/quote]

Thank you for your staunch support of this community and our bashes, Andy.

I'm a huge Chromes fan (they're on all of my Warwicks minus one, which has D'Addario half-rounds); I also have a lovely set of D'Addario black tapewounds on my Bass Collection.

Recent review of the half-rounds I got at the SE Bass Bash: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/272224-daddario-enr71sl-half-rounds/"]http://basschat.co.u...sl-half-rounds/[/url]

Edited by bluejay

I've been playing 13 years and tried pretty much every string from the major brands and D'addario for me are just a cut above. My go-to string being the Flexsteels which IMO are the best strings on the planet. I know when I buy a pack, what I'm getting. They last forever, are strong as an ox, harmonically rich and have such a nice feel and tension. The guitarist in my band swears by D’Addario too.

Edited by 40hz

I`ve just fitted a set of Pro Steel EPS160s to my Precision.First impressions are good. Seem a bit higher tension than my regular Rotosound rounds but a small adjustment on the truss rod has sorted that. The main difference is that instead of 45, 65, 80, 105 the strings are now 50, 70, 85, 105 and they seem to be more "together" tonally if that makes sense? Previously the D & G seemed overly twangy against the E & A.

Went with them as many have said they are bright sounding, which is what I need for my band. My regular sound is dead Roto rounds but as said, the band needs some top end. Plus although Rotos start out twangy, they die really quickly and again many have said that Pro Steels are long lasting. Of course it`s in the mix that counts but at the moment, I like.

Plus, Low End Bee recommends them as on post 41, and having heard his Precision strung with them, well that was recommendation enough.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1446748798' post='2902066']
...The main difference is that instead of 45, 65, 80, 105 the strings are now 50, 70, 85, 105 and they seem to be more "together" tonally if that makes sense? Previously the D & G seemed overly twangy against the E & A.
[/quote]

Makes a lot of sense to me, Lozz. I think 50, 70 and 85 are way more 'natural' to a 105 - sounds more balanced across the strings. IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...