Why become a member? ×

Any Love for D'addario Bass Strings?

Che

• 2 weeks later...

Furtehr to my post above - no. 47 - I`ve now gone down a gauge, 45, 65, 80, 100, to get "the twang" so to speak. I found the heavier gauge had bucketloads of oomph, but not the amount of twang needed. And in the mix they are great, I really like them. Don`t know about how long they`ll last, but they sound pretty much now like they did out of the packet, after a few rehearsals and one gig, whereas I`d notice the difference in Rotos within a week. Looking good so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used the balanced tension 120-50 set for the last few years. Fantastic strings for tuning below standard tuning and they are really reasonably priced.

I have used the standard nickelwound 105-45 sets one and off for the last 10 years as well. I prefer the D'addarios to Rotosound and Ernie Ball strings, but I'm not that precious about strings and will try other brands as well.

I have used their nickel EXLs for years and really like them; Mike Lull fits them to his basses too. I also found their extra long 5 string sets the easiest to track down, as they are essential for the through-body B-string on a Lull.

Edited by DBerriff

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a duff E string in a pack of XL's... After emailing Daddario customer services their marketing manager emailed straight back and is sending out a some new strings and a complementary T shirt.
I cannot speak more highly of this company, this is great customer service

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see that D'Addario continue to support the community by providing the Beta Test group with their new NYXL strings to test before they're even available to buy in the UK. Haven't had a chance to test mine yet due to a trapped nerve but I'm expecting good things.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I use EXL from 2003, I've tried many other brands, I liked some, hated some... the ones I liked were just different, not better but costed twice as much. I tried Chromes too, super powerfull strings, I turned back to EXL only for the feeling and tension on my fretless, it's an 8 string so 8 string + flats was like asking a little much to my hands! :D
Anyway, if I have to recommend EXL against other nickel plated strings it's becouse they have something in the mids/high mids that other strings don't have.
Another thing to consider, from 2003 I encountered only a bad E string, so, + or - 10 sets a year, that is a bad string over 130 sets of strings, Amazing! B)

D'Addario, I beg you to not change the EXL formula, please. :happy:

[quote name='davideuck' timestamp='1457581521' post='2999854']
I think I use EXL from 2003, I've tried many other brands, I liked some, hated some... the ones I liked were just different, not better but costed twice as much. I tried Chromes too, super powerfull strings, I turned back to EXL only for the feeling and tension on my fretless, it's an 8 string so 8 string + flats was like asking a little much to my hands! :D
Anyway, if I have to recommend EXL against other nickel plated strings it's becouse they have something in the mids/high mids that other strings don't have.
Another thing to consider, from 2003 I encountered only a bad E string, so, + or - 10 sets a year, that is a bad string over 130 sets of strings, Amazing! B)

D'Addario, I beg you to not change the EXL formula, please. :happy:
[/quote]

I'm happy to confirm that there are no plans to change the EXL formula!

If nothing else they are certainly interesting and good of course.
My 70s P bass wears an old dull thuddy set of flats which is great..another P wears a slightly newer set of flats which are as bright now seven yrs after I first fitted them which seems pretty unusual.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1458332320' post='3006816']
The only reason I don't use D'Addario Prosteels is that I use Elixir strings! I know there's a rumour that they're D'Addarios in a condom and the sound is so close there may be some truth to it.
[/quote]

Not my view, i've used a few Elixir coated sets in the past and the sound just wasn't there for me... too artificial is the best way i can describe it, too harsh in the highs and lows but not very harmonic sounding. Replaced it for EXL until The ProSteels were released and now i'm trying my first FlexSteel sets, The Pro and Flex last at least as much as Elixir, cost about a third of the price and the tone is much richer, IMO they are miles appart from each other.